New To The Jeep Thing

Jeepstud31b

Hello, as you can probably guess I am a newbie to the Jeep thing. I have had my 05 Jeep TJ X V6 5 Spd, for a little over a year now and I have just started doing a little off-roading. Mostly sand roads, a little bit of dirt trails but nothing too dificult or serious. I currently live in the Upstate NY area near Canada. My Jeep is all stock, (I'm kinda scared to do mods on my own with out screwing something up, not too mechanically inclined.) And I have heard about Jeep Jamboree and such. I am really interested about off roading, but I dont wan't to get REALLY CRAZY. Any ideas of any clubs that would be for me and my Jeep? Also, what easy modifications could I do to my Jeep that won't really cost an arm and a leg. I just installed Mopar Fog Lights by myself (YIPPEE) and I have tow hooks on the front and rear. Any suggestions or anyone wanna teach a newbie would be really cool. Thanks :D

welcome to jeepz, or the "Z" as some around here call it.

anyway, on to you question about modifications. lift and tires, they are typically the first thing most people do. if you dont want to spend an arm and a leg but still want bigger tires, one of the best combinations that a lot of people run would be to do a 2" coil spacer lift and a 1 inch body lift. couple that with some 33" tires and your on the right path to run many trails.

as far as clubs go, jsut keep an eye out and look for stickers on other jeeps, or get on google and search for some around your area, most clubs are very accepting, in my experience, and always willing to have new members. being a club member has its benefeits too. i know my club gets discounts from places, we do annual trail runs to places like tellico and paragon, and we hold local events (public and private) such as barbeques and car washes.

good luck with your jeep and i hope you find it as great a passion as most people here do.

-sam

RE: clicking/popping front end

Welcome!

Tow hooks were a good choice and a step in the right direction. Sure beats chrome grille inserts :lol:

DO a search for Jeep clubs, I'd be willing to bet there's more than one in your area. Look for one that does "stocker runs" where you can do some light trails in a stock Jeep. You'll come to know what you want and meet those who have done it. Hopefully meet folks who can help you do the work, too ;)

What area are you in? Lots of folks here belong to clubs, maybe one of us is near you.

Welcome to the "Z"!! First off, don't let the fact that your Jeep is pretty much stock give you the wrong impression. These are very, very capable vehicles straight out of the box!! You'll be amazed at what it can do, once you get more comfortable with it! If I were you, the first thing I would do would be to ditch those sucky stock tires. You can fit 31's with no mods whatsoever. You'll be amazed at the difference a good set of meats makes. Also might look into a "hi-lift" jack (the poor man's winch), a tree-saver strap, and a tow strap. Very, very handy tools for extricating and various other duties (depends on your imagination!!). Fairly inexpensive, too. Good luck and happy trails!!

Jeepstud31b said:
Hello, as you can probably guess I am a newbie to the Jeep thing. I have had my 05 Jeep TJ X V6 5 Spd, for a little over a year now and I have just started doing a little off-roading. Mostly sand roads, a little bit of dirt trails but nothing too dificult or serious. I currently live in the Upstate NY area near Canada. My Jeep is all stock, (I'm kinda scared to do mods on my own with out screwing something up, not too mechanically inclined.) And I have heard about Jeep Jamboree and such. I am really interested about off roading, but I dont wan't to get REALLY CRAZY. Any ideas of any clubs that would be for me and my Jeep? Also, what easy modifications could I do to my Jeep that won't really cost an arm and a leg. I just installed Mopar Fog Lights by myself (YIPPEE) and I have tow hooks on the front and rear. Any suggestions or anyone wanna teach a newbie would be really cool. Thanks :D

welcome, btw don't wanna sound like i'm talking smack but it's a I6- just letting you know cause people might laugh at ya if you start calling it a V6

mud4feet said:
Welcome to the "Z"!! First off, don't let the fact that your Jeep is pretty much stock give you the wrong impression. These are very, very capable vehicles straight out of the box!! You'll be amazed at what it can do, once you get more comfortable with it! If I were you, the first thing I would do would be to ditch those sucky stock tires. You can fit 31's with no mods whatsoever. You'll be amazed at the difference a good set of meats makes. Also might look into a "hi-lift" jack (the poor man's winch), a tree-saver strap, and a tow strap. Very, very handy tools for extricating and various other duties (depends on your imagination!!). Fairly inexpensive, too. Good luck and happy trails!!

i agree. i was really, really suprised at what my stock xj could do, and after i got my 31's, i found myself going through all the places where i wouldnt even come close to making with my stock tires. just take your time and get what you want the -first- time, don't do like me and buy some shackles and then kick yourself in the teeth.

If you really want to get into Jeeps, you should know that it is addicting. Don't be afraid to do mods yourself. Jeeps are very easy to work on and just about everybody makes parts and accessories for the Jeep. You might to start getting some of the free catalogs and start dreaming up what you might want to do. Here are a few links. Happy trails!!

www.quadratec.com
www.4wd.com
www.jcwhitney.com
www.summitracing.com

Jeepstud31b said:

I am also a newbie. I got mine this past February. 2006 Wrangler Unlimited Golden Eagle Package. I am too afraid to go off-roading. Not sure if my warranty will cover any damage. It's such a sweet ride, I don't want to hurt it. But at the same time, all I want to do is get it dirty and climb a big rock. Ugh! What a dilema. Anyway, I am also looking for advice for beginners, mainly about the maintenance. You know, cleaning and stowing the windows, how to keep your back window from getting scratched when you roll it up, what's the best way to store the hard top, that kind of stuff. I feel a little silly, but I want to take care of my baby!!

