Well... im thinking about buying a jeep...

Ben_Jamin

As of a few months ago i became in need of a new vehicle... stupid transmition.

Anyways!
haha... i have become really attracted to the earlyer 90s Jeep Cherokee and Grand Cherokee... But im still not certain if i should buy.

Really im posting this because i have my doubts and was wondering if some of you guys might be able to inform me a little better on what i would be purchasing.

Its a hard call... i could buy a small car... which would get good gas milage and probibly have less miles on it let alone be of a newer year.

But for some reason im tempted to get a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee instead.

So i was wondering... I was under the impression that jeeps are built really solid.. but is it still unwise to buy one that has over 100 thousand miles on it? When am i going to start looking into serious repairs?

I guess that was my main concern... if anyone could help with that that would be great....

Oh... and i also had the impresion that the wrangler was really the more offroad toy.. but can you have fun with a cherokee too??

Well, thanks to any one who answers... I'll check back later!

Ben,

You came to a really biased place. :lol:

I say buy the jeep (duh), even though you failed to mention the other option. If the Cherokee or GC has an I6 engine that was even half heartedly maintained, that will not be a problem. Other parts vary. Some questions you should ask yourself ; Was it driven in the city? Was it taken off road? Accidents? Do you live in urban or rural area? Do want to do some off roading? Gas mileage and how important is iy?

Most of all go with the 'gut'.......its 87.976452726% right!

DW

if you're looking at the 95 grand.. its a nice ride.. I have one and love it.. and if its the 4.0l they are good for well over 200k. I bought mine at 130k without a second thought. And the grand is good offroad.. I take mine offroad all the time... http://irvinefamily.org check out my site.. under hobbies, i have all kinds of pics of my grand offroad, and it's stock (for now).

Hi ben,
I own a 93' Grand with 160 on it and besides having to replace some small things in it (thermostat, ac compressor, tires.) its an awsome runner very practical I get about 20 miles a gallon around town rompin on it once and awhile.
Good luck hope to see you buy one and join or jeepz family :D

Welcome!

So your looking for a jeep?

I would definatly take the 4.0 motor anyday, not the fastest thing out there, but it is a strong motor, you can easily get 250K+ miles out of one. I am pretty sure you would like to hear some of the negatives about owning a jeep.
1. You will soon discover that adding things to your jeep will be a adiction, so.. if you get a loan to purchase a jeep, might as well as an extra $2000 to it so you can what we say "modded".
2. if it is a 5 spd your after, check the syncro's. the ax15's syncros will last a long time, but jeep specified the wrong oil for them and the Stuff they recommended can be abusive to the brass syncro's
3. Jeeps are not very well know for their stough radiators (at least the YJ's wranglers aren't)
4. When you buy a jeep, your joining a family! people will randomly wave to you when you drive past them, Known as the jeep wave. very easy to master! also you will notice that you don't mind parking farther away from your destination if it means parking next to another Jeep!

Those are just a couple.

I've owned & known many that have had the inline six hold up well over 200,000 miles with no trouble & get great gas mileage to boot. The previous owner's care in buying any vehical is always critical so look it over for signs of abuse. I'd recommend looking at many before purchasing one. A Jeep of any model is a joy to own & a thrill to drive.

Central Ohio WranglerFest 2004

Welcome to the wonderful world of Jeeps. Here is what you need to do. Run Run run far and fast as you can. Beat yourhead against a wall till you want a Pinto or anything but a Jeep. If you buy one you will with out a dought be additcted and there is not getting over this one. Like Crack some get coaught in the snare after a simple ride with a friend as a one time thing. So run away and do what you must to not buy a Jeep. Hooked you will be!!!!!

Just kidding get yourself a Jeep. Any Jeep!!! Join us here and suffer the long journey of never ending up grades and repairs. It will get to the point that if your jeep runs and drives and looks great you will go out and try everything you can to make it break just so you have a reason to work on it.

If you are a family man make sure you wife and kids will be understanding of things like spending the rent money to buy bigger tires. spending the food budget on a lift. Laying out of work to go trailing cause it rained last night and your jeep needs a Mud fix.

After all of this you still want a jeep get a Wrangler from 87 to 95 a YJ and be happily broke and alone for the rest of your life hehehehe tug

tug alway good for a laugh while still being completly serious.
it really is an adiction. i'm about ready to trade my truck that i've had for two months and is in near perfect working order for another yj or possibly something older. my yj got totaled and is awaiting heavy modification.

i haven't seen a jeep between my buddies ( range from 86-91 cj/2yj's/cherokee) under 150,000 mi. i've got over 223,000 on my yj and no problems (that carter carb is gone). i'm pretty sure the guy before me beat it pretty hard too.

all were I-6's. can't beat that engine in my opinion.

go with a jeep and you'll never look back. espicially after that first time off road. don't forget to wave.

Hahaha.... yea to be honest i knew it was a very Biased place... i really just wanted some encoragement from the people telling me other wise.. ^_^

I think being the nerd i am i have already set my self up to be Broke and Single, so im down with that! Also i must say- as i spent time looking for a site to post these questions on, i was really pleased with the over all personality of people who own jeeps. It seems like i would have a great time joking around with you guys as a went on to more then likely distroy my first jeep. I really want the I-6... because right now im driving a Dodge Ram with a a 5.9 littre engine... and i tell you what... GAS SUCKS... at the price of close to $2 a gallon... i spend more on gas then anything for the truck.. and i want to have some money for moddifying... and you know... food.

