CB install issue

geopig

Dana 44 axles for sale

Hi all, I installed a CB in my 91 Wrangler today. It is a Cobra 19 DXII. The install went successfully, at least I think so. For the power source I crimped on a spade connector and plugged it into the fuse panel as outlined at this site (yes I know it was for an XJ).

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/electrical/xj_cbradio01/

The spot in the fuse panel had a radio label on it, and it is a switched source. And of course I grounded to the body. I don't have an antenna hooked up yet, since I'm hoping to score a free one which I'll find out about early in the week. Also I installed a PA speaker under the hood and have it hooked up to the CB. It works fine.

Okay, so here is the issue, the CB gets power (as does my radio) but when I turn off the ignition with CB turned off, my radio stays powered up for 5-10 seconds before shutting down. However, if the CB is on (as well as the radio) both go off instantly when I turn off the ignition. I tried plugging the CB power in another location (marked acc -- accessory) in the fuse panel but it did not power the CB.

Anybody have this happen or know what the problem is? I don't think that this is a major problem, but I want to make sure I haven't screwed things up here. Thanks in advance for the help/suggestions.

Cardomain

thats how mine works. jeep off radio off. you have an aftermarket radio right? some do that just as a reminder to take th face off..some beep, some play for a few more seconds.

Yes it is an aftermarket radio. It does beep to remind me to take the face off. However, prior to CB install the radio used to just turn right off, then the reminder beeps started after 2 or 3 seconds. Now however the radio itself actually stays on (i.e. the music keeps on pumpin'!) for 8-10 seconds, then it turns off then the beeping ensues. Again, if the CB is on, along with the radio when ignition is turned off the radio goes off immediately (followed by beeping) as it did before the CB install. So the fact that I get 2 different results when the ignition turns off whether the CB is on or off concerns me.

geopig, on an unrelated note, how do you like the cb? i realize you havent got an antenna yet, so you probably havent used it much, but how does it seem to you? PA work well? i ask cause that will be one of the next things i buy once my lift goes on. thanks!

same thing happens with my after market radio and cb, i dont mind it. kinda like still listenin to my music as im walkin away from the car...

haha yeah, geo, your yj is now just like a new benz! i valet cars, and in benz's the radio stays on until you open the door to get out, regardless of the key being out. so you just made your yj fancier, thats all.

Be careful turinin it on without an antenna hooked up. I've heard you can damage the radio by either broadcasting or receiving without an antenna...I think broadcasting. Don't ask me why or how, just what I've been told.

yeah.. don't key up without an antenna.. you can fry the finals real fast.... I'd leave it off till you get an antenna if it was me.

there isn't anything wrong. there are capacitors used to power the radio for a few seconds after the ignition is shut off. with the additional power being drawn by the cb the capacitive charge is used quicker.

dont key mic on cb till ant attached and mke sure after install ant to set swr's to maximze radio distance.dont know anything about the 19's if possible upgrade to a cobra 25 or 29classic

Back