tires and wheels

jclinton

I am wondering about tires and wheels for my new jeep. I have a new 2004 rubicon and want to change the tires and wheels on it. I was thinking about going with 16x10'' Mickey Thompson Classic 2 wheels (imitation bead locks) and their 35'' baja claw tires. Would the 10'' wheel option be better than the 8'' option for offroading and rock climbing? And, if I went with the 10's would I need to make some modifications beyond a skyjacker 4'' rock ready lift?

Anyone's thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Leaking soft top.

I think the wheels that come on the Rubicon are pretty pimp. I don't know why you would want to change them.
If you insist then I would say buy the wheels and tires as a package deal from Desert Rat or 4 Wheel Parts wholesalers. They run specials every now and then. You will have to pay shipping but you will save on taxes and mounting.
I would go with the 8" wide wheel for a 35". It will make the tire stand up more and be a true 35". The wider the rim, the more it will flatten out and be undersized.
They offer the tires in Radial and Bias Ply. The radials may be better if you plan on doing a lot of street driving.

I'm running a skyjacker double flex with 15X10 wheels..only thing i did was get later fender flares. you should be good.

Your backspacing on the Mickey's should be sufficient to clear what you want. Is this gunna be a trail rig?? 4" isn't much clearence for 35's

i would go with a 8" wide rim. it will hold the bead better when your aired down.

L33TJ33P - You mentioned 35'' not giving me much clearance on a 4'' lift. Would you suggest 33'' instead? I am going to be doing mostly trail riding but rock climbing will come more into play when I get the experience.

When you start getting into Articulation and what not even if you disconnect your Front Swaybar on the Rubicon you are going to Rub badly. When that front axle is released it moves A LOT. I would not even trust the Factory Rubicon with the Sway bar disconnected. If you look at my Siggy, that is a 2" lift with 31's I thought about going with 32s but I prefer the nimble flex over the size of the shoe.. That is just me though. I would suggest (In My Opinion) no more than 33" for a 4" lift. Then, get your tools out and remove the rear swaybar (gives a little rear-end roll that you can get used to) then get some Disconnects on the Front (I like JKS quicker disconnects, easier to use and ya don't need help to work with them on a trail)

Note: Sway bar removal NOT Track-bar
The Rear-Sway-bar is a thin piece of metal tube that hooks Axle to Axle NOT Axle to Frame.

Again this is all my personal likes and dis-likes Not something you should take as a "Do" or "Do Not"

It sounds like your really new to the arena. If you haven't owned a lifted truck before I would suggest that you drive the Jeep as is for awhile until you gain some skills. The rubicon with the stock 31's should be more than enough to get you started. If you've never owned a lifted 4X4 before and you jump right to 35's chances are greatly increased that you're going to damage your Jeep

I agree with the previous posts. 8" wheels for a 12.50 tire width. I also agree that 4" would be better suited with 33's.

You can get away with 33's and stock gears especially since the Rubi comes with the 4:10 gears. Going to a 35" tire will leave you wanting to re-gear the axles. Just another thought to consider.

So... If you really want 35's, re-gear and get more lift.

If it were me, I'd do the 4" and 33's. Larger lifts are much more complex and pricey and 4" is plenty of lift to get you acclimated with offroading.

And by the way - Welcome to Jeepz!

Back