windshield down driving

jeep90

summer is almost here and just wondering what some of yall do when driving with the windshield down. im not talking highway here, there is a dirt road about 40 miles long in the mountain that i like to drive on in the summer. when you have the windshield folded down on a yj what do you do with the support bars that bolt to the windhield coming off of the roll bar? i usually just take min completely off, but i seen a guy last summer with his rigged up on a hinge somehow where they would fold against the roll bar when the windshield was down.

i take my bars off... go ahead on the highway... its not so bad... but if you wear contacts... make sure you cover up

Conversion

Were gearing up for the 17 year locusts (cicadas) here in MD. Windshield HIGHLY recommended :shock: untill next spring :lol:

Snitty said:
i take my bars off... go ahead on the highway... its not so bad... but if you wear contacts... make sure you cover up

please... (ok, i'm extremely safety conscious) wear good impact resistant goggles if you're gonna be running WS down on the highway. you only have 2 eyes, and they can't be fixed if something smacks into them at high speed. and no, prescription eye glasses are not adequate protection.. they WILL shatter if hit hard with a bug. I've heard of bikers blinded when riding with inadequate eye protection, i'd hate to see it happen to anyone here because they were stupid (or nieve).

just my .02

Here in MA. It illigal to drive with the windshield down or with no mirrors. Last summer when I took my doors off...off came my mirrors and then came the ticket.
Whatever you do do it safe and make sure its legal in your state. :wink:

:lol:

Twisted wrote:

17 year locusts (cicadas) in MD.

DUDE! No one informed me down here about this? LOL I thought they wre out every year in the wooded areas. We gonna have an infestation this year?

Personally, I'd never ride highway with no windshield. But, I have no taste for raw bugs. I would think about it if it was easy and I was beaching.

Oh yea, what Graewolf said. I work in the industrial field. You DO only have two eyes, two hands, two arms, etc. I see so many people that have ONE hand, ONE eye, or even worst yet are not alive today because of a lack of using safety devices when dealing with hazards no matter how small the hazard appears to be. Please stay safe.

Purpley, we have to have two rearward facing mirrors in MD. I haven't taken both doors off yet for just that reason. I knew I'd get a ticket, that bites girl! I am getting mirror movers real soon so I can have the doors off this summer.

Lady

Only one rear-facing mirror required in IL, so you can have both doors off as long as you have the rearview on the windshield.

You could fab a hinge on those stock spreaders, but it likely would not be as strong as the stubshaft there now.

LadyJeepFreak said:
:lol:

Twisted wrote:

17 year locusts (cicadas) in MD.

DUDE! No one informed me down here about this? LOL I thought they wre out every year in the wooded areas. We gonna have an infestation this year?

Lady

Yup. Bugs errywhere :?

Were gearing up for the 17 year locusts (cicadas) here in MD. Windshield HIGHLY recommended untill next spring

maaan that sucks!!! even if you leave your windshield up then you'll still get crap all over your car.... jeeps are meant to be covered in mud, not bug guts!

Here in MA. It illigal to drive with the windshield down or with no mirrors. Last summer when I took my doors off...off came my mirrors and then came the ticket.
Whatever you do do it safe and make sure its legal in your state.

Quadratec has great sideview adapters for driving with no doors. There is also an adapter for the lower door hinge that you slide in to the hinges and it's a foot rest.

If you're shifting that much, you must live in Los Angeles. LOL J/K

I have my foot resting on the door jam alot, here in Albuquerque. At least while on the road.

Quadratec has great sideview adapters for driving with no doors. There is also an adapter for the lower door hinge that you slide in to the hinges and it's a foot rest.
Yeah I never got around to getting the mirrors but the current owner did and they lokk soooo sweet, actually the whole jeep does im so jealous :x

Back