Poor Man's Air Compressor

I guess it's possible...if you want to fill your tire with an air/fuel mixture which would be under pressure and don't forget your tire heats up as you drive....I'd love to see that one!
Here's something a little off topic that I saw on an off road show. The guy debeaded his tire and had to put it back on the rim. He used some kind of flammable (can't remember what) and sprayed it all around the bead, then lit it up. It sucked the tire right onto the rim.

I've seen that engine compressor before, it works. The amount of unburnt fuel is minimal.

Starting fluid (ether) is what's commonly used to seat a bead, let me see if I still have a pic of my buddy doing it, flame on :twisted:

Bounty__Hunter said:
I've seen that engine compressor before, it works. The amount of unburnt fuel is minimal.

Starting fluid (ether) is what's commonly used to seat a bead, let me see if I still have a pic of my buddy doing it, flame on :twisted:

Yup....used to do it all the time when I worked in a tire shop years ago....then OSHA came along and spoiled all our fun! :lol:

The air compressor thing sounds like something my uncle would do. He used to be an avid 4-wheeler in the Tucson area, and came up with some pretty crazy things to get his old RangeRover home. Once, he blew out a cylinder wall, so he pulled the piston, cut down a block of manzanita (very, very hard desert wood) to fit the cylinder, filled it with water to make it swell up, which sealed the cylinder till he could get home. And he did all this out in the middle of the desert by himself. He still laughs about the poor service station attendant that he told to "Pull the plug on #3 and add some water to the cylinder." :lol: The guy thought he was nuts! Well....actually, he kinda was, but at least in 30 some years of desert 4-wheeling he's never been towed home or been stranded. And to think, some people call roadside service to change a flat tire! :lol:

Don't try this at home, kids.
Capntire-3.jpg

there are actually devices (chuffers) that you can put in place of your plugs to move air... they have a diaphram that transfers the pressure to clean air rather than fuel/air mixture

Back