Speedometer gear replacement on a Jeep TJ

jeepster357

First off make sure you have the correct gear. When I ordered my gear I called Quadratec, the service rep told me I needed a 32 tooth gear but their website said 31. The rep had to check with a couple folks and some charts before the correct gear was verified. FYI, the gear needed for 33" tires and 3.73 gears on a '01 wrangler is a 31 tooth gear.

Changing the speedometer gear for your Jeep TJ is quite simple and requires no special tools. Before you start make sure you have a ratchet with a 1/2 socket, a clean rag and small drain pan or any other fluid catching tub.

Attachments

• Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    633.4 KB · Views: 2,197
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    624.6 KB · Views: 2,339
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    587.2 KB · Views: 904
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    648.8 KB · Views: 831
Last edited by a moderator:

How to replace a Jeep speedometer gear

Step 1. Locate the speedo sensor on your transfer case and unplug

Step 2. Use the 1/2 socket and remove bolt and lock ring for sensor housing.

Step 3. Remove housing assembly, carefully rocking back and forth so you dont tear the o-ring.

Step 4. Pull gear from housing and replace with new gear.

Step 5. Stick finger into housing hole and use oil to lubricate o-ring.

Step 6. Install housing back into t-case, be careful not to damage o-ring.

Step 7. You will need to rotate housing counter clockwise from original posistion, housing uses a centrific ring and your new gear will be smaller then OEM.

Step 8. Plug in harness and test drive. I had to do this step 2 times since I wasnt aware of the centrific ring. If speedometer does not work you will need to adjust your gear housing. I have not found a sure fire way of getting this the first time so have patience. Once again, do this carefully. Nothing worse then running around town for 1 o-ring.

Hopefully this will help some of you guys out.

Attachments

• Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    633.4 KB · Views: 821
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    624.6 KB · Views: 774
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    587.2 KB · Views: 423
  • Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg