How to change the oil in a Jeep Wrangler TJ

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
Below are the steps that I took to change the oil in my 2005 Jeep Wrangler. Changing the oil is a pretty straight forward process, and should be done every 3000 miles. I don't want to get into a debate about synthetic versus conventional oil, just to say that I personally like Mobil 1 oil and filters.

To change the oil, you'll need the following items
  1. New oil
  2. New filter
  3. Oil change pan (or some other container to catch the oil)
  4. An oil filter wrench
  5. A socket or wrench to loosen the oil drain plug ( 5/8 inch if memory serves)
There are several other things that help, but aren't necessary
  1. Rubber gloves (makes cleanup a breeze)
  2. A metal tray / piece of cardboard, or some other large ground covering to catch any oil that spills
  3. Ramp stands if (heaven forbid) your Jeep is too low for you to climb underneath
  4. A funnel (to help pour the oil into your engine)

wrangler_oil_change 130.JPG

Last edited:

How to change the oil in a Jeep Wrangler TJ - Step 1

Here is some information from my owners manual about oil viscosity and amount.

I have a 4.0L Wrangler, so I purchased 6 quarts of 10W30 oil. The 2.4L engine needs only 5 quarts of 5W30 oil.

wrangler_oil_change_specifications.JPGwrangler_oil_change_capacities.JPG

Last edited:
How to change the oil in a Jeep Wrangler TJ - Step 2

Next, you must arrange your pan. You can see from this photo, that I've got a large catch all metal pan under my oil drain pan. The plastic oil drain pan has a mesh on the top, that prevents things (like the oil drain plug) from falling in.

wrangler_oil_change 133.JPG

Last edited:
How to change the oil in a Jeep Wrangler TJ - Step 3

Attempt to position the pan under where the oil will come out

Attachments

• wrangler_oil_change 136.JPG
    wrangler_oil_change 136.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 2,644

How to change the oil in a Jeep Wrangler TJ - Step 4

Now open the plug. You'll see that the oil comes out with a small amount of force, usually ending up somewhere other than your oil catch pan.

Attachments

• wrangler_oil_change 137.JPG
    wrangler_oil_change 137.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 2,737
  • wrangler_oil_change 138.JPG
    wrangler_oil_change 138.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 2,526
How to change the oil in a Jeep Wrangler TJ - Step 5

Now, you'll want to remove the oil cap (this may increase the flow out the oil plug, which is why we waited until now). Also, remove the oil filter. Hopefully, you can just use your hand to remove it - if not, use your oil filter wrench.

Attachments

• wrangler_oil_change 143.JPG
    wrangler_oil_change 143.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 26,754
How to change the oil in a Jeep Wrangler TJ - Step 6

Now, you've gotten the old oil out of the system, and are ready to replace it with new.

take your new oil filter, open one of the new bottles of oil, and rub some oil onto the rubber gasket of the new oil filter. This will help the filter to seat properly.

Attachments

• wrangler_oil_change 147.JPG
    wrangler_oil_change 147.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 1,616

How to change the oil in a Jeep Wrangler TJ - Step 7

Replace the oil drain plug

How to change the oil in a Jeep Wrangler TJ - Step 8

Now, you are ready to pour the new oil into your Jeep.

Just use a funnel, and pour in your oil, leaving it about 0.3 quarts low. You'll want to replace the oil cap, start the Jeep, and let it idle for a minute or so. Turn it off, and check the oil level - it will probably be low. Pour some more oil in, and repeat. We are going for 5 quarts for the 2.5L, and 6 quarts for the 4.0L, but we don't want to overfill the crankcase either.

Attachments

• wrangler_oil_change 149.JPG
    wrangler_oil_change 149.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 8,722
How to change the oil in a Jeep Wrangler TJ - Step 8

You are done! I like to put an oil change sticker on my Jeep - they are free at the local auto parts store.

Attachments

• wrangler_oil_change 155.JPG
    wrangler_oil_change 155.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 3,948

Took me 10 min from start to finish. Now can you do the same for the transmission fluid and filter.

Back