I know it didn't come from the jeep boards but.....

CaptainJim

That's how the my email name got out. I NEVER used to get any spam till I stared posting. Then the spam began... I know it's probably from one of those emails that I or my wife opened an attachment to that actually caused it, but posting on boards is how they get your email names in the first place.

Capt. Jim

I dont think it is from this sight. I havent gotten one spam email yet and ive been here for over a year! I dont know about everyone else but for me there hasnt been anything.

<responded to your other post as well, it is best to only start a single thread per topic >

Hi,

As others have stated, It is NOT caused by the message board.

What E-mail client do you use? If it's Microsoft Outlook, then that's your first big mistake. Outlook has many security issues, including the fact that it can/will open attachments automatically, thus basically inviting the virus inside of your computer without your permission. Other E-mail clients can have similar problems. Be sure attachments are NEVER allowed to auto-open, and never open attachments from addresses you don't recognize, ESPECIALLY if they are files ending in .EXE (windows executable) or .BAT (DOS/Windows Batch file).

Do you use a GOOD firewall software? Even if you use a router with a built-in hardware firewall, it is almost a requirement now days to be using a decent software firewall on EVERY computer connected to the internet. ZoneAlarm is a great firewall, which even has a free version. Get it from www.zonelabs.com Note that an anti-virus software is NOT a firewall and vice-versa. You should be using both. Windows is one of the only operating systems that doesn't have any form of a built in firewall. So it's no surprise that it is insecure.

What browser do you use? If it is Internet explorer, you Must keep it updated and be careful. Internet explorer also has security issues and is especially good about allowing trojans and spybots, among other things, to inhabit your computer. All you can do is keep it up to date by downloading patches & praying, or get a different web browsing software. A really good free browser is Mozilla Firefox, from www.mozilla.org/products/firefox . It has many features the IE lacks such as a working pop-up add killer/blocker, tabbed browsing, and safety from most trojans and spybots (they aren't able to run through it.)

If you don't take the minimal steps required for internet security, you'll have none and malignant software will find it's way in.

Hope you find that helpful. :mrgreen:
-Nick :!:

Back