New Jersey Trails?

Thats What I MEan

Hey Folks,

I've done the Southern Jersey stuff (Barrens), but is there anything closer to home (Central/Nothern Jersey)?

I usually have to take the long drive down South, and would love to find a nice trail around here. I've found a few in the Watchung State Park. Nothing amazing. I believe they are horse trails, which can be fun after a nice rain, I suppose.

Any tips from the other fellow NJ locals?

-Rob

I'm in Central Jersey right near Asbury Park. I havn't found any places locally but I have heard of Barstow- a state park that has no fee, no rules, and big enough to get lost in. Everything else around here is fenced off or you get a big fine if you get caught. If you know somebody in Jackson that has access to some "backyard trails" that would be your best bet. I know a guy that lives there and right behind his house is acres and acres of land that some company is mining, great for horsin' around in. I'll be goin to Barstow mid Nov. hopefully... right after my lift is done!

A little driveline vibe ?

can you find a link? Look at NJ state park listing. Nothing found ...

I can officially say that there is nothing on state land that is legal to ride on NJ. I attended a large organizational event about 8 months ago to participate in the start up of a NJ motorized acces group... JORVA (Jersy Off Road Vehicle Assoc.) This group has been working diligently to get something open and even working on the possibility of an OHV park but the state is steadfast against any motorized use on ANY public lands. If you (anyone in general, not you individual Rob S) are wheeling where it is prohibited, you are doing us all a dis-service (even if you aren't "caught") because you are leaving evidence of a tresspass and that only gives the state, environmentalists, local gov'ts, etc... ammunition to keep us off our own public lands that we are paying taxes for. I would suggest checking out the JORVA site at www.JORVA.org to see what is happening now, the fines the state is looking levey against tresspassers, how you can become involved in helping to open up trails on state land and what clubs you can join to enjoy 4 wheeling legally throughout New England.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Robert_Strausberg said:
Wow. Thank you for the info, David.

I'll have to find some friends with large plots of land around here, I guess! :)

-Rob

The easiest thing to do, if ya don't have land barons as friends :wink: , is join a club. Here on the east coast there are several large national associations, with many clubs within those organizations. EC4WDA is one of them. You can check out their site at www.EC4WDA.org. Most clubs have a yearly dues structure of about $40. Thats not too bad considering the fact that many offer about 6-10 trail rides a year. If you attend all 10, a whopping $4 per ride... compare to a Jeep Jamboree at about $500 for the weekend. Plus each club will have its own list of bennies they offer, like newsletters, membership into other organizations, club socials, plus the ability to work to keep land/trails open and maybe even open up some that were closed. :D

Talk soon,

Hi all I know this started out as a way of trying to find trails in Central & Northern NJ but I have to say Toxic Turtle when you mention all NJ state land as being off limits to motorized vehicals are you sure that is not only to anything uninsured such as 4 wheelers and dirt bikes???? I respect all the knowledge you have reguarding this issue, and I am in no way saying I am right, but Ilive in deep south jersey all my life and there is plenty of state land that I trail ride on that i found as a kid growing up hunting. In fact the state has even fixed up some of the old dirt roads to make the trails more accseible to get to. I do know that they are all off limits to all terrain vehicals ( 4wheelers - dirt bikes) but I dont think they are to insured vehicals like Jeeps.....although I could be wrong....just want to make sure before I end up with a fist full of tickets

Most through roads on State lands in New Jersey are open to vehicles that are registered and insured. We're talking about the roads here......not actually what I'd call any type of hard core trails. Usually there are signs marking roads not open to vehicles. 8)

firemanharry said:
Most through roads on State lands in New Jersey are open to vehicles that are registered and insured. We're talking about the roads here......not actually what I'd call any type of hard core trails. Usually there are signs marking roads not open to vehicles. 8)

Hey... that's what I was going to say... :wink: Its the same here in CT... There are several state forests with old dirt roads... but as soon as the roads start to need any real maintenance, they gate them as they are having a hard time paying to maintain a road that gets washed out for example. (which of course is just WE are looking for... :roll: ) and you're right.... its even worse if you have a quad or bike and want to ride...
I haven't heard any new news from John Parrinello, I think he got volunteered into being their pres... I'll check with him and get back to see if there are any new developments.

talk soon....

Back