Is jeepz selling my info?????

Buck hour

I just got a message from a guy in Korea. He wants me to fill out a questionnaire with some pretty detailed info. He signed the message saying that he GOT MY INFO FROM JEEPZ!!!! what gives?!?!

I got the same email twice, marked it as spam and deleted them.

Last edited:
My reply:

haha said:
Dear Buck hour,

My name is Jae Hee Park who is a Ph.D candidate at the University of Tennessee. I am currently studying about the comparison automobile online communities between U.S. and South Korea.
I got your contact information from online community.
I would like to ask you to participate in online survey. It will take about 10-15 minutes to complete this survey. This is a pre-test for the research.
Your participation is greatly appreciated.
Have a good day!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/RTBWHMY

Sincerely,

Jae Hee Park

Exactly what do you mean "you got my contact info from jeepz". What info did you obtain? If you don't reply in a timely manner I will be forced to spread the word of your questionnaire to other jeepz members. We are a tight nit community and word will spread faster than you think. Thus tainting any information you do happen to receive. You have 24 hours to reply!

It could be from a person who happened upon the site and looked at your profile. It doesn't actual say that Jeepz.com gave them your info. Pretty much everything you put on your profile is visible to everyone including your email. Guy could be legit or could be spam. But the website most likely isn't at fault.

We don't sell or give away any information at all.

I noticed a user here named haha who signed up. He posted, but never about Jeeps. His IP address traced back to different schools in Tennessee, so I figured he was legit. It appears that he posted enough to get around our filters (we limit the pms that new users can send) then began spamming.

I've banned the user, I'll look into preventing this from happening again.

Were you getting private messages or emails?

It could be from a person who happened upon the site and looked at your profile. It doesn't actual say that Jeepz.com gave them your info. Pretty much everything you put on your profile is visible to everyone including your email. Guy could be legit or could be spam. But the website most likely isn't at fault.

I think this is the root of the problem. A visitor to the site can't see anything except your location, interests, occupation and signature, however a member can see everything you've allowed them to during your signup:
Jeepz.com - View Profile: TerryMason

The answer to this is to not show email addresses to anyone. Right now you can turn this off by going here:
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions
and uncheck the "Receive Email from Other Members" box. I think that I need to just remove this option entirely, and not show email addresses to anyone.

I've disabled the "Allow Users to Email Other Members" functionality. Email address are no longer shown to other members regardless of what was set previously.

TerryMason said:
I've disabled the "Allow Users to Email Other Members" functionality. Email address are no longer shown to other members regardless of what was set previously.

Thank you very much terry! That was fast! Just another great reason why I use this form over all others!

I'm working with Survey Monkey to see if they'll take down the survey, but it doesn't look like they will.

Terry the vCard download, and receive email from other members has never been allowed on my account, nor is my email listed in my profile. So they have gotten the info from somewhere else deeper inside this site.

Last edited:
Back