Wheelin in Eastern N.C.

beachjeep

I live in Wilmington, NC and was wondering if anyone has ever gone to the Croatan National Forest. Its in Havelock,NC.

Anyway, if its a fun place it might be a good place to get an event going for some local Jeepers.

Here is a site with some information but not much.

http://cnc.4x4.org/trails/croatan_tr.htm

I actually got into Trail riding about an hour north of you. in Jacksonville. If you have any Marine buddies there used to be MANY tank trails that you could go to. All you need is the Jar-Head buddy to sign you in at the gate.

***WARNING***
When you see the little sign on the trail that says:

***Caution***
Live fire Excersise Area!

Don't go in there, you are asking for an Arty round to come in through your soft top.

Move west in the search young men. Western NC and Eastern TN. Jason can tell you about a few of the trails here. tug

Beachjeep-- I feel your pain man, I live in Wilmington too. We used to be able run the dunes off of river road.....til the cops started cracking down. We used to be able to wheel on the beach but that has become a joke. I used to love midnight drag racing on the north end of Carolina Beach. All of the good mudding spots are private property, and once an unwatched site is found where you can go have fun......100 other people find it and it ends up being closed off. I think right before they re-closed(haha) the pits off of river road a few years ago there was people trailering hybrid mud racers in, I didn't see it but I heard there was a big block chevy powered samurai out there on 44" Boggers. You know fourwheeling sucks around here when the big dogs come out to play in 2' deep mud. About the only legal wheeling left is putting around the flat part of the beach or mud racing in one of the local events. They have mud races in Winnebow and Jacksonville. There are some good trails around Holly Ridge, but again private property. There are plenty of places to get your Jeep dirty, but no GOOD wheeling spots.
Right now, you can go play behind Northchase Industrial park where they are building the new overpass. It's pretty fun after a rain and there is a few good hills out there when it's wet.

If you plan an out of town run this summer, let me know. I wouldn't even try taking the Jeep I have now on a trail run, but I'm planning on putting it up for sale soon and starting on another one setup more for trail riding.

I've heard Croatan is kind of a disappointment, but I've never been and I'd like to just go see for myself since it is so close.

Back