snapped cable

frankiefire702

2.8 to a 4.0

i bought a new cable for my winch a few weeks ago from mile marker. i figured i'd save a few bucks on the warn cable. i used the cable for the first time a few days ago and the crimp where the loop is at the hook end snapped in half. this was my first time using it. i will never think of buying anything from mile marker again. just thought i'd give you guys a heads up. never buy cheap winch cables. :roll: you definitely get what you pay for.

did you see if they'll warranty it? was probably a bad crimp.

they are sending me a replacement but i will probably sell it. i already ordered a warn replacemant for a little more money. i'm just the kind of person that once something like this happens i won't use that company again. maybe i'm just stubborn but that's the way i am.

They probably had the rookie on the crimper that day and overcrimped it. I was wondering the other day how many people that had happened to.
Since we are on the subject, how much does it cost to get a new cable? What about the synthetic rope stuff? Mine is in sad shape. I believe the winch will take 125' of 3/8" maybe 5/16".

well i can tell you the milemarker cable in 5/16 and 100' cost me 65.00. the warn cost me 125.00. the synthetic rope from warn is around 600.00.

$600 Bones! That's just stupid. I'll take my chances with the wire.
I think the $65 is a good deal if they can crimp them right. You probably can't get it any cheaper locally.

That's pretty. What a coincidence that the rope is blue and the abrasion cover is yellow...it matches my Jeep.
The price isn't too bad. I'll put that on my wish list, right behind the transfer case, seats and harnesses.

That Rockstomper line does seem like it is a pretty good price and would be worth a try. At least it 'looks' like it would work good.

My D-30 Lincoln Locker - Pics Inside

Rope doesn't handle dirt and being drug across the ground very well, breaks down the rope after time. Very expensive. Check those with experience with winch ropes, there are definately certain brands to avoid. Maybe check at Pirate.

I bought 150'x5/16" cable from a company out of TX on ebay for about $75. It's done pretty well so far. Probably get a Warn cable next time, I like what I've seen from them.

Rope doesn't handle dirt and being drug across the ground very well, breaks down the rope after time.
I guess that's why they put the abrasion cover on there. I have nothing against the wire except that mine has two damaged areas where it has been mashed in the spool.

Back