What is this and what does it do.

Ragtopman

Being the muscle car guy I am I made a home made cold air intake for my wifes 91 wrangler 4.0l. I removed the box used the rubber 90 to the trottle body added some 3" exhaust pipe added a nipple for the valve cover breather and a cone filter. Works good , but there was a second breather off the box that goes to this can thing mounted under the master cylinder. It has a return to the intake. What is it, what does it do, and can I get rid of it?

~Art

I think the can thing is for the fuel system. I'm only guessing, but I think that's the coal fuel vapor filter thingy.... just a guess though.

I believe it's your charcoal canister. I'm not totally sure what it's function is but I think it has something to do with your fuel return....I could be wrong.

Your gas tank vents into the charcoal canister, the fumes are absorbed by the charcoal, then when you run the car the air flow reverses and the fumes are pulled back into the system. If you are subject to being emissions tested then you should leave it alone for sure, probably should anyway since there are no performance gains from removing it, tread lightly :wink:

Back