I have a comment for once

jps4jeep

Super Moderator
Terry, I have never second guessed this site once, the way you run it, the moderators you choose etc.. but, I have a comments and maybe a suggestion, that I think has come up before but...

I just got Burnt for the second time in the buy/trade forum. at least this time it was something I was selling, Some one expressed interest in something I had, we agreed on a price, I had to pay to have it packaged at the buyers request, that was going to be re-embursed in the shipping cost, then when I asked for the money to be sent, I never heard from the guy again.

The first time I got burnt (back in 2002) was I sent money to some one for a bumper and shipping ($76) and they cashed the money order and I never got the bumper and never heard from the person again too!

I know of the inherant risks of dealing with the internet and people I have never met, but I think we should add a safe guards

Such as: I am part of a on-line motorcycle forum that I am almost as active in and the safe guard that they have in place is that you need at least 100 posts in order to access those forum threads. I think 100 is a bit excessive, but perhaps we require people to have at least 50 posts prior to accessing those threads. It will also cut down on the number of people that join, list something and never return.

I am almost certain that you might respond with something along the lines of "that is a good idea but... you should make it a personal policy that people have at least.... you might want to be more careful.....

But the problem is I am a good natured perosn and if I see a chance to help someone out, whether it is change their flat tire, or basically sell them something way below the value, I try to give them a chance.

Terry please take into consideration my request and thank you for letting me rant! :D

I agree with that but at the same time, I read all the forums but I don't have thst much info to offer so I don't have that many posts. Some people join the site to learn, well most of us do atleast and I am learning and to limit things but the number of posts you have really doesn't seem fair. That sucks that you got burned and it sucks when people come on this site just to sell stuff but I don't think that this is the right way to go about it.

I have seen many people come onto this site just to bash someone on one topic then leave also i have seen people come into this site buy something from someone and stiff them, I myself i have made about 4-5 sales on here and all of them have gone excellent...I also stray away from people with now post or few post hope everything turns out ok jps

I have found that if you ship (or receive) C.O.D. it works out better for everyone. Yes it is more expensive, but, they don't get YOUR stuff till they pay-up to the shipper. Even Trucking companys will do C.O.D. if you have larger items to ship.

jeepfan555 said:
I agree with that but at the same time, I read all the forums but I don't have thst much info to offer so I don't have that many posts. Some people join the site to learn, well most of us do atleast and I am learning and to limit things but the number of posts you have really doesn't seem fair. That sucks that you got burned and it sucks when people come on this site just to sell stuff but I don't think that this is the right way to go about it.

In response to this, exactly what would you learn from the buy/sell forums? I think in order to peddal your goods, which some people do, simple sign up, try to sell something and leave, you should have contributed to the site in some way.
I mean no aggression but, what do we learn from people who stick around for two days to sell something. I would guess not much. If you want to use the I don't post, I read a lot thing, then Most of the learning would be accomplished in the other tech/general forums.

If you would like, change it so that you can't post in those sections unless you have a determined amount of posts, but can still view them, thats fine, but I think we need some type of regulation.

By only allowing people with a post count of 50 or 25 at least, they have contributed to the site. And a post count of 25 is not all that hard I would venture to guess.

I would like to do COD, but this particular person was looking to keep the shipping cost down, and Like I said, I am always willing to help someone out.

i totally agree with you i dunno if my first post came out this way or not... bu t thats the way i feel... there should be a post limit on how many post you need to sell...like 25-35

I didn't mean to attack anyone or annoying in anyway, I just feel that 50 would be a bit high considering the fact that I think I only hit 50 like 6 months into this site. I honestly read everything and get great ideas for this site. I am only 20 and don't have that much experience to offer. I think that if you made a restriction on selling things to atleast 25-35 post wouldn't be bad.

Quadratec Customer Service

I doubt this software has the ability to restrict somebody from posting until they've met a preset threshold like you recommended.

It may have to come back the seller/purchaser, watching the post count of somebody they want to do business with and using it as a small part of determining this person's trustworthiness.

Bounty__Hunter said:
I doubt this software has the ability to restrict somebody from posting until they've met a preset threshold like you recommended.

I think Bounty is right that there is probably no way to control access to a forum based on post count -- at least not in phpbb.

My personal opinion about the for sale/wanted forums is that we could do with out them if they are a problem. Maybe you could list your for sale stuff on Ebay instead and just post the link in the for sale forum? That way other Jeepers here and elsewhere will see your item(s) for sale (so you're more likely to sell it), plus you get the protection of using the Ebay/PayPal system.

Which I suppose brings up the question of why not handle these transactions through Paypal? Paypal accounts are easy to setup and they offer protection to both the seller (you get paid first) and the buyer (who can purchase protection through Paypal).

Just a though :mrgreen:
-Nick :!:

Buyer Beware! Anytime you take a chance on doing business on the internet you take a chance indeed. I personaly have over 2000 positive feed backs on eBay yet I will not sale or buy here among jeep pals for fear of maken jeep enemys. Not that it is a bad thing just something that I will not do unless I have no other choice. Maken my living in the secondary market dealing in Antiques and Collectibles by means of one on one sales, public auction, online auction and other means I know how ez it is to win and loose in this type of foremat. I have marketed items in the price range of a few dollars and In the few thousand dollars ranges. As for here on the wanted to buy and sale pages of Jeepz I hate to think one of us would go as far as lying or stealing from each other but I have seen it happen. So again I just do not do this here. Buyer Beware! tug

I have a different take on this subject.

I'm going to use eBay as a comparison. you can list or bid on an item the day you sign up, but a zero feedback rating is going to scare off potential bidders and sellers at times block zero feedback bidders - I do unless they make an instant payment by paypal.