I dont know much, to be honest, about serious driving or vehicle things. But im eager to learn. IM really happy to hear that your jeeps are known to go over 200k very glad to hear it.

Anyways, i live in a urban area, i would do alot of city driving. In all honesty im looking forward to the addiction of being able to go for rides off road.. but i have no idea where to do that here... i live in North West Indiana, near chicago... and everything is black top here -_-.

Thanks for the adivise everyone, i look forward to joining your family!
Ill tell you how everything goes!
Ben_Jamin

waggy knucles and spindles.

well im biased to the 94 Cherokee XJ.............. it is cheaper to maintain than the GC and cheaper to mod......it is a work horse and has not failed me yet..........it sticks with the best of them let me tell you.........so go with an XJ

FiC

ok it's been to long now. you are going to buy a jeep. right?.

you were decided before you came here i'm sure. you were just looking for some confirmation. well i think you found it so buy one already :p

you know you want one. we know we want you to get one. so get over it. make some comparisons. buy a decent one for not to much $. and make everyone happy. we'll welcome you. and can't wait to wheel with you. hope to see you on the trails soon.

hhahaha.... yea your right skyjeeper... i wanted one before i came here.... you cought me there...

So far i have a few diffrent jeeps in mind. But i want to be frank with you all... i really dont know the diffrence in modles... i only started taking intrest in the jeep brand in the last few months. So i really dont know what FiCJeep was talking about when he suggested a sertain modle..

Anyways... this is the add im currently looking into. Tell me what you think.

Jeep Grand Cherokee 1995
ORBIS, 121k, Loaded, Greed, 4x4, $6,000 or Best Offer

Ok.. what does the ORBIS mean???? And i was under the impression that all jeeps were 4x4, but are there any that are both two wheel and four wheel drive... so that im not ALWAYS running on four... not that that would stop me from getting one... just curious... gas moneys and all...

Anyways.. im really happy i found you all.. i feel like i can buy one with confidence that there are people here who will support me through any crap i might go through with it. And that means alot.

OH OH OH!

There was one serious question i had! AND NO I REMEMBER.

Ok... i know you all LOVE jeeps.. and there the PERFECT vehicle.. RIGHT!

RIGHT!

alright then. But im sceptic.. and need to know.

Alright... if the engine has 121k miles on it, so does EVERYthing else..

ALL things have to have SOMETHING that isnt ETERNAL....
IF i buy a jeep, and it has over 100k miles on it...
What kind of repairs should i just "expect" In your experience, what kinda of repairs have you guys had to do just because if normal wear and tear.. so that i know what to budget for.

Phew... im so anoying with all these naggin questions... but im really glad i found people to ask. Thanks.

ben, that grand cherokee ad you saw, must have been written wrong. its "orvis" that it said, not "orbis" orvis is just the model (its a fishing company). orvis is like a limited, or a laredo etc...

i bought a jeep with 109k. no major problems yet, couple radiator leaks, but thats cause i live in new england and it was getting hot one day, freezing the next, so some of the rubber hoses were losing their seal, easy replacement. so far other than that i've changed the o2 sensor and the oil. no problems, no complaints.

i own a 96 grand cherokee. i love it, some see it as a grocery getter, but its got a v8 and is fully capable of off roading once i get my mods done. all jeeps are capable, xj's (cherokee), zj's (grand) and all the cj's, yj's and tj's. just go with what you want to be driving when you are actually on the road, cause any will handle off the road as long as you know what you're doing. FiCJeep is right, xj's are cheaper to mod than zj's. but to each his own, we're all jeepers when it comes down to it!

keep an eye out, and your jeep will find you. :lol:

Re: Wheelin' anyone?

Alright, thanks for the help. So... im starting to get the jargon down... xj's - cherokee and zj's - Grand Cherokee... i can handle that.

first thing... the add really does say Orbis... hahah... good ol news pappers.

Second... i have never been offroading and only after looking into jeeps did it start to apeal to me. The idea that i would be able to have a vehicle that isnt so dependant impresses me. However after spending some time on this site i have become somewhat intimidated... i have alot to learn.

And also, being that im a collage kid i have very little money. So i might look into getting a xj's instead... we will see... I'm slightly pressed to get another vehilce soon... but im taking my time and learning... hence why im here. Thanks again for the help.

get one of these:
image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

Many don't realize what one can do with an XJ (cherokee) All Jeeps rule, but I love my XJ!

That last one has the coolest bumper I've ever seen. I'm having that custom made in black. I should get it in a couple of weeks!!!

Actualy... it all started just seeing the jeeps and thinking... hmm.. thats a decient sized vehicle... so i might fit.. (im six foot six) and .. it has room for my guitar gear in the back... which is nice... and most of all it dosnt seem to have a bunch of frilly plastic crap that serves no perpose but to be broken covering it... thats nice.

THen... i was on spring break... we stoped at datona beach where your welcome to drive down on the beach... and i saw a XJ like the top one.. and fell in love... thats really what i want is the XJ... Infact i want mine to look just like the top one when im done... lets see how it goes... thanks for the advise.. hey what does a standerd XJ have as the engine?

(Im just FULL of anoying questions)

you want the 4.0l no matter which jeep you get.... you can't kill it... the 4 cyl is ok but a little under powered if you plan on lifting it and bigger tiress.

Back