Swap a carter w/ a carter? What was i thinking?

red89yj

K, so the bad news is that i need a new carb; the good news is that im replacing the carter! I had a carter on my old engine before i swapped it out after my oil pump dried up and the motor seized after a transmission rebuild. (Thanks AAMCO) ANYWAY, that carb ran great. I swapped in a turn-key 258 with another carter, and now it has gone to shit. BBD should stand for "Buy Better, Dude" :roll: I tried swapping the messed up carb with the old one, and now its running worse. TIME FOR A NEW ONE! WAHOO! now the ultimate and famous question: WEBER or MOTORCRAFT?

Here are the MUSTS:

The intake must stay OEM. all adapters are fair game
Must Not Hinder my already shitty emissions.
UNDER $350

Now, with that said, i have done some research and it apparently seems that most people like their motorcraft 2150's ( 1.08 ) I have never seen them in action, but i believe what i hear. My neighbor had the WEBER on his YJ, and it seemed awesome. I am looking for arguments for either or; or atleast a direction as to where i can find PROS and CONS to the decision. Also, i know the weber has its own independent filter and does away with that unsightly air cleaner; does the motorcraft use the stock air cleaner or does it also get its own?

Sorry for the long post, but this is possibly the most important mod that i am making at the moment and i dont want to have to regret it. Thank you all for your time.

Rich

Full Hard Doors

running the 2150 525 cfm 2.01 and I love it! Picks up fast and starts good and runs like a champ. I think the 400 cfm would be better but either way no way would I pay for a webber whan I could save bucks and run as well if not better with the motorcraft. . tug

What is up with this Nutter Bypass stuff I am reading about? If i go with the motorcraft, what am i going to have to do in reguards to vacuum hoses, computer stuff and emissions lines?

Well that's the problem with replacing the carb. No matter whether you go with the Weber or the Motorcraft you will have to do the bypass since niether have the electronics. I have the Motorcraft 2150 (1.08) and I love it. It runs great and has so much more power. It is a higher cfm than a webber I believe. I think they are only about 300 cfm and my Motorcraft is 400 cfm. The only Vacuum you need for the engine to run is the Vacuum Advance on the Dist. and PVC. As for the Air Cleaner I got the cheap preformance one from Autozone. It works great and gets rid of the unsightly stock one. I hope that helps.

ok That Face isn't supposed to me there it is supposed to me an 8

The Motorcraft 2150 is the obvious choice here, don't forget the adapter plate for the intake. I've seen both the Weber and Motorcraft on the trail, and the Motorcraft works better on steep inclines and has fewer overall issues than the weber.

If you have to pass emissions than you have to consider that. Webers are not emissions legal and some people will fail you just for having one even if it will pass. I am not sure on the Motorcraft but if you can get it tuned right you should be OK.

Emissions? What are those?
A Jeep that doesn't blow whisps of smoke or leak in the driveway isn't much of a Jeep.
They should pass Jeeps on principle.

even though the weber is on sale at collins bros. its still expensive. if i would have known about the motorcraft when i got rid of my carter i would have gotten the motorcraft instead of the weber. dont get me wrong i like my weber....easy to tune and reliable, but if the motorcraft is as easy to tune and straight forward as the weber go with that.

Okay, i think im going to go with the motorcraft. Anyone here know where i can get one fast? I tried autozone, and it was a 5 day wait, and it wasnt even motorcraft, it was a champion 2150 and a tomco 2150, but both were for the '79 pinto 6cyl. Also, i want to know about all of the modifications that are necessary to get it to work right. Either a write up from A to Z will be most helpful, or atleast a link that will tell me how and what to do. Thank you everyone, youre amazingly helpful

red89yj said:
Must Not Hinder my already shitty emissions.
UNDER $350

In Northern Virginia, the only thing that is legal on that year is the carter. I know of a couple of people that have to switch the od carb back on in order to pass an emissions test. However I got the impression it depends on the inspection station.

Just do your research, and save the old parts.

swapping a engine into a j20

I dont think new york has visual inspection. My dads cousin has a shop anyway, so i have a slight advantage; however when it comes to readings, my Nox reading was too high...

Glad we don't have emissions testing. They've got it 12 miles to the north, being as that's closer to St. Louis. Won't be long everybody will be under the regs.

K, I called carbcareusa.com and placed my order. $185 including free shipping and core charge, free gasket, 6 month warranty. 1.08 400CFM motorcraft 2150 off a 79 pinto 171 6cyl. call me nuts, but i think i have found the deal of deals. It should be here in 4-5 working days! im excited

:lol:

I bought mine through Advance Auto Parts for the same price and was here over night. Still you found a great deal dont forget your Mr Gasket #1937 adapter plate. tug

Back