Welcome Jeepstud31b and GoldenEagle06!
Sounds like you guys have some nice, new pretty toys! Congrats! No need to feel silly asking questions here, most people are very accomodating and there is more collective knowlege here than in any other forum I belong to.

Golden Eagle.....

search 4 wheel Drive hardware's site, look for the window roll (made by clover-something-or-other) it's a felt "book" that you put the windows in..... it's great.... lets you take the windows with your when you're out, so if it rains, you don't have to drive around with a wet butt..... I don't "roll" the back window and put it in the elastic things..... I understand you don't want to mess up the new ride..... but trust me..... there is a fine line from your new "baby" and getting ready to take out the Sawz-All to make room for some new rubber! If you want to get a few ya-ya's out wheeling, find a very manageable trail, and wheel it during a blizzard..... conditions like that make the easier trails more difficult, without really increasing your chances of damaging your jeep (like going off-camber, breaking an axel, etc )

good luck.

If you're worried about tearing up your brand new Jeep if you take it off road, just do what I did. Wreck it 10 days after you pick it up! That'll take the edge off :).

If you're worried about tearing up your brand new Jeep if you take it off road, just do what I did. Wreck it 10 days after you pick it up! That'll take the edge off :).

Ouch!! Yeah, I'll bet that did the trick!:shock:

Weclome new dudes! Weclome? Sorry, Welcome!! As somebody mentioned earlier, check out those 4x4 catalog sites and order the free catalogs. Some of them even give instructions on how to install different parts and pieces online through a PDF file before you buy it, so you have an idea as to whether it's something you'll be able to do yourself or need help with. Pretty cool.

Like Mud said, these vehicles we throw all our money at are the most capable rigs ever made right out of the box, but probably the best first mod you can make is to get rid of the stock tires and get some real meat on those rims. Depending on what you want to do, get some all terrains or mudders. Personally, I prefer mudders for everything I've been up against. They don't have the road manners of all-terrains, but I've been nearly stuck more than once with the all-terrains in places where I've 2-wheeled with mudders. It all boils down to personal preference, though. Wheel your Jeep a few times in different conditions with the tires you have, then make the decision as to what will suit you better.

Most importantly, enjoy that money pit!! Remember that the law says you must wave to all other Jeeps on the road or the Jeep gods will frown upon you!

Have fun and stick around, you've found the best site on the net for talking Jeeps!!;)

Tarticulation-1.jpg

There is nothing that can assist your Jeepucation like joining a club. These are people that share your same interests and heve the experience you lack. They can offer tools, assistance, ideas and muscle. You will learn how to modify, get connections for parts and supplies and your knowledge of building will get better and better. They also know and love to share the back country experience. Remember that with trail runs, if you start it, you finish it. You can get assistance with the obstacle or the climb. You'll learn all the ltlle tricks on driving a Jeep. Everyone will get off the trail and home.

Forums help, too. A free exchange of ideas. What you think may work may not. People will help you at most forums.

It can be exciting designing your modifications. It is a process that can reap many benefits. It can also frustrate you.

With the Mighty YJ, I did a 3.5" BDS lift. 33" tires. Winch. FIPK ram air filter. custom exhaust both pre and post catalytic converter. Soft top came later. Poison Spider cage later still (amazing how one near flop can inspire you).

The FIPK precludes a body lift as you would have to be inventive with a throttle body spacer.

The final product is never done. Lights? Cage? Locker? The list goes on and on... The Mighty YJ is also known as The Money Pit. But it is worth it when you hit a trail - And you conquer it!

[QUOTE Most importantly, enjoy that money pit!! Remember that the law says you must wave to all other Jeeps on the road or the Jeep gods will frown upon you!
QUOTE]

:agree:Welcome Newbies, I'm still new to the whole jeep thing too. I bought my first jeep at the end of 2002.The first thing I did was take It were I had wheeled my full size and was NOT disappointed! :grin: Then the very next year I took It to my first Jeep Jamboree and was worrying about damage to my baby, when I got home the only damage was to my rims so, It sucked :shock: but I dealt with It. Then I put on a lift and bigger tires and went to the next years jamboree. I slid into a tree and a cut off branch poked a hole in my hard top, It was as if my heart had been broken,:shock: :cry: but man what a blast, :grin: so now I just accept the fact that damage is going to happen sometimes If your going to wheel your baby and have the time of your life! Man I love Jeepin!:love: :) :) :)

Just take it easy and slow. Have a good time , as long as you keep most of the wheels on the ground Jeeps can take alot . I've only got mine totally stuck a few times but thats the fun part. Well its fun when theres people around to help get you out of a sticky spot, so don't forget the buddy system when offroading very much.

Back