revolver shackles and z-boxes

skyjeeper

i'm thinking of going with revolver shackles front and rear.
i might do a shackle reversal in the front with z-boxes ( or no reversal and z-boxes).

has anyone used theese?

i'm looking for opinions of how theese ride and flex.

thanks a lot,
derek

I have not heard anything bad about the revolver shackles but the reversal thing is going to bring out a bunch of comments. I for one think the reversal is a good thing for a road or mainly used on the road jeep but not for a trail or mostly used for the trail jeep. From all the research and post I have read it seems the reversal will help smooth out the road but hurts on athe tral. Now if you could improve the approach with the z box I could see it maybe a good trail move but the z box hangs down just as far as the front mounted shackles. Skyjeeper my friend you have opened a can of worms here. Do a search or shackle reversal and also do one on zbox and see what all the past post have to offer you. Good luck in what ever you do and keep us posted. tug

Don't waste your money on the shackle reversal, the slight gains in onroad performance are in no way worth the cost, time, and offroad limitations.

I'd stick with only adding revolvers and z-boxes to one end, preferably the rear. This will provide the flex you seek while keeping the jeep more stable.

You want some sick flex, check out the ZigZag by NthDegreeMobility.com, it locks for road use and would be more stable than revolvers and z-boxes.
image-missing.png

I have the Revolver Shackles front an rear and love them. They work great off road, have taken all the abuse I've put them through and didn't notice any difference in handling on the street. If you get them, you'll need longer shocks in the front and a sway bar disconnect. I have a 2 1/2" lift on my YJ and the Revolvers lifted it another 3/4". I origionally bought shocks for a 2 1/2" lift and they were too short for the Revolvers to open completley. I bought shocks for a 4" suspension lift and they fit fine. I thought I'd have problems with them bottoming out but I can still push the front tires all the way up into the wheel well without any problems. If you go with the Revolvers and Z-Boxes in the rear, you'll most likely need limiting straps on the axles...at least that's what I've seen and read in other articles on the web. The only problem I've encountered is the front trac bar limiting the Revolvers. I've tried removing the front trac bar but I get too much side to side movement of the front axle which caused the steering to go way out of alignment and is very hard to control over any bump you hit. I'm trying to come up with a way to keep the front axle from moving from side to side and still get full articulation of my suspension. If you have anything larger that a 2 1/2"-3" suspension lift, you'll neet a SYE kit and CV driveshaft.

Bounty__Hunter said:
You want some sick flex, check out the ZigZag by NthDegreeMobility.com

Man that thing is awesome! I want one!

I think, like Tug said, you have opened up a can of worms. I like to fish so i am going to pull one out. I think that items such as the revolvers and others miss the point of why you need flex. Yes, the revolvers tend to get your tires closer to the ground in certain situations, but without weight on that tire, nothing is gained. Tire touching ground+no weight on that tire=burned up tires. They sure do look good on the ramp though. I agree that Flex is important, but before any of those options, I would look at lockers for the axles. Just my opinion. HJope it helps.

Todd

the zig zag looks sweet (haven't readinto it yet) but from the pick it looks like it might not work with the bulletr proof bumper i want.
i'm looking into possibly buggy springs in the rear.
won't have to worry about the sye, got a dana 300 to replace my shattered 231.
i'll be putting lockers in my d44 and 14 bolt when i get them.
i haven't looked to much into the shackle reversal yet, but from what you guys are saying i think that's not the way for me to go.

Back