Four Cylinder 2.5Liter Jeep engine Specs

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
AMC first introduced the inline 4 2.5L engine back in 1984. Back then, the engine was carbureted, but at the engine matured fuel injection was introduced. This engine was used on Wrangler TJ, Cherokee XJ, and Wrangler YJ.

Last edited:

Four Cylinder 2.5Liter Jeep engine Specs - Technicals

This applies to the 1984 through 2002 AMC four cylinder.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="90%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD width="33%">Displacement</TD><TD align=middle width="33%">150 cubic
inches
</TD><TD width="34%" rowSpan=11></TD></TR><TR><TD width="33%">Cylinder numbers (front
to rear)
</TD><TD align=middle width="33%">1-2-3-4</TD></TR><TR><TD width="33%">Firing order</TD><TD align=middle width="33%">1-3-4-2</TD></TR><TR><TD width="33%">Spark Plug gap</TD><TD align=middle width="33%">0.033 to 0.038</TD></TR><TR><TD width="33%">Ignition timing</TD><TD align=middle width="33%">9 to 11 degrees</TD></TR><TR><TD width="33%">Idle speed (auto)</TD><TD align=middle width="33%">600 +/- 70 rpm</TD></TR><TR><TD width="33%">
(manual)​

</TD><TD align=middle width="33%">680 +/- 70 rpm</TD></TR><TR><TD width="33%">Engine oil</TD><TD align=middle width="33%">API SE of SF</TD></TR><TR><TD width="33%">- Oil capacity</TD><TD align=middle width="33%">4qts</TD></TR><TR><TD width="33%">Automatic Transmission
Fluid
</TD><TD align=middle width="33%">Mercon ATF</TD></TR><TR><TD width="33%">- ATF Capacity</TD><TD align=middle width="33%">4qts</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited:
That says engione oil capacity 4 quarts. must not be including the filter. mine take five quarts to reach the full line on the dip stick.

Clark - what year is your Jeep? Is it after 2002?

AMC first used the motor in the Eagle SX4 and Spirit (optional) in '83

That says engione oil capacity 4 quarts. must not be including the filter. mine take five quarts to reach the full line on the dip stick.

I have actually wondered about that dip stick ever since I got the Jeep. You are absolutely sure it is four quarts? Maybe that it is why it drips oil all the time... hmmmm.

Back