What would you like to learn?!!!!!!!

mingez

I'm always cookin' up these crazy "getting to know you" posts. But they are fun, I have insomnia, and it does give us some insight to eachother so here it goes...

If there is one thing I've learned about everyone on this board, it's that we are all so different. We are all different in terms of what we want out of our jeeps and what we know about modifying them. Some of us are newbies, some are salty old tech vets. Some of us don't want to modify at all. And it's all good.

So I pose the question:
"What would you like to learn about this crazy hobby?? "
And I don't ONLY mean tech. Trailing techniques, how to change a tire, electrical, whatever pertains to Jeepz.

I'll start:
1- I want to learn how to weld. I want to be able to fabricate, and make something for my XJ without having to pay a pro. Customize a roll cage, make a bumper, anything.

2- I also wan't to learn how to do body work. I don't see to many body experts on here. (or maybe most of us don't care about body work) :D I think it's the artistic side of me that makes me want to learn this.

How about you all???

1.I would like to learn to weld.

2.to make my jeep my jeep.

What should I do?

I want to learn how to do diff. work (setting up gears and such), and how to weld as well.

I want to learn EVERYTHING!!! But most of all like mingez Im facinated by my husbands ability to do awsome body work and paint jobs. Ive learned alot just by hanging out at the shop but it will always amaze me.

1. I'd really like to learn to weld.

2. I'd like to save myself (and my friends time and money and learn how to do ring and pinion work.

3. Learning electrical.

PS. - How to stop that stupid 12:00 from blinking on my VCR :lol: jk

I taught myself how to weld. It's not pretty but it holds.
I don't think I have the patience to set gears. If you truly do it right then it can mean taking the bearings and shims off a multitude of times to get it right. The last set of gears I had replaced to my guy about 40 tries to get it. It patterned out perfect when he was done. Most people would have gotten it in the ball park and said forget it.
I have dabbled in paint and body work. I patched and painted my Jeep myself and it looks pretty good for my first try. I would like to learn more about doing that as well.
I definitely want to know more about 4 links and setting up coil over suspensions.
I can do basic things on a machine lathe but would like to be able to do more.
I can always stand to learn more about engines and fuel injection. There are so many advances made every day that it's hard to keep up. They are getting crazy with these new GM engines. (The Colorado has a 5 cylinder).

I was jonesin to learn how to weld for the longest time... and I just learned how to weld this past month. I could do light welding before but nothing that would hold up to extreme pressure. A guy I work with taught me before I started on my rear bumper. I guess the bumper will test out my welding since there are 3 tow points on it!

I would like to learn some more electical stuff too, I can install stereos and stuff like that but I havn't really gone past that. I will have to bug the electrician in my shop next.

Like most I would like to learn to weld well enough to trust them under the worst conditions. I bought a welder a few months ago and have been doing odd jobs on my jeep and blazer but I am not to the point of building the roll cage or bumpers I want yet.

I would also like to learn to swap a ring and pinion. I need to do it so bad, but can't pay for it.

welding is not tough at all... especially with a good mig... i see that it is quite a common desire here... there are just different factors you have to keep in mind for different materials, heats, gas, angles, bla bla bla... even as a novice, i never had a weld break... and we've put it to the extreme test with the SOA on bbj...

ring and pinion... i've done it... i guess i got lucky... as a rookie, i did my rear end in an hour... 2 years so far and no problems... i've changed gears in the ol' dirt track car as well.. no problems there... but... it also eases your mind doing it when you know you have spares sitting around if you do it wrong and something breaks

I have done that same gear job myself and condsidered myself lucky in getting it close. If you swap a gear set from like axles then you can likely use the same shims and get it close. Close enough that you may never notice on a trail vehicle.
On a daily driver, I wouldn't try it. The guy that sets my gears told me he would trust any of his to go 100,000 miles and he will also only use original Dana gears or Precision Gears. I think setting gears is more of an art to him. You also have to know what the scribes are on the pinion to know what to set the pinion depth at. They are usually not stamped but scribed in there with a + or - figure. I'm not sure what it exactly tells you about the depth and at what point you measure from, but I know that is what the figures represent. You also have to know the pre-load setting for the pinion bearings and have one of those fancy preload torque wrenches.

I want to learn the following.....

1) why we drive on parkways and park on driveways
2) why it's called rush hour, when you hardly move
3) am i allowed to do 70mph in an area where there is a sign that reads "35 ahead" and I have two people in my car
4)whose idea it was to take TITUS off tv.

If I can't learn any of those, then I would choose welding, too.

Wanted: 1 fuel injector for 89 4.0L XJ

personally im not at all interested in welding tho i have seen some pretty cool things done, but i have also nursed my hubby thru welding flash, not once but twice!!! his poor eyes, sand from sand blasting, metal from grinding.......the list goes on and yes he wears all the protective gear just bad luck I guess. :cry:

Welding for me too. I have a pretty beefy portable generator so a portable welder would make for a great toy, a-hem I mean tool!
I'd also like to learn how the hell I bought a Cherokee for a daily driver with the mindset that I'd get another YJ when I move to PA this spring/summer, but I have already bought a 4.5" lift, a Hi-lift Jack, wheels, and have been shopping tires. Now I'm looking at a SYE and probably gears, a roof rack, and a spare tire mount. Gee how's the wife gonna like it when I tell her I want to start the YJ search :shock:

I have been a body man for about 14 years now and weld with a mig just about everyday. I have benn teaching myself how to tig weld but I think that I will take some courses on tig because alumnium gives me fits! I use a spool gun if I have to weld alumnium. I would love to know how to set up gears. and most of all I would like to learn how to find time to do more wheeling.

Close enough that you may never notice on a trail vehicle.
On a daily driver, I wouldn't try it

mine is a daily driver.. never had a problem at all... i just switched everything over from the donor... if i knew better then, i would have just switched the axle

This thread really is interesting. Welding is so key to many of us because so much of our dreams of building up our Jeeps require it. It's art.

It's interesting to see where you are all at. Great responses.

Todd, consider: Alarms go "off" not "on". Talking behind someone's back means you are in front of them. Add those to your list. :)

purpleyjgirl said:
i have also nursed my hubby thru welding flash, not once but twice!!!
Could of used you saturday nite :cry:
I just slept it off.. But I will NEVER do that again...

Like to rebuild a automatic soon....

1) Ditto on the welding.
2) And the gears. I will need that in the future.
3) Fuel injection. It would be nice to make junk yard parts work.

White said:
purpleyjgirl said:
i have also nursed my hubby thru welding flash, not once but twice!!!
Could of used you saturday nite :cry:
I just slept it off.. But I will NEVER do that again...

Like to rebuild a automatic soon....

No protection???? :shock:

Back