what is your favorite colorado wheeling spot?

I have always enjoyed the trails near Taylor Resivour. Tin Cup, Pearl Pass, Taylor Pass are all up in that area. I have yet to do the extreme trails, but I am sure they will become a favorite.

Bacon

I am kinda new to the whole jeep thing and haven't been able to find a decent place near colorado springs. I want to be able to go mudding and fourwheeling without having to drive to California to do it. Is there anything within an hour or so of CS?

South West Colorado. Areas around Telluride Ouray and Silverton. Black Bear pass. Imogene Pass, Cinnamon Pass, Enginer Pass. Beautiful scenary. Need to do Poughkipse SP?? pass soon. Never had.

Living in Grand Junction we are pretty spoiled. One hundred miles from Moab and Ouray and slightly over that to the central Colorado mountains make one just want to go Jeeping all the time.

You guys have already mentioned some of the better ones in central Colorado:
Spring Creek, Pearl Pass, Taylor Pass, Radical Hill, Red Cone, and Red Elephant Hill come to mind there.

Ouray area:
Poughkeepsie, Black Bear Pass, Imogene Pass, Governor Basin, and Yankee Boy Basin.

But we have some on the western slope that will put a thrill in your day too. Some you will not have heard of before. One was closed (Mother Nature closures) for at least 8 years and probably longer.

Calamity Mesa Loop is that one. A 20-mile class 7 or 7+ loop is hard to find.
We reopened this one a couple years ago. :D:D

Pace Lake is another class 7 trail. It's only 10-miles up and back, but some great running. Another we reopened. :D:D

If those interest you, go to On the Happy Trails for some stories of those and many others we consider "good".

Happy Trails :)

I just bought a jeep and live in the springs and when i get home for Afghanistan, i would like to meet up with some other Jeepers to go wheeling in the mountains... whos down?

I just bought a jeep and live in the springs and when i get home for Afghanistan, i would like to meet up with some other Jeepers to go wheeling in the mountains... whos down?

Not knowing when you will be home makes it hard to be specific, but...
if you will be available May 30, 31, and June 1-- come to Grand Junction.
The Grand Mesa Jeep Club will be having their annual "Rock Junction" event. We would be proud to have you along.
Another question. What Jeep did you buy and is it stock or built? (lifted, etc)
The trips I will be leading are maybe more than a stock rig might want to go on although we can work with you if you're of the right mind set and willing.

They are planning some other trips for the stock class that should be good too.
Let us know what you think.
Take special care and come home safe.

Well "THEY" say we have 3 months left here so hopefully by the end of May I should be home... and Please deff keep me in mind when yall have rides coming up in the Springs areas cause I am ready for whatever comes my way. As far as my BEAST goes, it is a 1986 CJ7 with a 4" lift sitting on 35X12.5X15 and I wanna say AMC 360, big bad ass V8... Im willing to try anything!!! I have not actually seen my jeep due to being in Afghanistan, but"Gunther" got delivered Saturday Night to my house. As soon as I can get my wife to upload some pics to photobucket, Ill make sure to post them on here so all can see the BEAST!!!

Not knowing when you will be home makes it hard to be specific, but...
if you will be available May 30, 31, and June 1-- come to Grand Junction.
The Grand Mesa Jeep Club will be having their annual "Rock Junction" event. We would be proud to have you along.
Another question. What Jeep did you buy and is it stock or built? (lifted, etc)
The trips I will be leading are maybe more than a stock rig might want to go on although we can work with you if you're of the right mind set and willing.

They are planning some other trips for the stock class that should be good too.
Let us know what you think.
Take special care and come home safe.

Back