Electrical Help...

Red77CJ

maybe one of the toughest things to deal with but here it goes.

I have a 77 CJ5 mostly stock with I6, T150 Transmission (3spd manual) and Dana 20 T-case. I am trying to get my 4WD light to work. I have the wiring diagram (Haynes '49-86 jeeps) but that doesnt give me locations. I need to find out where the 4WD switch is (diagram says Kickdown, Quadra Trac)I assume on the T-case but I cant find any electrical connections.

I am at least the 3rd owner of this jeep so far. The previous owners where not so concerned with a lot of the systems as I am. I have found the connector (yellow and orange wires) in the engine comparment that leads to the firewall passthrough panel. I have found the proper circuit in the fuse box. I have also found the under dash connector (2 yellow wire switch connector labeled as trans kickdown on schematic). By providing ground I can can prove circuit continuity.

At this point I dont know where the under hood connector physically goes or where the under dash connector (havent looked yet) connects too. The diagram shows a single wire connection but no ground circuit. Many other circuits show the ground connection.

So my questions are:

where can I find the switch for the 4WD light?
is the kickdown a seperate circuit?
do I need a kickdown on a manual transmission?
do I have the option of a 4WD light on my jeep?

Welcome Red77CJ,
I'm only a few post ahead of you and am focussing on manuvering around the forum more so that Q & A ing, but am like a fine wine and will get better with time. I might be able to trace that Q down in a couple of days. My Mrs. (the B in LBR) bought her 77 red CJ-5 new with the 304, T150, etc. It came with all options sans air conditioning, which includes the 77 Jeep Technical Manual. Will research your Q unless one of these Jerus (JEEP GURUS) get to ya before. LBR

Welcome to the board!!

The connector you are looking for can only be found on the T-case. It should be located near the speedo gear. Is the dana 20 the original T-case for that particular rig? I thought the quadra trac found in the 76-79 applications had the 4 wd light.

As for the Kick down, That would only be found on a jeep with the quadra-trac and a automatic. The kickdown cable is not found on the T150/Dana 20 set up as far as I know (???unless you have cruise control???)

I am no CJ expert, But I can at best assume to help!!

Johnny

Quadratrac is a full time 4wd case found behind an auto transmission from 76-79, only in cj7s and full size jeeps. If you have a 5, you don't have qtrac, and you say its a D20, which is the tcase for a manual of that year. I have a qtrac. The light doesn't work, but I know the wire leads to a switch on the case. I don't know about the d20, but I would start there. Also, I don't know anything about the kickdown circuit, but I know its separate on my rig. good luck.

The switch should be on the transfer case. Probably on the top of the shift rail. Mine has a plastic plug there. There are no other wires that go to the transfer case so if you knock all the old goo and gear oil off of there you will find it. After that check the light bulb in the gauge cluster.

Darn, I had a nice long message and it didnt take for some reason. So I'll do the short version.

I looked long and hard but I cant find any thing that looks like an electrical connection on my D20. Nothing near the shifter or the speedo cable.

Thanks LBR that maybe just what I need...

Thanks to everyone that has replied. I learned something here today.

The Rooster is from all over the place. More recently residing in AL.

Swap a carter w/ a carter? What was i thinking?

Hi again Red77cj - Here is what I found in the original 77 Jeep Technical Manual for your questions - 1) according to this bible, there is absolutely no mention of our 1977 model 20 transfer case having a switch for a cluster light of any kind - there is an exploded diagram for 62 components and no switch for such a use. However, there is a switch in the quadra-trac unit that is called "emergency drive indicator switch". 2) I am sure kickdown is referring to the automatic transmission for 3rd to 2nd shifting in high range under full throttle like most cars (may be an override to NOT allow kickdown when in lowrange due to torque multiplication and breakage issues?) 3) no kick down is needed with the manual transmission 4) the easiest option that I see to your request is to use that orange and yellow wire connector in the engine compartment (it is there to plug a jumper into the quadra-trac transmission and does lead to the bulb in the cluster) and hook up to a fabricated switch at the base of your shifter for reverse selection only. The yellow wire (#54-16 gauge) goes to the transmission kickdown switch, then to the fuseblock. The orange wire (#56-16 gauge) goes directly to the cluster bulb in the speedo. How about it all of you Jerus, anyone have a 1977 model 20 transfer with a 4x4 switch, or was this "The year before the switch???"

Thanks LBR!!! thats what my book says also. Shows all the details. Bet if you look under the dash in the rats nest of wires you will find a 2 yellow wire connector similar to the backup connector on the transmission. Guess it doesnt connect to anything either.

I guess I dont need a dumby light for my 4WD but most of dont think we do until we have to replace a seal for running the T-case with unlocked hubs.

I may just fabricate an indicator with 2 limit switches on the t-case. One forward for 4low and one back for 4 high ( I think). 2W and N are center positions. Shouldnt be hard with the dash wired. Thing is keeping it going once it gets muddy, wet and general crude on it...

again thanks to everyone for your help.

Back