What wheelin should mean

stinkycheeseman

Many late nights are spent turning a wrench, fastening parts down with zip ties, and cursing at the rig that just didn't take the punishment from a mistake. These are the trademarks of a wheeler. More time spent building, sweating, and swearing than wheeling, but that doesn't sway a gear head from the rocky long journey. The overwhelming satisfaction received when our fruits and labors are on the trails meant for goats always boils over, even knowing in the back of our mind that this ride may lead to even more reconstructive or resuscitative procedures. It makes no difference as to the size or shape of the obstacles, but the personal milestones that are exceeded.
Wheeling is more than who has the highest or best-built rig. To me it is about the pure adrenaline rush before, during, and after the adventure. Drivers that follow this forged path are that much further in the wheeling lifestyle. Anyone who is willing to risk hazard to their rig, beyond street use, to venture off road needs to be recognized. It's not what you have but the desire to hear the sounds of steel on stone, taste of mother earth between teeth, and watching a tire fill a rock mold. Wheeling is not what your driving; it's about what drives you inside!
Remembering when it all began is important. Most of us did not start with a Rubicon, or even a jeep for that matter, yet we managed. Taking an atv, motorcycle, or even the parents suv or truck to wheel it in a trail meant for a deer, is how most of us started. The "wheelin feelin" was there on that first ride. It is the same feeling I still get when I wheel now and that is a keystone.
If you're getting flashbacks of that first venture you know it was crude and probably illegal. It didn't matter what you were burying in the mud or crawling up rocks, but instead it was about being out there on the adventure. So why should it change? It should be about wheeling and being on the adventure, and not about isolating others for their lack of make, model, or look. I'm a three time over jeep owner, but I have always found common road to tread with all, even if they lack a jeep emblem.

Nice dude! Hopefully soon I can be wheelin w/ you and get the full wheelin experience.

I started when I was approx. 10. I removed the mower deck from my parent's riding mower & went wheeling. Moved up to a beat up '54 Chevy pickup when I was 13. Got chased out of several farmer's pastures with it. Mini bikes, dirt bikes, atvs, 4x4s soon followed. It's a great sport that has given me many fond memories & many more to come. I can't wait till my next adventure!!!!!!

Well said!

When I was 18 I went to party in Bel Air and it was back in some woods that are now a highway (Rte 24). There was a big hill that some of the 4x4's were going up and somebody dared me to try it with my 1980 AMC Spirit (RWD, 2.5L 4 banger). It had a little more ground clearance than most other cars, because they made a 4wd version (the Eagle). I hammered it and made it up on the first try, flattening my muffler. I bought my first 4x4 a couple of months 'cause I was hooked. I've had a couple 2wd vehicles since them but felt like a fish out of water in them.

It got a whole lot worse when I bought my first Jeep...

32's on stock rims

Honestly, even when I cut the grass with the tractor, I try to climb the patio stone or what ever challenge the blades can/cannot clear (does this sound familiar). It's an old school tractor but it doesn't matter what brand or make, it's just the adventure! :wink:

I have a pushmower and I have it set on the highest deck setting just because I can't stand seeing it sit too low :shock: . The bummer is I have to cut the grass every other day :(

...no not really.

:roll:

I got my start on my grandpa's tractor. He used to have to come out in the field and get me unstuck at least three times a day when I would visit. Cant wait till I have to do that for my grandkids... Wait, I can wait for grandkids....

It all started when I was bout 3. Riding around in my dad's scout on the hills. I remember I couldnt see over the dash board. Now every time I sit in the front seat of a truck I think back to when I couldnt see over the dash board. Ah good times good times. Now I have my own jeep and now I am the guy in control, I am the one who can see over the dash board.

stinkycheeseman said:
Many late nights are spent turning a....

....even if they lack a jeep emblem.

image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
. that's beautiful, man

btw folks, that's stinkycheeseman standing on the wall in my avatar...

mike, shouldn't you be "grading papers" or something?

just kiddin'

-sudz

Thanks to all for the posts!

Sudz, nice....shouldn't you be polishing off a case!! lol!! Sudz, do you agree that we need all types of rigs, especially for recovery.

Cherokee Mod - Smash or Trash

I first started wheeling in my brother's Honda Prelude whenever he wasnt watching. Gotta love the ground clearance in those things. Now i have moved on to bigger and better things but the feeling is still the same. It doesnt matter what you drive or how good you are as long you are out to have some fun

Side battery terminals...

stinkycheeseman said:
Thanks to all for the posts!

Sudz, nice....shouldn't you be polishing off a case!! lol!! Sudz, do you agree that we need all types of rigs, especially for recovery.

i only indulge on the weekends when there's nothing on my calendar...

i'm still waitin' on the SCM "recovery" XJ to be unveiled!!! what's the scoop?

-lil' jeremey

Started for me with my dads 4 banger toyota pick up. That thing was the $%&* and was one awesome rig. Then, moved up to my 73 Bronco. Then to a 92 Bronco. Now it's me and my 6 pack. Sigh...

Back