Exhaust to EGR connection

NeilFrisch

NO HEAT

1988 Wrangler with 6 cylinder engine. The exhaust system was replaced due to catalytic converter failure. There is a connection on the exhaust near the exhaust manifold for a tube to the EGR. Twice using a "flexible" connector at this location it has melted. How is this tube supposed to be connected? Or is it indicative of another problem?

is it an egr, or is it a heat exchanger... an egr will bring actual exhaust back to the intake... and exchanger will only help heat up the incoming air... i know on many carbed motors... the heat exchanger simply connects the two manifolds, and is a tube for heat to move directly

The connection is off the exhaust pipe very close to the exhaust manifold. The tube goes back and under the engine and then up on the passenger side of the engine into what I thought is the EGR. The tube also is connected further back (I think past the CAT) on the exhaust. It is roughly 1/2" diameter.

It is not the bigger, metal flex that brings heat up to the air intake.

The vehicle definitely ran better with the connection made. The problem is that twice a high temp rubber connection has been used near the manifold and twice it has burned off. Something else must need to be used to make the connection?

Thats not your egr. THat sounds like your pulse air system. I have a 88yj as well. I just pulled all that stuff off my jeep. No emissons here either.

is this what your talking about

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/pulseair.htm

By the way this link rocks. It will tell you about every thing under your hood. (vacum and emissions wise)

Electric fan control

Just a note, you can and will ruin your engine if you run it too long without a properly working EGR system...

-Nick :!:

Yeah, after further review I think it is the pulse air system. What do I have to use to connect it back to the exhaust near the manifold? Apparently "rubber" high temp connectors are not the answer. It has a new catalytic converter and exhaust so flow shouldn't be a problem...I assume its just because it is so close to the manifold.

You can try a piece of metal tubing rated for the heat and some JB weld. I dont know if the JB will hold up though. That or find a welder.

As for not having a egr affecting my motor. That is very debatable. I have not had one on my motor for over 100,000 miles and it is still going strong at 188,000 and counting.

Thanks for the input. It will need to pass state emissions testing so I can't remove everything. Just need to figure out if there is still an airflow problem or if a different piece needs to be used.

pushead said:
As for not having a egr affecting my motor. That is very debatable. I have not had one on my motor for over 100,000 miles and it is still going strong at 188,000 and counting.

I agree... as most things are debatable. However my reaction to something such as this is: If Jeep bothered to put an EGR system on their engines, it is there for a good reason...

I only hope my TJ's engine will last through 355,000+ miles like my Cherokee's first engine did... :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

It will need to pass state emissions testing so I can't remove everything.

My 90 YJ passed NJ inspection (visual/sniff/etc) at the DMV with the Pulse Air tubes Blocked, the EGR Valve Blocked, and a bunch of other "adjustments"

Basically I just had Stock Cat Converter and the Carter Carb, and that's about it.

Rich

Back