Ab workout question

bryanjeep

This is to whoever seriously works out:

What ab exercises do you like to do? I am trying to get other people's opinions on this. I try to change my workout every month and a half.

Sorry for the off-the-wall topic. I was just curious.

I am serious about the way I work out but I dont do it with weights. I practice Kung Fu to stay in shape.

Well there are a few things to do. Im not REALLY serious but i do workout often.

My favorite ab excercise is to lay on my back with my feet straight out and elevated about 1-2 feet off the ground. Then i just do regular crunches. Alot of people do crunches and they curl there bodies towards there knees and thats bad for their backs. The way i was showed and the way i like is to try to lift your head and back straight of the floor as if you were trying to kiss the ceiling, without bending your back. Put your hads or arms wherever they help you keep your balance. Also dont forget while your doing it to keep your feet up and not to slack lol.

I usually just use an incline bench, with your head at the lower end, and hold like a 35 or so lb. wieght. then just do regular sit ups going straight, and then to both sides, the key being to go real slow.
I also like to change every so often. What ab workout do you like to do?

Another good one is to lay flat on your back, then lift your legs and sholder-blades about 2 inches off the ground. Then just do several sets of 10 seconds, or whatever. It usually helps to put your hands under you rear-end in order to keep your balance.

Or, get in the regular 'sit-up' possition, on your back with your knees bent. Then go up to about a 40 degree angle and hold it for 5-10 seconds. Then procceed with several more sets

My favorite so far is to lay on a decline ab bench, but I do it A** backwards. I have my head on the higher part of the bench and my feet on the lower end. I hold on to the upper bar with my hands (where the leg pads are). I slowly lift my lower portion up and over my head. Kind of hard to describe. But it works the entire abdominal region. Give it a shot.

i got a packet from my uncle one time, it came from the fbi training facility in quantico. leg raises are good. but do them upright, get a pull up bar or something to hold yourself up on. be completely veritcal, and just raise your legs 90 degrees, parallel to the floor. in the beginning its easier to do it with bent knees, but once you do it for a while, then you can work yourself up to keeping your knees locked.

Not to over impress any one, But I sort of have degree's in Exercise Physiology. (exercise science), nutrition, and Health Education and teach in a local university in Boston (you would never know that if you met me, I am red neck to the bone!)

Every person in different, Abs are a tough muscle group to work. for best results, it accually come down to the amount of aroebic physical activity you do and your diet. when the body has un-used calloric intake (most likely the McyD's you ate yesturday) the first thing it does is stored it in the most easily accessable area, your gut!
Jogging/power walking is accually the best exersice for a nice flat tummy. Sprinting is not and neither is walking, but both are 100 times better than a seditary life style. Once you have this done, your diet should consist of a good amount of firber, protein, and carbohydrates. (Stay away from supplements, not needed, save the money and buy some running shoes) this is a diet that will promote a increase in metabolism, use of a lot of stored calloric energy, and will help shed excess poundage. this is not a week long thing, this will take a couple of months. the problem is, people will exercise for about a month, they will loose some stored water right away (about 10 pounds) but then seam to platue, they get frustrated and give up. you need to stick to it.

Next is the exercise issue. three exercises are all you need to do! and do them at the beginning of the work out.

You need to first stretch for best work out and minimalize chance for injury.

1-crunches (not sit ups) great for (I am going to use the general muscle name as too not confuse anyone)upper abs

2-Leg raises, great for upper groin (part of the abdominal muscle group) and lower abs

3- side to side crunches or lateral weight raises work the obliques!

This is a general rescipe for great abs, but understand there are different things that will yield different resulfs.
Mainly, 1- genetics and 2- life style.

I am no Arnold Schwartzenager, But I like to think I am in good shape!

here is something that works 10Xs as quick as ANY crunches or situps

Take a Cable form a machine and put a handle on it
Feed the cable through a 35lb weight and drape it over the bar on an incline bench
hold the cable (with gloves) and hold it to your chest and try to put you head to your knees.

