CJ8 purchase

Shooter2

Yesterday I purchased a Ranch truck from a neighbor, It is an 85 cj8
Scrambler. I was able to get it cheap, he thought it needed too much work.
We drove it to my house :) and parked it in the drive. What I found is the rear end is blown out. The front of the pumkin is loose, where the drive shaft enters. My question is, if needed what other rear end will fit on the cj? And does anyone out there have one or can point in the direction I need to go i.e. aftermarket parts. So far thats as far as i'v gotten on it,
I'm sure there will be more.

To answer the question: CHEAP!!!!

Cool.

You'll need a widetrack CJ rear. 82-86 CJ7 and 82-85 CJ8. Some 86s had a D44 rear.
A ScoutII D44 rear is about 2" wider and has the same lug pattern, so alot of people go to that for an easy swap. The SJ rears are about the same width as the ScoutII, but they have a 6 lug pattern.

Thanks for the help, I can start looking. What about gears? am I going to have to replace the front gears if they don't match?

Or replace the rear's as long as they match, iff you get a more desirable gear in the new rear, I would then replace the front, but, with a junkyard rear, I would advise that you give that puppy a new lease on life by rebuilding it.

You should be able to get wide track axles for a CJ for dirt cheap. Just swap both of them out if the gears are different. That way you will have spare shafts and other parts too.
BTW..that loose floppy thing in the middle of the punkin is called a pinion and it sounds like the bearings are shot.

Caliper freezing, over and over...

Yea, the pinion bearing is gone and I mean gone, all the bearings fell out last night when I removed the dif cover. Everything looks good inside, I have my neighbor comming over today to look at it (certified mechanic because i'm not.) I did get the pass side axle out last night, I guess I'll keep plugging away. I did find a similar Jeep in the parts (junk) yard close to the house though. I do have a question, what is supose to carry the pinion shaft? is it just the bearing?

Thanks for all your help guys (and girls)

Back