Motor Mount Lift for a Jeep Wrangler

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
A motor mount lift is really just a new set of engine mounts that raise the engine in your Jeep some, and there are several reasons why you’d want this:
  • To compliment a body lift – When you lift the body of your Jeep up the engine will stay at the same height causing the fan to make contact with the engine shroud (fan is mounted on the engine while the shroud is on the body). It’s easier to move or trim the shroud, but a motor mount lift will accomplish the same result.
  • Instead of a transfer case drop - may lifts will advise you to lower your transfer case to prevent drive line vibrations. Since lowering your transfer case will decrease your ground clearance this isn't an optimal solution. A motor mount lift can sometimes be used instead.
  • To help with minor driveline vibrations – a motor mount lift will angle the front of the engine up and the rear of the engine down, and can help with some driveline angle issues caused by a lift kit.
  • As part of a high clearance (belly up) skid plate – There are several skid plates available that lift your transmission up and attempt to make the bottom of your Jeep flat by replacing the factory skid plate. A motor mount lift is often required by these kits.

Lifted motor mount vs. stock motor mount

jeep-wrangler-motor-mount-lift.JPG

jeep-wrangler-motor-mount-lift-2.JPG

In my case, I had just installed a body lift, and would like to install a belly up skid plate in the future, so I decided to go with a motor mount lift. I went with a Brown Dog Motor Mount Lift – a quality kit made right here in the USA. I chose the Ultra-Flex Rubber because I wanted less vibration (they offer polyurethane mounts that are more durable, but transmit more vibration from the engine to the vehicle). I was originally sent the wrong kit, but after an email they sent me the new ones and a postage paid box to return the original ones in.

Brown Dog Motor Mounts:

01-brown-dog-jeep-motor-mount-lift.JPG

02-brown-dog-jeep-motor-mount-lift.JPG

03-brown-dog-jeep-motor-mount-lift.JPG

On to the install

1. Start by loosening the transmission mounts on your Jeep (my 2005 Wrangler is an automatic). This is done to allow the engine and driveline to move – if you don’t do this you may ruin your transmission mount

04-jeep-tranmission-mount-jeep-motor-mount-lift.JPG

05-loosen-jeep-tranmission-mount-jeep-motor-mount-lift.JPG
  2. You’ll want to get your jack in position – I put my jack on the lip of the transmission. You need a good spot, since this jack will be supporting roughly half of the weight of the engine. Raise the jack enough that it supports some weight, but not enough to actually raise the vehicle any.

06-position-jack-jeep-motor-mount-lift.JPG
  3. Start on the driver’s side by taking out the existing motor mount bolts. I used a few socket extensions to get down there.

07-stock-jeep-motor-mount-lift.JPG

08-remove-stock-mount-jeep-motor-mount-lift.JPG

09-stock-jeep-motor-mount-lift.JPG
  4. Remove the bolt on the bottom of the mount

10-removing-stock-jeep-motor-mount-lift.JPG
  5. Now it’s time to put the new driver’s side mount in. You’ll need to jack up the engine some until everything lines up, then bolt it together.

11-new-motor-mount-jeep-motor-mount-lift.JPG
  6. Now that you’ve installed the driver side, it’s on to the passenger side. I found this one to be much harder due to a couple of bolts in the way. As before, start by removing the bolts.

12-pass-side-jeep-motor-mount-lift.JPG

13-pass-side-jeep-motor-mount-lift.JPG

14-pass-side-bottom-jeep-motor-mount-lift.JPG
  7. When I went to install the new mount, I found that there wasn’t enough room to get the nut on, let alone a deep set socket. I believe this is because the engine moved up a bit in relation to the mount.

15-new-pass-jeep-motor-mount-lift.JPG

16-installing-pass-side-jeep-motor-mount-lift.JPG
  8. So, I removed the bolt going into the engine. Once your tighten the nut on your new mount you can replace the engine bolt.

17-using-wrench-jeep-motor-mount-lift.JPG

18-bolt-removed-jeep-motor-mount-lift.JPG
  9. Finish up the new engine mount

19-installed-jeep-motor-mount-lift.JPG

20-pass-side-jeep-motor-mount-lift.JPG
  10. After jacking up and moving the engine I found that the transmission had shifted. I good shove moved it back into position where I bolted it back up.

21-tranny-shifted-jeep-motor-mount-lift.JPG

22-bolted-tranny-mount-jeep-motor-mount-lift.JPG

That's it. Make sure to check your fan clearance before starting the engine (to make sure that everything lines up).

As you can see from the picture below, there is a subtle change in driveline angles after a motor mount lift - probably not enough to offset a serious lift, but it may be enough to keep you from having to run a transfer case drop.

Jeep-motor-mount-lift-angles.jpg

Last edited:
Great write up. Given me the confidence to tackle this myself. When you say "give it a good shove" to align transmission bolts...where did you shove?

Great write up. Given me the confidence to tackle this myself. When you say "give it a good shove" to align transmission bolts...where did you shove?

It's been a while, but I may have actually pushed on the transmission, or possibly pulled the driveshaft to the side. It didn't take much - as you can see from the photos, it was 1/8th of the way - I just pushed the transmission towards the passenger side of the Jeep, and it dropped into the holes.

Back