Ignition Module

derff96963

I have a simple Wiring question. Lets say on a 80 CJ7 With the standard Ford ignition system. My Manual says one wire from the ignition module goes to the starter soleniod. Where on the soleniod does it go? What is the purpose of it.

Hi,

Maybe it's the main power source for the module/ coil. It would attach to the starter solenoid to get a constant hot?

-Nick :!:

That is another wire. It runs without it, but it is hard starting. I was thinkings that it is why it doesn't want to start. I just put a new distributor in it and that required a new ignition module for the new style dist. I hooked everything else up and it runs great. It made a huge difference, but now when I go to start it the starter cranks real fast for a second, then bogs down, cranks fast again and bogs. After about 4 seconds of this it ususally started but it doesnt sound good. I though it was the started and the old one was going bad so I swaped it for a new one (under warranty :) ) Any Ideas?

You say you changed the distributor? Is the timing set correctly? Uncorrect timing could make for a hard start. :)

od

I solved that problem and Got another. Now it keeps blowing Ignition Modules. I have gone through 2 since tuesday. The wiring is right and it runs good until all of the sudden it will die. I have done the TFI Upgrade. Could the High output coil be hurting the Module? Anyone else had this problem?

I am sure someone has had this problem before. I switched back to the stock coil and I haven't had a problem since. However I really would like to use the better coil it has noticably more power with it. Does anyone have any Ideas besides putting a resistor in line with the signal wire from the coil to limit the current. The problem is I figure out I need a 2 ohm resistor with Like 20 Watts Disapation and I haven't found one yet. Anyone have any other ideas?

Back