Windshield Wipers are Out

MerkL

My windshield wipers on my '94 YJ went out last week during a light rain, thank God. When it stopped raining, I checked and my motor still comes on, but it's like my wipers themselves are off track or something. Anyway, what is the easiest way to get to my wiper assembly, from inside?

Thanks

The YJ is not the easiest to work on. First you need to remove the foreward bars that attach the sport cage to the windshield frame. At this point if you do not have a good set of torx sockets, go buy them. Next you need to remove the the two mounting points on the at the top of the dash. From there the windshield folds forewardthe reveal the inner workings. Have fun. Remeber to disconnect the battery before starting this project. You do not want to get your hands in the wiper assembly and accidently start the wiper motor. Hope this helps. Also go buy a good manual, I use the Haines and Chiltons. About 10 bucks at any auto parts store.

Todd :D

paragon 2/22

Well, my wipers finally caught up with me this weekend during a thunderstorm. I finally had to fix them. PatriotJeep was right, they're a piece to deal with. And if your track bar ever comes off, good luck. Just wanted to thank PatriotJeep for the help.

YJ wipers are really strange, I have replaced all of the hardware in the windshield frame; let me tell you it was not easy. I even completely rebuilt my steering column (including the wiper switch). The darn wipers still give me trouble at times. It has been raining all week. Sometimes they just stop half way through a swip. I hear this is a common problem on YJ's. I am beginning to think it is the intermittent box under the dash.

My dash leaks a LOT (I MEAN A LOT) of water. I am thinking the water shorts out that box. This is just one of those problems that needs to be taken care of soon because it is shorting out my cd player also. Not to mention the wet shoes, socks, and pants I have to put up with. :evil:

Thank goodness I don't have that problem. My YJ has been through some pretty bad typhoons, and no leaks, except for the craptacular half doors.

Back