Pain in the As$ D44

jeepin916

ok so i finally got my D44's off my truck and i got them on my bench to work on them, i got all the steering linkages off took off all the brake components, and shocks and everything.
i try to take off the rotor and it wont come off, im looking around to see whats holding it and there some funny looking ring in the hub area with 4 notches on it. im prying smashing and cursing but it still wont come out and finally i gave up.
went out had some fun came back and checked on line on it, turns out that the damm thing is a nut of some sort and it takes a special socket to take them out, now that i got everything off and ready to gear it up im held up again, just my luck now i gotta go find a socket that will fit it, if anyone knows where to get one or an easier way to get it out [lease let me know, thanks

H-Wing. not jeep but funny

Catch an edge with a coal cheisl and hammer to turn the nut off. Spen a few bucks for a new nut for the replacement or just beat it back on. Not an uncommon methoid for this odd nut removal. tug

tug's right... anything that spins can be removed this way... as long as you can catch a snag on it. i'm not quite sure exactly what kinda nut your'e talkin about... vice grips? nut splitter? twist socket?

questions about motorcraft swap

hmmmm it sounds like an idea but i dotn want to really bang inside the hub housing its about 5 inchec into the housing and theres bearings in there that i have to reuse but i found some one thats got the socket so maybe ill borrow it from them, i tried every store around here for that socket but it was a no go, also i read somewhere that i can make a tool for it with a piece of 2inch pipe maybe ill try that.... well ill see what happens,thanks guys

go to the parts desk and ask them for a hub solcket. all it is is an oversized socket with 4 catch points on it. but when i took mine off i used a cold chisel..just be careful not to hurt the thread on the spindle.

Autozone has the sockets, so just about any parts store should. It's worth getting one to keep in your Jeep for the trail.

i checked auto zone and no one knew what i was talking about it was a waste of time asking haha but i got a socket from a friend and now i got everything else off and im down to the axles.. im guessing that that piece that holds on the backing plate with the 6 studs needs to be pulled out but dont know how to get it out, i was thinking about using a hub bearing puller but it doesnt look like it will fit on there, any ideas guys? oh and also should i reuse the side gears till i get a lunch box locker? or should i just hold off till i get the locker? im in no rush but i would like to get the axle together ASAP so i can start on the rear hehehe cant wait till i can roll around on my new 4.88's hehehehe thanks everyone

they are freakin tools at auto zone. granted it is convienent and cheap (sometimes), but i don't think the ability to work on/ understand anything about cars is a requirement. i don't think reading or the ability to understand what people are saying while being spoken to are a requirement either.

hahahahahaha there dumb but its funny when you can show them that there wrong in front of a bunch of customers hahaha

I worked at Advance Auto parts when I was a teenager. Man, there was some people there that couldn't even change a set of wipers. There was one guy there that wasn't allowed to change batteries because it took him an hour. You could tell that the customers expected you to be stupid. I started working there because I needed gas money and I thought it would be cool to sell auto parts, by the time I quit I HATED working the counter. Any customer who knew how to change his own oil suddenly became an automotive expert and after hearing all the stories of how stupid WE were they would argue and scream at the top of their lungs if we even suggested they were wrong about something. At the same time, I had a booger-eatin moron that took an hour to change a battery working right next to me......so I couldn't really argue too much. :roll:

hahahahaha wow thats a pretty bad experience but at least you know how it feels to be on both sides, but some of them are really morons, i was in there once and they were so slow that i asked for a water pump for an air cooled bugie and they actually looked for it, took them a while and after going thru the computer and half of there parts manuals they finally figured that the air cooled bug didnt have water pumps hahahaha.....

Back