Selecting a GPS

whiterubicon

My jeep has a new friend

Who uses a GPS and what kind do you use? I am just now looking into them but not sure what kind would work best for me. I would use it mainly in my Jeep while trying to find my way from here to there. I get lost everywhere I go. I think I want a hand held since Jeep security is an issue. I was looking at the Rino. It has a radio that my wife and I could find a use for. So any ideas?

I was about to post the exact same question. I'm also looking for a hand held unit but one that can also be used with a computer if I want. I was told by someone that the only real differnece between cheaper units and more expensive units is the amount of memory they hold.

I've been using GPS for close to 10 years now for my research (I'm a geologist) and I've used a lot of different brands and models. The ones I'm using right now are the Garmin etrex variety. You can get the cheap yellow Garmin etrex (which are fine, easy to use and enough memory to get you going) for about $90-100 at REI, Bestbuy, etc. I've also seen these on ebay for $70-80. I've used these like them had no dramas with them. I hook them up and download data frequently (you can also upload). I personally am using a Garmin Etrex Venture right now. It runs $140-150, has a few extra features and a little nicer design. No real major differences though. All of the etrex models are 12 channel receivers (thats good) as are most Magellan etc at this point. There are other etrex models that have different features making them more expensive (e.g. altimeters, electronic compasses, etc.) but if you are just getting started stick with the basics. I haven't used Magellan in over 5 years. They were clunky back then which is why I switched to the Garmins, but I have some buddies that use newer Magellan models and they look comparable to the Garmin models at this point.

Now those were the handheld varieties, if you want the GPS that is permanently mounted in your vehicle with the large screen and color maps etc. you're talking $600-800 and I don't have any experience with those other than the one time it was a feature in a rental car. But it did kick butt.

So, I swear by the Garmin extrex models, and if you're just getting rolling the cheaper models with less feature are fine (quite frankly, unless you travel to other countries with crappy maps etc. the altimeter is more or less useless, the horizontal resolution from the GPS is much better than the vertical resolution of both the GPS or an altimeter and the topo maps here in the USA are great so it pretty much boils down a waste of money for those features for most).

Let me kwow if that was helpful, I can gladly give you more details if necessary.

Cheers

I have the Magellan Sporttrak Map - I would definitely recommend it. you can upload street detail as well as use the breeadcrumb trail to keep you from getting lost on the trail >I have the cigarette lighter adaptor and dashboard mount for it, so I can use it both handheld and in the Jeep.

This is the one I have and I love the color screen. Works great. It got me to a tiny fising hole in Arkansas that others with a map had trouble finding. I've been very happy with it. Garmin 60C

image-missing.png

Don't forget to shop around online for the best price. Froogle.com works pretty well.

I've been with Graewulf when he was using his, and the only problem I saw with it around here, was when you couldn't get a sattilite (sp?). Just think about where you wheel before going through the expense.

I like the etrex! I use it for mountain biking, hiking, and wheelin.

Funny thing, 5 of us were out mountain biking. We had 3 GPS units and one guy is a Scout Master. We made it back to an area in Cedro peak, where 5 trails come together. We couldn't figure out which trail we needed to take to get out! LMAO. Obviously we made it. It was pretty hilarious though.

Sometimes someone will print out the ride they just did and post it on a website, then others try to guess what trail it was, by the shape of the picture.

I have ZERO experience with these. But have always wanted one. So, as you drive, do they auto refresh or do you have to update your position every so often? Also, how detailed do they get. I mean, sometimes there are smaller trails, or new trails.

That breadcrumb feature sounds great too!! Is that common?

they update every so often.. mine is once a sec... and it puts a dot on the map as you move to make a trail that you can follow back out.

Carter carb questions

the altimeter is more or less useless, the horizontal resolution from the GPS is much better than the vertical resolution of both the GPS or an altimeter and the topo maps here in the USA are great so it pretty much boils down a waste of money for those features for most).

if it wanted one with a good altimeter what is one, i am a student pilot also so that would be a NICE feature to have for me

I personally use a Magellan 315, it's old school but has the basics and works good for me. No color or built-in maps, but it's saved my hide more times than I care to remember.

We just bought a Magellan SporTrak Topo at work ($350). It's got 108mb of nationwide topo maps already loaded, and holds a lot more detailed streetmaps that you can load from CD by region. The topo is nice to have, and it shows most all of the backroads.

I use a Garmin Legend, part of the Etrex line, and love it. It's got mapping capability, computer connection, and generally gets great reception everywhere I take it. They run $100 to $150, depending on where you buy them. The extra mapping software is very detailed, and again, you need to decide what you'll be using it for before you buy the software. Maps and Streets, MetroGuide (what I use) are very detailed, showing every little side street in great detail. Topo mapping software shows very detailed trails, but I don't have much experience with it. Friends that I know have it and love it for hiking, biking, 4-wheeling, etc.

Most of the units now have the "breadcrumb" track features, and also have a "Trackback" feature which will help guide you back along that breadcrumb trail to your original starting point.

From the people I've talked to about the Cobras, they just are too buggy right now to be worth the money. Give them a few years to work out the kinks before you buy one. I'm a Garmin fan, but Magellan makes good units, also.

Thanks alot for all of you input. I love this forum! I bought my new gps lastnight and used it today to navigate to my aunts house. Awesome! I got the magellan meridian color. My wife said that it was stupid caus any map could do the same thing. Then we used it. She was very impressed to say the least. We were debating about a change of direction when I said "look at the gps" no more debate. Not even a wrong turn. Aunt's house is about 2.5 hours from ours and we always get lost. Not this time! Any way, Thanks again.

Back