One problem
If you have ANY gut what-soever you will make the whole gut into muscle and not have a very trim 6-pack.
loose any belly fat THEN do these excersizes. you will NOT be regreteful.

touching on what jps said.... he mentioned that you NEED carbohydrates... the world is going "Atkins friendly" these days... it is simply a cult... yeah, you will lose weight by cutting out carbs... but what you will also lose is nutrition and energy... carbohydrates are sugars and starches... which ARE THE BODY'S ENERGY.. without them, you weaken... I am a very very serious weight lifter... When in my heaviest workout seasons, tuna sandwiches, water and juices are my best friends... the bread and juices give me energy to work with, tuna gives me protein to repair muscle, and water replenishes my lost fluids, and is essential in SO many ways...

carbohydrates are NOT your enemy... don't get into the hype about "stop eating carbs"... you're gonna hurt yourself if you cut them out

Snitty...I dont totally disagree with the Atkins diet. I regularly lift myself but even with 30 mins of running 3x a week (jps4jeep what to do you recommend for running/jogging frequency) I couldnt loose any weight. I didnt gain much but I was just stagnant. I did this modified intense version of the Atkins diet for 3 weeks and I was able to lose 15 lbs each time. I did it for 3 weeks in Nov. and dropped 15 then again in Feb for another 3 weeks and lost another 15. Inbetween for those 2ish months I dropped 2 more lbs. It was the only thing that worked and I cant imagine that 3 weeks of no carbs and lots of protien hurt me too much. I agree with you I had a ton less energy but it was worth it to actually drop some wieght. Everyone is different and some things work for different people in different ways.

Snitty, we should work out together, You be Arnold, I will be Lou! I used to be interested in competitive bodybuilding, My uncle was a power lifter back in the the 70's. He was huge! 550 lb bench but his dead lift was in the 4 digit range. One time he was deadlifting at a amiture competition and was on stage, out lifted the competition by like 400 lb, when he dropped the weight, the whole stage came crashing down! I will see if I can Find a Pic of him and scan it is.

judge09 said:
I regularly lift myself but even with 30 mins of running 3x a week (jps4jeep what to do you recommend for running/jogging frequency) I couldnt loose any weight.

Depends on you body's genetics to be honest. I work out with a guy and he is 6ft tall, 175 lb, about 8% body fat and is shreaded! he has never done any cardio, and eats like a pig. Then there is me, I am 5'10" 198 with 9% body fat and I jog 3 miles twice a week, and the other day I do 30 min bike and 30 min treadmill, I watch what I eat, and I constantly battle with weight. You need to find something that works for you! if running/jogging is not working try stair climber!

With every 6 min of jogging, the average body will burn 100 calories, it is only 4 min with a moderate stair climber. when you add in the force of gravity pulling down (I think 9.248 newtons) that is added resistance. also you are working more muscles.

If you should fall into a stagnant point where you have no strength increase (I call it the brick wall) what i do, and this is every two months or so, for one weight resistant workout cycle, I use 20% of potential weight for all exercise's then the second week, I go to 80% of potential for a cycle, than I go 105%, and I amost always will have a weight increase.

Lastly, I do not use any supplements. most of them are just over priced useless versions of what you naturally eat ex.. Protein (whey, egg, albumn, syntetic, what ever) regardless you body only has the ability to digest 23 grams per hour, so when you spend the extra cash for 46 grams of protein, you urinate the extra 23 grams out! And your probably going to eat anyways, Instead, eat a skinless chicken breast (1/2-3/4 cup worth) one egg, glass of milk and water! less refined sugars, less money, better quality protein, plus calcium, vit D and loads more protein that is easier to absorb!

Hey, just joined the site and along with being a Jeep lover I am also a certified strength/fitness coach and thought I would chime in.
First thing: What are your goals? Are you looking to get a six pack or more strength in the abs and trunk area...or both?
If your looking for a set of sick pack abs the answer is first in your nutrition plan. I like the saying "If you can't kill it or grow it don't eat it". Stay away from processed foods in boxes and cans and sweets. Try and eat every 3 hours to keep the metabolism revved up.
The second thing is exercise selection. For building up the abs and adding more stability to your trunk/core area compound movements such as squats, deadlifts, and standing shoulder presses are great. Yeah they don't work the abs directly but the amount of work they have to do for stabilization will make them big and strong. I like to think of the body as one machine and train it as such. For some more direct ab work I like planks, hanging leg raises and stability ball crunches and reverse cruches with a full range of motion. Throw in sum twisting movements like cable or medicine ball wood chops...or go chop some real wood or swing a sledge hammer and you'll be on the right track brotha. Also those ab wheels if used right will do the trick.
Let me know what you think
-Tommy T

I don't do 12 oz curls but I DO do the 4 lb, double handed, gruntin',snortin', burrito table curls :shock: Hijo la . . .SANTA MARIA!!!!

Last edited:

I have not tips but I wanted to say to L33TJ33P I love the Official Seal that is great! hahahahaha.

Back