Quadratrac / Speedo

jay79cj7

I know this isn't a popular t case, but I figured I would throw a line out there... I have the qtrac in my CJ7 and plan on putting some bigger tires on there in the future. Does anybody know how to calibrate the speedo? I have looked all over and have found write-ups for various t cases where you just have to drop in a new gear on the tcase output, but I haven't seen a thing for the qtrac.

Thanks in advance.

If there's any hope of calibrating the speedo, you'll have to look at where the speedo cable connects to the transfer case, see if it can be modified.

its called a Pinion speedo gear... you have to get one that matches your ratio/tire size... I was told to get mine at a dealer but they ended up giving me one that was for a different jeep. The shaft going to the speedo cable was too short. I hunted one down from a guy that works on jeeps and had saved a bunch of different size speedo gears.

Anyway here is a post that helped me out on the install and finding the correct one.

http://www.ilovejeeps.com/forums/showthread.php?s=4bf7bc1c61c787ec8b488f84790df50c&threadid=11657

The part # may be wrong on this site, thats how I got the one with the short shaft.

Yeah, I have seen those write-ups, but the qtrac isn't quite the same set up as the NP231. Its similar, but different. If anybody knows if the qtrac is recalibrated as easily as this, and particularly if you know where I can pick up one of these gears, please let me know.

Thanks for the help guys.

Jay, I don't know what to tell you. I didn't have any clue how to calibrate it and nobody else is answering, so I went looking. I checked a factory 1979 service manual, Chiltons, Google search, Jeep Bibles, and called a couple of buddies who run them. I couldn't find a real answer. On the IFSJA board there is a new post about this, the best answer he has gotten is to find a Jeep with Q-trac that came factory with the ratio you now have and rob it's speedo adapter. Nobody I know who runs it has recalibrated theirs. Sorry.

The only reason the Q-trac is unpopular is because people don't take care of them which usually leads to premature failure. The main thing with that case is to make sure the chain doesn't get too loose. Take the plug out and check the chain tension. Make sure you have the proper additive in it. You may want to look into a part time conversion. There are a couple that offer the conversion with an 18% under or over drive built in that can save you an axle regear.

Junkpile said:
the best answer he has gotten is to find a Jeep with Q-trac that came factory with the ratio you now have and rob it's speedo adapter.
Great if you're running stock height tires.

Find a buddy with a GPS and use the speedo on there to determine your speed. Then drive accordingly.

4WD light

Thanks for the tips guys. I actually do have the part-time kit, thanks to a previous owner. With some recent work I did I discovered that it is the OD unit, contrary to what the guy told me. I haven't decided if that's good or bad. I have read alot of good things about the qtrac when the right fluid is used. There are alot of believers out there on the internet. For now since I don't drive it much, its probably best to not have the full time since it would bind up from sitting for so long.

Back