Six Cylinder 4.0 Liter Jeep engine Specs

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
AMC first introduced the inline 4 2.5L engine back in 1980s on the Cherokee model, and Jeep begain using it on the Wrangler YJ in 1991. The 4.0L engine was a vast improvement over the AMC 4.2L engine. This engine is currently used in the Wrangler TJ model

Last edited:

Six Cylinder 4.0 Liter Jeep engine Specs- Technical specs

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD width="33%">Displacement</TD><TD align=middle width="33%">243 cubic
inches
</TD><TD width="34%" rowSpan=11>
fireingordersix-1.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD width="33%">Cylinder numbers (front
to rear)
</TD><TD align=middle width="33%">1-2-3-4-5-6</TD></TR><TR><TD width="33%">Firing order</TD><TD align=middle width="33%">1-5-3-6-2-4</TD></TR><TR><TD width="33%">Spark Plug gap</TD><TD align=middle width="33%">0.033 to
</TD></TR><TR><TD width="33%">Ignition timing</TD><TD align=middle width="33%">9 to 11
degrees
</TD></TR><TR><TD width="33%">Idle speed (auto)</TD><TD align=middle width="33%">600 +/-
70 rpm
</TD></TR><TR><TD width="33%">
(manual)​

</TD><TD align=middle width="33%">680 +/-
70 rpm
</TD></TR><TR><TD width="33%">Engine oil</TD><TD align=middle width="33%">API SE of
SF
</TD></TR><TR><TD width="33%">- Oil capacity</TD><TD align=middle width="33%">6qts</TD></TR><TR><TD width="33%">Automatic
Transmission Fluid
</TD><TD align=middle width="33%">Mercon
ATF
</TD></TR><TR><TD width="33%">- ATF Capacity</TD><TD align=middle width="33%">4qts</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Terry, Thank you very much. You have not idea how much you have helped me. I thought, my transmission was the problem after changing my sparks plugs, My Jeep was bought from someone and I think they changed the direction of the distributor cap. After looking at your picture, I finally got it with the position of the screws. Thank you again. Keep doing the great job you are doing.

Back