Point is, if a newbie posts an item to sell, I probably wouldn't trade with them unless he/she had a referral from a Jeepz member I trusted (which would be most all of you). If selling an item in the forum, I would require payment in full before I shipped anything. period. If shipping costs were unknown, I would agree on a rough estimate and either make a small bit extra or eat a small loss.

I guess what I'm saying is I would only trust to buy from a very frequent or long-time Jeepzter with people on here that know them personally. I would not trust at all when it comes to me selling something. How does that go??? In God We Trust... all others pay cash!

I just got back from buying 5 brand spankin' new Goodyear MTR's for $450. Met the guy through a link White posted from the PAP site. I would never have sent this guy a dime, so we met half way and dealt in person. Heck of a nice guy, but I didn't want to find out if he wasn't after I gave him my tire money.

This doesn't mean you still can't help someone out, but ya gotta look out for #1, and not step in #2.

[edit] well I guess I skimmed over Tug's post 'cause my take was not so much different was it :?

Here's a thought...
I too have expressed concern in the past for newbies coming on and posting forsale items only to never be heard from again. I agree that having high post counts isn't maybe a rule that we should instill (although once I did). But I don't think it is out of the question to suggest that newer members (50 or less posts or some other number perhaps 30 or less) post contact info, including email and phone #. I know some are worried about posting personal info on a public site, so those people can PM a moderator then list the mod with the info.

Additionally, a sticky can be posted by a Mod (perhaps Tug) stating some basic posting rules such as the afore mentioned things contact info etc.

But, I think posting an EBAY link is the best of all worlds and all of those should be welcomed.

Tug's right about the "Caveat Emptor" statement. Buyer beware, make sure you get all the contact info and that the seller or buyer cannot stiff you. There are safeguards out there. BUT... I think Johnny's on the right track with atleast having a few guidelines. We don't have to have the software do such things, but rather moderate them as Jeepz.com members.

I'm big on buying and selling through jeep forums as opposed to Ebay, it's more 1 on 1 and a way to possibly help another jeeper out. I'm not big on auctioning to the highest bidder (sorry Tug), it just seems kind of greedy at times. Set a price and sell it, not play a game with potential buyers just to see how much money you can make.

I use PayPal about 99% of the time and have had no problems. Currently parting out a '93 XJ and shipping several items a day, all through jeep forums and word of mouth. Like was mentioned, PayPal protects the buyer and seller, for a very minimal fee.

I usually set my eBay auctions at $1 and let them ride with an occaisional exception. Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes it gets you. No game, just a good old fashioned auction, internet style.

I agree with the helping a Jeeper out, which is why I usually post here first. If it doesn't go, it's going to eBay where it will see an incredible amount of exposure.

Free YJ bump stop extensions

Hi,

Bounty__Hunter said:
I'm not big on auctioning to the highest bidder (sorry Tug), it just seems kind of greedy at times. Set a price and sell it, not play a game with potential buyers just to see how much money you can make.

Well you could use the "buy it now" listings on Ebay if you just want to set a price, but still get the benefits of selling through Ebay.

The point of this hi-jacked thread was not to discuss the ethics of business in regards to ebay but since it has come up...

I use to use ebay quite often, and got burned on there too, and ebay did nothing about it! Basically told me that it was my problem and I would have to deal with it. So I no longer purchase from ebay.

Pay pal, I have an account and have had one for years, but I the process of trying to re-finance my house, I canceled any credit card I had, payed off all the dept and now no longer rely on credit cards, and no way in hell I will give someone "electronic access" to my checking account.

And yes the program does exhist, My motorcycle forum does not allow postings to be made my low post count people in the buy/sell threads. It says on the bottom of that page, powered by invision power boards what ever that means...

I think that there will be two problems solved by a rule like this being instituted.
1. no one will simply clutter the board with sell threads, never to return again. If thats what they want to do, call the want ads!
2. encourage contributions by people that don't normally contribute. there was two month between when I signed up and when I made my first post.

new batmobile

jps4jeep said:
I think that there will be two problems solved by a rule like this being instituted.
1. no one will simply clutter the board with sell threads, never to return again. If thats what they want to do, call the want ads!
2. encourage contributions by people that don't normally contribute. there was two month between when I signed up and when I made my first post.
But would they simply clutter other parts of the board with fluff to meet the threshold required to post in the classifieds?

jps4jeep said:
It says on the bottom of that page, powered by invision power boards

Well, Invision Power Board is a completely different Forum software from this one. This forum uses the phpBB forum software. They are not the same thing and each has different features and works a little differently. Invision Power Board does have many features which phpBB does not.

So my point was not that the software doesn't exist, but that (to my knowledge) a feature for restricting posting based on post count does not exist in the phpBB software....

:mrgreen:

just a thought, not trying to start anything here, but mingez almost bought a YJ from jules. jules has 6 posts, why should he (jules) be penalized for not being a frequent member? some people may be attracted to this site for the sole purpose of buying/selling, get hooked and THEN become profitable members. just a thought, sorry you got burned man, i hate that.

XJNick said:
jps4jeep said:
It says on the bottom of that page, powered by invision power boards

Well, Invision Power Board is a completely different Forum software from this one. This forum uses the phpBB forum software. They are not the same thing and each has different features and works a little differently. Invision Power Board does have many features which phpBB does not.

So my point was not that the software doesn't exist, but that (to my knowledge) a feature for restricting posting based on post count does not exist in the phpBB software....

:mrgreen:

Thanks, but it is all greek to me.

Back