blazer blower upgrade problem, maybe.

1981CJ5

Just completed my blazer blower upgrade Sunday. On the way to work this morning I noticed that my amp gauge was staying around 12 amps. Normally it will be around 14-16, except when I use my cig. lighter, then it drops to 12. But with the new blower going it was running steady at 12.

Is this a problem? I am learning as I go with my CJ, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. I have no other electrical upgrades, yet. Do I need to look at replacing my voltage regulator or just upgrading to a new higher amp alternator? If a new alternator is the answer, which one is a direct replacement?

Thanks, Joel

Hi,

Is this +12 amps or -12 amps on the gauge? What I mean is, is it reading 12 amps being drawn from the battery, or 12 amps being recharged into the battery?

I'll assume it's the latter? Three amps difference shouldn't greatly affect the operation of the electrical system. No two electric motors are identical, and the new blazer motor might just pull more power due to it's design.

Other possibilities include a loose or corroded connection somewhere, motor not spinning freely (due to lack of air flow or bad motor bearings).

-Nick :!:

The blazer motor does draw much more current than the stock motor. From what I have gathered, people with this and other electrical upgrades have commonly upgraded their alternator. If you do go with a higher amp alternator, please let me know what you go with and how it works out. Its on my list of things to do.

He's not looking at his amp gauge thats your volt gauge. Yeah a larger motor is going to cause a greater voltage drop when on.

Back