Install a cold air intake on a Jeep Wrangler TJ

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
There are a few things that you can do to a Wrangler (or any vehicle for that matter) that will improve power and fuel economy, and installing a cold air intake is one of them. The idea is to allow the engine to draw in large amounts of cool fresh air easily, aiding in the combustion process.

In order to give this a try, I decided to install a cold air intake in my 2005 Jeep Wrangler. I went with the AeF air intake (you can read my thoughts on this particular intake here).

18-install-jeep-intake-filter.jpg

Last edited:

Step 1 – Remove the factory air intake.

As you can see from the shots below, the factory intake has a small horn that allow air into the air cleaner. While this isn’t great for drawing air in, it does an excellent job of keeping water out.

01-jeep-wrangler-stock-air-intake.jpg

02-jeep-wrangler-stock-air-intake.jpg

03-jeep-wrangler-stock-air-intake.jpg

So, we need to begin by removing the factory setup. First unplug the hose going to the air box

05-remove-air-box-hose .jpg

Then carefully unplug the air sensor

06-unplug-air-sensor-intake.jpg

Loosen the hose clamp that holds the intake onto the engine

07-loosen-hose-clamp-on-air-intake.jpg

Remove the bolts that hold the air box to the body of the Jeep

08-remove-air-box-bolts.jpg

09-wrangler-air-box-removed.jpg

Now, remove the crossmember by unbolting both the front and back.

10-remove-engine-crossmember.jpg

The final part of removing the factory setup is to remove the top radiator bolt

11-remove-bolt-from-radiator-shroud.jpg

Step 2 - Install the new cold air intake

Now that the factory stuff is out of the way, we just need to install the new cold air intake
Start by bolting the new cold air intake base into place

12-bolt-afe-base-in-place.jpg

Install the grommet into place and fish the cross member back through

13-install-intak-grommet.jpg

14-install-crossmember.jpg

Now you can clamp the engine side of the intake into place.

15-install-engine-side-of-intake.jpg

Then install the air sensor into the new intake

16-reinstall-air-sensor.jpg

And connect the PCV valve into the new intake

17-install-the-pcv-hose.jpg

Now you’re ready to install the filter itself. It secures into place with large hose clamps

18-install-jeep-intake-filter.jpg

The finished product - Jeep Cold Air Intake Install

Here are some shots of the installed cold air intake. Overall it's a nice upgrade. My engine feels slightly more powerful, but that's most likely because it sounds tougher when you really get into the throttle (it sounds the same under normal driving but has a more throaty sound at full throttle.

jeep-cold-air-intake.jpg

jeep-wrangler-air-intake.jpg

wrangler-cold-air-intake.jpg

wrangler-cold-air-intake-engine-side.jpg

Last edited:

Nice write up Terry! I like your assistant in the 3rd and 4th pics..... I bet he helps with the hard to reach places. LOL!!

I'd be interested to know if you actually experienced a significant increase in mileage after this install. From everything I can find, none of these systems offers a significant increase of power until one gets into RPMs above 3500, and I've yet to find any documentation at ALL which shows ANY gas mileage increase. None of the companies I've contacted was able- or willing- to provide any documentation.

I'd be interested to know if you actually experienced a significant increase in mileage after this install. From everything I can find, none of these systems offers a significant increase of power until one gets into RPMs above 3500, and I've yet to find any documentation at ALL which shows ANY gas mileage increase. None of the companies I've contacted was able- or willing- to provide any documentation.

Cold air intakes alone will not increase HP. Sure you may see a boost up until the PCM relearns the idle and your are back to where you were with the stock set up. I monitored MPG saw a increase and saw it go away in 500 mi.

Last edited:

Re: The finished product - Jeep Cold Air Intake Install

Question for you Terry. Me being the ignorant mechanic I am, you had mentioned the stock setup does a great job of keeping water out. What issues have you ran into with the upgrade? You have any quick fixes for the water problem (if any)? I really dig the look and have been a fan of cold air intake, but I like to play in the mud/bigger puddles.

Question for you Terry. Me being the ignorant mechanic I am, you had mentioned the stock setup does a great job of keeping water out. What issues have you ran into with the upgrade? You have any quick fixes for the water problem (if any)? I really dig the look and have been a fan of cold air intake, but I like to play in the mud/bigger puddles.

pizaba,
I haven't had this into any deep water (I'm not a fan of water crossings), so I can't say that I've had any problems. The stock box does seem to give you a few extra inches over this one, but for most people (myself included) it's not a big deal.

In 2003, I was stationed at Fort Carson, there in Colorado Springs. I made friends with some hardcore off-roaders from a local 4WD shop. The cold-air intake systems weren't widely commercially available, and in the higher altitudes, the stock intake wasn't cutting it. The guys showed me how to remedy this: 1. On the 3 inch tube, that runs across the top of the engine (approximately above the left edge of the head cover). 2. Go to your local autoparts store and buy a "cone" filter (whatever brand you like). 3. Clamp it on to the air intake tube with a normal hose clamp.
Yes... it's not "cold air". In the higher elevation, the idea was to get more oxygen. Also, if I remember my research, the "cold air" increases horsepower, but where our piece is is warmer air. I had read that the warmer air, like this, would increase the fuel burn. I liked the sucking sound of that thing pulling in the air!

Recently, I added a throttle body spacer. This did kick up the horsepower (I could feel it)... I read the comment about the computer self adjusting... interesting. I could see this happening. Anyhow, we just took a 2000 mile road trip. My next modification, with this process, will need to be the exhaust. I've got good flow "in"... now we need to get a good flow "out"! Good stuff, Guys! This is my first post on here... glad to meet y'all.

BTW... it's a 2000 Wranger, 4.0 Sport.

Here are some shots of the installed cold air intake. Overall it's a nice upgrade. My engine feels slightly more powerful, but that's most likely because it sounds tougher when you really get into the throttle (it sounds the same under normal driving but has a more throaty sound at full throttle.

View attachment 5734

View attachment 5735

View attachment 5736

View attachment 5737
This modification is safe when the rainy season
thangkiu

This modification is safe when the rainy season
thangkiu

Are you asking if it's safe?

The aFe intake does a pretty good job of blocking water from underneath, but I'd bet that the stock air intake on a TJ would do a better job. My opinion is that if you're going through alot of water you should either stick with the stock intake, or upgrade to a snorkel.

Back