Kia Sorento Named "Best in Class" for Compact SUV

southtj

What shocks me most about this article is not that they gave it best in class mostly because it's cheap but that they include the Wrangler in the same category.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040511/latu054_1.html

Compact SUV segment, as defined by Truck Trend, includes Chevy Blazer, Chevy Tracker, Ford Escape, Honda CR-V, Hyundai Santa Fe, Jeep Liberty, Jeep Wrangler (soft top), Kia Sorento, Land Rover Freelander, Mazda Tribute, Mitsubishi Outlander, Nissan Xterra, Saturn Vue, Suzuki Vitara/XL7 and Toyota RAV4.

Now folks this article is based on alot of things..including side impact...
Lets face it Jeeps dont have alot of side impact protection here.
Creature comforts? well my TJ didnt come with alot. Cargo space? where I am still looking for mine!
But if its based on off roadability? Lets see that Kia do the rubicon...stock and earn that trail rated badge.
Funny I didnt see any on Hellsrevenge at the easter Jeep safari...any one else ?

honestly... for today's standards... i can totally see why it won... a top heavy, straight axle, topless box really doesn't cut it in testing these days.... but you won't find me choosing any other utility vehicle over a jeep in my lifetime

I wouldn't really expect the Wrangler to win, but I would never expect the Kia to win. I, personally, would think the Xterra or the Blazer would win.

Yeah I agree with that one. I wasnt realistically saying that the Wrangler should have won...but out of all those vehicles I wouldnt have expected a Kia to win. Maybe I should look into one for the wife....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I dunno about you folks, but I don't drive a compact SUV, I drive a Jeep!

Those Kia's are accually pretty nice, we took my friends off road for a very lite mud excursion and with some meatier tires, it would have been nothing short of impressive! They remind me of a Lexus rs 330 for some reason though!

just a question though...why when it listed all the vehicles did it list the "wrangler (soft top)"??? as if there's a huge performance difference when you have the soft or hard top on? am i missing something?

i own a sportage and a zj. i wheel the shit out of the zj, when it breaks i use the kia. closest i can compare its abilities to is a early 80's toyota shortbox. it freakin goes anywhere i tell it to! including a healthy 543 on a 25 deg ramp with all the sways hooked up. 2.64:1 low range and 5:13 gears. clutch posi in the rear and viscous limited slip in the front.

Back