Tutorial - How to post images

XJNick

Hi everyone,

There have been a lot of questions regarding posting pictures on the forum here at Jeepz.com. In addition to that, there have been some large picture files that have made some of the longer threads load slower than they should. I’m writing these brief tutorials to help in the picture posting process, and to show how image optimization can greatly reduce the file sizes of some of these pictures.

Basic Requirements for posting an image:

In order to post an image to the Internet so that everyone can view it, you must first have an image host. This is normally any server that is always connected to the internet and that has a World Wide Web (WWW) address (and no, your home PC doesn’t count). For example, you can use web space you may have received through your Internet service provider (ISP), or you can use one of the free image hosting sites on the internet, such as Sony’s Imagestation ( http://www.imagestation.com ).

Posting a picture in a post:

To post a picture in a post, first be sure your picture(s) are hosted on the internet, then do the following:

1) Copy the exact WWW address of your image. In Sony Imagestation, for example, you’d log in to your photo album, click on the photo you want, and copy all the text in the address bar at the top of your web browser software (such as Internet Explorer).

A valid WWW address would look something like this:
> http://www.webhost.com/myusername/imagename.jpg

The following are NOT valid web addresses:
> File:///c/mydocuments/pictures/imagename.jpg
> \\computer\c\my documents\pictures\imagename.jpg
> C:\my documents\pictures\imagename.jpg

2) In the post you’d like to insert the picture to, you’d type the following:

[ IMG ] http://www.webhost.com/myusername/imagename.jpg [ /IMG ]

*Note that you’ll need to remove the spaces from the [ IMG ] tags and place your image’s WWW address in between the [ IMG ] [ /IMG ] tags.

Including a custom image in your Avatar or Signature:

To include a post in the Avatar area:
1) Make sure the image is hosted on the Internet
2) Click on “profile” at the top of the forum page
3) Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and in the text box labeled “Link to off site avatar”
4) Type in your image’s WWW address exactly.
5) Press submit
6) Note that your avatar should be no larger than 80x80 pixels in size as an image larger than that makes the forum hard to read.

To include a post in the Signature area:

1) Make sure the image is hosted on the internet
2) Click on “profile” at the top of the forum page
3) Find the text box labeled “Signature” near the top of the page.
4) Type the following, placeing your image’s WWW address between the [ IMG ] and [ /IMG ] tags: [ IMG ] http://www.webhost.com/myusername/imagename.jpg [ /IMG ]
5) Note: be sure to remove the spaces in the code above
6) Click Submit

Have fun using pictures on Jeepz.com :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Hi,

By popular request I'd like to add the following:

Note about Imagestation: For those of you who have pictures hosted on Sony's Imagestation but cannot get them to display here's what you need to do: First follow all the directions above. When you get to the part where you type in the address of the image, you will notice the address ends with mypicture.jpg.orig.jpg

In order for your imagestation hosted pics to show up, youll need to remove the .orig.jpg form the end of all image addresses. :mrgreen:

hey nick i found a better place than imgage station.. its called imageshack, its pretty much the same thing but made just for hot linking, when you get done w. your upload it shows you the location and already has it in the html code ([IMG} etc) you just have to copy and paste. its a lot easier than having to deal w. imagestation

I use Photobucket.com, and it's great for people like me that are computer illiterate. It gives three different source codes, one for image hosting, one for HTML, and I don't know what the other one is....but I do know it's free and easy!

yea thats what imageshack does too.. im not sure waht my 3rd option is either

Hi,

I only used imagestation in my instructions because a lot of the members here used it during the time I wrote this thread. Of course, any service could be used, the goal is simply to have the image files hosted on a server connected to the internet. :mrgreen:

Or the Jeepz.com Reader Rides section :wink:

Nick and Terry,

I was hoping to get permission to copy this tutorial (and possibly the image optimization too) for my local club's forum. Would that be okay?

I'll make sure to give credit where it's due and post a link to Jeepz ;)

Harry

Any chance of making this thread a sticky in this forum???

Back