Opinion on this other software

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
We now use a software called vbulletin, which is just a forum software. I kind of miss the old site with it's polls, who's online block, link database, and other stuff. I found an addon for our forum, called vbadvanced. Take a look at some of these sites, and let me know if you guys think they are better than our current setup:

http://www.vbadvanced.com

or a more customized version
http://www.hrfbody.com

Or more over, do you guys think Jeepz.com should be just a forum, or more like the old style, a bunch of features including a forum?

Last edited:

Terry, I'll look over the links. I liked the old features you mentioned, but I like some of the new ones here just as much. I'll get back to you and hopefully some other members will to. Thanks for asking.

Lady

well, this other software is really just an extension of what we already have, so we wouldnt' loose anything.

I'm not really a designer, but more of a technical server type guy. It's easy for alot of us to get lost in the "more features" thing, and loose sight of what everyone really wants (which is probably an easy to use, nice looking site)

I liked the chat a ton, the new chat system was really nice.

I think the how to section should remain, we had a lot of good writeups, and a lot of good people willing to make writeups.

re: the pm thing, it looks like everyone defaulted to off, is there a way to make it so they're all on again; I activated mine, but had no clue that it wasn't working till I read the other thread about them...

I like the format of the message board, it's very crisp and clear, a change, yes, but easy to get used to.

I like the new "style" as long as it's better at keeping the Brazilians (and others) from doing their "thing". We'll all get used to it, I'm sure. I like the header (reminds me of the old software) and I think as long as you can keep it a "Jeepz family" site as it was, everything will be fine. I'll check the links and let you know MHO. You do a great job, Terry.

my paid opinion

So far I miss the old site...it was home and had the Jeepz feel.
I know this site will sooner or later gain that same feeling to me.
I like the idea that this software is better at protecting those little back door openings. Each time you add in those little features we once had (I.E. Jeep adds, how to section) it is starting to feel like home.
So...I say stick with it I know moving is a hassle but this is a bigger and better place.
Thanks for all of your hard work

Steven

P.S. now that I said it.. wheres my twenty bucks :p

Saurian said:
I liked the chat a ton, the new chat system was really nice.

I think the how to section should remain, we had a lot of good writeups, and a lot of good people willing to make writeups.

re: the pm thing, it looks like everyone defaulted to off, is there a way to make it so they're all on again; I activated mine, but had no clue that it wasn't working till I read the other thread about them...

I like the format of the message board, it's very crisp and clear, a change, yes, but easy to get used to.

Yeah, the "pm thing".......I tried to pm you, sean, but it said my box was full and your box was full, so it cancelled. The new "pm thing" only allows 50 stored messages (I think) - recieved and sent!?!? So, you have to move or download (my choice) all the stuff you have saved......start with a clean slate!! Anyway, heading to Fenton next weekend for the "bi-annual" pilgramage. Maybe we can hook-up (who knows with all the family-related stuff?).............I think you owe me a beer!!! LOL!!!!!

Well, Terry, I check out the links and they are very impressive, but they appear to be very "busy-looking". I like the simple look we have now, but I'm not sure how much more you can "tweak" it. As mentioned before, a "front-page" link to the chat would be nice.......and perhaps a little expansion of the pm storage?...........just a few, random, quick, IMHO thoughts...........

still browsing and an old dog that CAN learn new tricks,
mud

Honestly, I like this software and site. On the old Jeepz, I don't think I ever went anywhere but the forums....seems like I could always get the info I needed right here from the Audience of Experts.

Is there any way to increase the storage space for PM's like Mud said? I just dumped over 150 PM's out of mine, so if anyone has tried to PM me, send it again.....

TerryMason said:
We now use a software called vbulletin, which is just a forum software. I kind of miss the old site with it's polls, who's online block, link database, and other stuff. I found an addon for our forum, called vbadvanced. Take a look at some of these sites, and let me know if you guys think they are better than our current setup:

http://www.vbadvanced.com

or a more customized version
http://www.hrfbody.com

Or more over, do you guys think Jeepz.com should be just a forum, or more like the old style, a bunch of features including a forum?

Although I didn't use anything more than the bulletin board area, I think that the other stuff, write ups, polls, readers rides, jeep info is important in drawing people to the site. That gets them here and the bulletin board keeps 'em. That stuff takes time and energy and if you're up to it, Terry, I say keep it. I'm sure others would help maintain and add things to the site.

I think it needs to be more than just a bulletin board.

JMHO

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I agree with South....we should have all that other stuff I never used....I guess it was the website that drew me here, but then I found the message boards and haven't left....kinda like a big ol' tick, I'm stuck here.

I went ahead and did it. I think it will work out in the long run. It is way to busy right now though. I need to turn some of that stuff off.

Terry - the most important thing is the ability to keep the back door closed and locked - we all can adjust to the new look and feel, but when you put up another poll, PLEASE PLEASE not the tire sizes again!! LBR

It's honestly going to take me a long time, if ever, to get used to this style. I don't really like it so much. But still being able to appreciate Terry's time and work, I fully accept the value of that and can appreciate the security advantages

Hey Snitty, click on the drop down in the lower left hand side of the screen and try another of the three avaliable styles. We're still working on cleaning them up a bit.

Anything in particular that you don't like? Is it a colors thing, or more of how the moard works now?

Terry -

I totally dig this new setup, like other guys have said, all I ever really use is the forums anyway, and these are way better than the old ones.

-Nate

I pretty new to jeepz but I do like the set up.I must say Terry you take great pride in making everyone happy on this site,and making it a great one at that my hat goes off to you.Good work

I love all the new modern type forums everyone is taking up these days on other websites. This one is way more modern than others. I like it an I have to ag ree with Joe Dirt, Terry you sure do a bang up job around here. Thanks!

Lady

Not even close. The new version is WAY better. The old software was the only down side (I felt) of jeepz.

Thanks Terry.

Back