96 grand cherokee cranks but won't start

chester303

I have a 96 grand cherokee that has issues. I can drive it 4 a few months with no problem and then one day I will go to start it and it won't turn over. It cranks but won't start. I could drive it all day, stop at a store on the way home, and it won't start when i get back in to go home. However, it is very spurratic. Also, there are times that while I am driving, the rpms will go to zero and I will have no power to the car. Then about 10 seconds later it will catch and everything will be fine. Other times it won't catch and the car will stall. it might start up right away or it might take 10 mins or a few hours. Can anyone tell me where to start?

It sounds like a CKP,(Crankshaft position sensor) with a bad connection or failing. Check for spark when the no start condition occurs. if there's spark then i would check the ignition circuits on the Run position.

I have a 96 grand cherokee that has issues. I can drive it 4 a few months with no problem and then one day I will go to start it and it won't turn over. It cranks but won't start. I could drive it all day, stop at a store on the way home, and it won't start when i get back in to go home. However, it is very spurratic. Also, there are times that while I am driving, the rpms will go to zero and I will have no power to the car. Then about 10 seconds later it will catch and everything will be fine. Other times it won't catch and the car will stall. it might start up right away or it might take 10 mins or a few hours. Can anyone tell me where to start?

Did you figure out what this was!? I just bought a 96 grand cherokee ltd and its having the same EXACT issue

Air fuel and spark run the engine.
As noted check CKP as it is known to fail like described and directly control spark along with cam sensor.
Next would be fuel pressure from start to 3300 rpm

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

the zj model grand cherokee are known for having issues with the mother board in the ecu. have someone push the plug into the ecu when you are turning the key and see if it starts better. after a while though, even doing that won't help. i always ended up buying a replacement ecu on ebay from someone who fixes those bad solder joints on the mother boards.

Back