Lockers

88Wrangles

I have a 1988 Wrangler with the original Dana 35 in the rear. I would really like to put a locker in the rear only, but all the 4x4 places here that I have talked to say that they don't recommend it. They say that the vehicle would be too unstable.

So my question is, what do you guys think. My Jeep is usually driven daily on-road and off-road a lot. If I do get one, I want it to actually work, and be pretty cheap. What do you reccomend I do?

I have a Lockright in my TJ and its a DD/Trail-Rig Its bee nin there for about a year and holding up fine and its not too bad on the road

MUDDY ALTERNATOR

Im really suprised tat there are offroad shops out there telling you this? I mean yes, your vehicle will act differntly with a locker in it if you get a mechanical style locker. But one, you could either just deal with this, thousands of people do. Or two, you could get an selectable locker like an air locker or electric locker. That way when your on road you can turn it off and when off road turn in on. The only problem is that you want this locker to be cheap so the selectable lockers would be out of the question. But still, I know alot of people running detroit lockers, lock rite lockers, and many more with no problems.

If you drive it on road a lot get a limited slip. Lockers are great off road but most people can get by with a limited slip, and they act much better on the road. I'm gonna put a limited slip in the back and a true locker in the front, but I've got a CJ so I can unlock my hubs on the front where the locker will be effectivly "unhooked" until I need it.

Get a lunchbox locker (no-slip, EZlocker, LockRight, Aussie) as they are easy to install and have fairly decent road manners. You get used to thier driving quirks.

Go in and tell them you are going to install a Lincoln Locker and watch thier faces :lol:

What about spools instead of a locker? I know they are excelent in trucks, but would it be a good idea to put in a Jeep. would it be too rough on the axles/rear end?

88Wrangles said:
What about spools instead of a locker? I know they are excelent in trucks, but would it be a good idea to put in a Jeep. would it be too rough on the axles/rear end?
There are no spools made for the stock D30 and D35 found in YJ's. No mini-spools either. I improvised and had the spider gears welded in both differentials (Lincoln Lockers). I run the 4cyl. with 32" MT's and no problems onroad or off. Takes a little getting used to onroad, it's not for everybody, but you can't beat the traction offroad. Easier on the axleshafts than an automatic locker.

Depends on how much you're offroad, and what type of wheelin you do.

Easier on the axleshafts than an automatic locker.

I agree. Just cruising around a turn the locker will allow some slip and therefore be easier on the shafts, but under power the spool is easier on the shafts than the hammering ratchet action of the automatic locker. I wouldn't run a spool or welded spiders on a street vehicle, but as long as you are always on your toes and paying attention they aren't that bad.

Hey look at that, another fellow Oregonian, us west coasters are starting to make an impact... Maybe we will have trips to write about for once instead of always being jealous of you easterner's trip stories. If tire wear isn't an issue, a welded diff may be for you, as it alleviates some of the hinderances associated with auto's such as sudden lane changes and noise. But the new aussie locker for the D35 looks promising, there is a review posted at pirate4x4.com

Thank you very much for all the help, It is much appreciated!!

laneiac, are we the only Oregon Jeep owners in here? Where in OR do you live, anywhere near Eugene?

High 5 Laneiac and 88Wrangles - Oregonians rule (in our own minds) - 'cept Laneiac wants to move to Las Vegas so the rumor goes - had a Lincoln locker in the Mrs's 79 CJ with 14.5 x 35s and she spun the driver's side 2 pc axle/hub combo on the way home from Eugene the day we bought it (too much traction on dry asphalt) - smoothed those splines RIGHT out (was befuddled at the time why it still motored on until I pulled the cover and seen the welded spider gears) - temporarly swapped in my stock 77 CJ model 20 (limited slip) - much happier camper now - I do not recommend a Lincoln locker or spool for the street in a daily driver - have a pro-street 57 Chevy with a spooled Dana 60 and steamrollers - I cringe at 90 degree corners because something HAS to give - 1 of these days it will be an axle - don't resort back to the 1950's and weld spider gears. LBR

LBR said:
don't resort back to the 1950's and weld spider gears. LBR
It's more common now than it was in the '50s :p

The AMC20 didn't puke the splines at the hub because of the lincoln locker alone. Any locker coupled with 35" tires and an AMC20 2-piece axleshaft will spin the hub. Poor example.

I'm a big fan of using whatever works for you. If you're up to it, have the spiders welded together with a 220 MIG by a competent welder. If you don't like it, replace the spiders and you'll be out whatever the new or used spider gears cost, cheap. I've seldom heard bad comments from somebody who has actually ran a spool on the trail and street.

Rusty's 3" lift - Add A Leaf kit vs Full Spring kit

I have a D35 in the rear on my 2002 X. Most of the people I ride with and the shops have recommended to me that if I install a locker in the rear, to upgrade to a Superior 35 axles and change the gearing from 3.07 to 4.11. Apparently, the locker puts a lot of strain on the stock axles which can eventually lead to one snapping because of the extra stress. The gear change was just recommended since I was going to be in there anyway to install the locker.

The Super 35 kit is just polishing a turd, throwing a lot of money into an axle to still have thin axle tubes and small ring and pinion gears. It's cheaper to install a Dana44 or Ford 8.8 and you'll get a lot more beef, getting your money's worth.

88Wrangles, I am in living in Corvallis right now, going to school, so anytime u want to go wheeling drop me a pm! LBR, me and the girlfriend/soon to be fiance changed our minds, we are staying in Oregon for quite a while now, so lets get together and do some jeeping.

Well, I think i'm going to go ahead and find someone to weld the spider gears. If anything breaks from too much stress, well...I could use a better rear-end anyways. Thanks for all the help!!!

Like I said, make sure an experienced welder uses a 220 mig and fills up each hole where the spider gears mesh, that'll be 8 weld spots per diff. Don't weld the spiders to the diff case, just spider gear to spider gear. The more metal the better.

Scrape a cold chisel across the ring gear teeth by hand, the weld splatter easily scrapes off. Clean that housing up good before and after.

itching, dude - you plot Florence, Eugene, and Corvallis on the map and you end up with an Oregonia triangle - (I went to high school in Lebanon, Or) poor ole 88Wrangles is getting info in all directions on this thread - guess that's what makes us all individuals, huh? LBR

Back