Cut away Fender Flares

Joopin

Super Moderator
Last week I ordered some Bushwacker cut-away fender flares from Quadratec. When ordering them I asked if there was a template to go by for cutting the YJ tub. They said there were measurements to go by, so I thought, that's just as good.
I installed them right away (last friday) and when it came to cutting the body, the front went fine... but the rear was a different story. I cut the front of the rear wheel opening and ran into some tough plastic matierial. It seemed to be NOT part of the mud guards... so I only cut the one side since it seemed like the wrong place to cut. On the rear of the rear openings the instructions ended up telling me to cut less than an inch off... I didn' think much of it until I put on the rear flares then looked underneath, I could have cut another 3 inches or so! And there was nothing to get in the way either. I can always cut more off later though.

Questions: Has anyone installed anything like this? Did you run into the same problems I did? Any ideas on how to clean up where I cut the jeep? (no more bend back and may be over exposed and proned to rust)
Thanks
Joop

BTW, The finished product does look great, I will post some pics later tonight.

Awesome Joop! I have TJ flares and here is what I can remember. That black plastic is the inner wheel well, just cut it. Some people I wheel with took theirs out. Regarding the rear wheel well, you need to be care ful about how much material you remove from the most foward part cause you can easily cut into the tub (like into the interior) as for the rear, cut away. I think I removed somewhere in the area of 2 inches from the top and rear most portion.

As for safe guarding against rust, after I cut the metal, I hit the cut edge with some rustoleum. taped it off and sprayed away. then cause we live in the rust belt, and the highway department see's it needed to drop 1/4 million tons of salt every mile in the winter. I put a healthy bead of silicone chalking on all cut edges and in the newly drilled screw holes. I allowed for this to set up then installed my flares. I put them on in the autumn so I have only one winter on them, but no rust so far. I remember when I did this I ask Bounty Hunter If he had any rust problem and he said that his were a couple years old and had no rust problem.

yeah... you'll want to get that bare metal covered right away.. rustoleum or any rust preventive paint will do

Sounds like when I installed TJ flares, you can cut at the back of the rear wheelwell right up to the support box that houses the taillight. The front of the wheelwell was cut nearly flush with the inner fender. I removed the plastic liner.

Cool thanks guys, I'm gonna have to take the rears back off before I do any of this... I put them on right away since I was jonesin' for flares! As for cutting too far up on the rear opening I think I did that, cut into the interior or too close to it anyway.... Thanks again for the input, I'll post pics later.
Joop

I've been searching all over the net to find pictures of these on a YJ. I look forward to seeing pics when it's all done. I've been wanting to get these but I'm worried I can't put them on my YJ because I went and cut holes for my flush mount led side markers behind the rear flares.

What did you use to cut with?
I use a sawzall most of the time but have used die grinders, body saws and even a plasma torch. The best way I have found to clean up the sharp edges is with a fine grade file. Just knock the sharp edges off before painting them. That way when you reach in there you won't pull back a nub.

I used a jig saw then filed everything down smooth. Today after work I painted the exposed edges and used some black silicone here and there. Anyway I got pics for those who wanted them... sorry they are kinda dark.

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

As you can see they still don't completely cover the 14.5" wide tires, but it sure does help.

Craig, if you want measurements to see if you can fit the flares on without hitting your led side markers let me know. I'll run out and get em. Thanks again for the help guys.
Joop

Thanks guys, it's come a long way since I got it as you can see...
This is how it looked when I bought it!
image-missing.png

Oh my gosh, my YJ had the same stupid decals on the side of it when I bought mine!!! What were they thinking?!

How much did you have to cut off at the rear of the rear fender? I've got a good inch between my rear flare and my side marker.
What did you pay for your flares? I can get some through a friend of a friend who works at an off road shop for about $500. Canadian. Since I live right next to the border, I'm thinking about driving down to Seattle to get them...probably cheaper there.

Wow Joop, I have to agree with everyone else when i say that is one sweet rig. Those 36's look so natural stuffed under there. I just love it

TARSI

Hey Craig, I cut about an inch off like the instructions told me to, but then once you put the flares on they go up farther. I just measured my rear fender, at the level of the bottom of the tail light, from the vertical fender seam to the edge of the flare is 6.5 inches... I'm assuming your LED is around that area. I hope this helps.
I got the flares from the Quadratec catalog, it came to just under $369 + shipping. I can't find them on the website but they are in the catalog, I'm sure you have it.
Joop

Yeah Joop, Nice job! I know that SOA was alot of work, but it sure looks good and you got nothin' but clearance!

Joop!
:mrgreen:

Man what a beast you have there. I love it!! Great job on the flares and the jeep in general. ::bowing over and over::

Lady

Oil pan gasket

Looks really good with those 36's and the spring over with the flares. Do you have any kind of spring lift on there as well? I plan on doing my spring over this summer and since I couldn't find an 8.8" rearend with 4.10's, I had to settle for the 3.73 gears. I'd like to run 35's but because of the gears I have I think 35's might be too much for them. Looks like I'm gonna have to settle for 33's until I can afford gears but now I'm thinking because I already have a 2 1/2" spring lift, they'll look too small. Mabye I'll have to get the 35's and make do with the loss of power for a while.

Right now the only other lift it has on it is an AAL. They are advertized to give another 1.5" after they settle. They are the Rancho Full leaf set. If you keep the spring lift and add the soa I think you are right about the 33s looking small... I was thinking about getting 33s with my soa, now when I see a jeep with 33s (there is one in my town) I am glad I changed my mind... don't wanna be buyin tires twice!

Back