Infinity gold sound system

bchcky

i have a 96 zj, and it has the factory infinity gold system in it. i want to put an aftermarket deck that i've got into my car. the problem is that there's a small amp under the back seat that runs to the speakers....i called tweeter yesterday and he said i have to run the wires from each speaker to the deck, they all meet at the amp. (or run the deck to the speakers, probably easier) but then i just have to figure out which wire comes from which speaker so i hook it up to the right wires from the deck. does this sound right to anyone who knows this stuff? i'm pretty sure it is, and what's the easiest way to do this? (both running the wires, and figuring out which wires come from which speakers)

Yep that's about right, its basically just a connection from the amp to the deck right now to hook those 2 up, but all the speakers wire directly into the amp. Easiest thing would be to send wires from the deck to where the amp is and connect up to all the speakers right there.

Or you could get another (better) amp for all of your speakers and put it where the current one is.

As far as which wires come from teh speakers...that should be pretty easy, the only wires that goto an amp are power, rca to deck, ground and speaker wires (probably a remote wire too but that's an easy one to pick out).

I used to splice the line in to the line out on the old infinity systems. Then you have speaker wire from the dash to the speakers. This worked because the infinity amps used a speaker-level input. If they have changed them, and they now use a line-level input, this won't work. I'm guessing they're the same though.

When you call Tweeter, Best Buy, CC, they will tell you what costs more, thats what they are trained to do, trust me, I installed at Best Buy.
With the infinity gold system, there are a couple of options, You can wire the deck directly into the factory wiring for the amp, you will not get the full potential of the deck and might be some distortion at medium to high volumn that would not be there with out it (the amp) You alos will not be able to run a aftermarket amp, that is unless you want a little fire and the smell of melting plastic under your rear seat (Ford explorers are the same way.) The next best option is to Run some speaker wire form the output of the deck out back to the out put of the amp and wire in there. or just bridge at the amp, depends on the model. I can't remember the years of GC's that had the IP bus output from the deck to the amp. If you want to add a aftermarket amp, this gets even easier, just run the RCA's from the back of the deck to the amp, then the outputs from the amp to the outputs of the factory amp. Your jeep is real easy to put a deck in that there is not reason to pay to have it done. I would say it is 10X easier than Brian's was!! If you want I can show ya how to do it. all ya need is a philips Screw driver and a 10mm socket. The parts needed are a chrysler wiring harness and a chrysler dash kit.

jps4jeep said:
Your jeep is real easy to put a deck in that there is not reason to pay to have it done. I would say it is 10X easier than Brian's was!! If you want I can show ya how to do it. all ya need is a philips Screw driver and a 10mm socket. The parts needed are a chrysler wiring harness and a chrysler dash kit.

oh i've installed a few systems in my day, there's no way i'd have it done. i'm gonna do it myself, its just a matter of taking out the middle man (the factory amp) between the deck and speakers, that was the only thing that i am new to here, everything else i've seen and can handle. and actually...the guy at tweeter was really helpful, i told him i needed a wiring harness and dash kit and he didnt try to sell me anything else, told me everything was relatively simple to do, i just kinda stopped listening to him after a while.

Just to warn yout, there are a lot of screws in your application, but the only tools you'll need are a #2 philips screw driver, 10mm socket, wire stripper and crimpers and butt connectors (optional is to solder and shrink wrap) Just don't use the wrong things to protect the wires, I have seen all types of tape, masking tape, duct tape, scotch tape, sports tape, and the list goes on!!

Just pull on the surrond around the headlight switch and the AC controls, they pop off, then there are about 10 screws that hold the main dash in. drop the tilt on the column to make life easier. the factory is held in with two 10mm screws, a 3/8 socket will also work. when you go to put the deck back in, here is a hint, the GC don't have a whole lot of room behind the deck so to the rear right there will be a small hole that goes down, try to stick the wires over in ther before you push the deck in.

Back