Rock crawl comp damage

Bounty__Hunter

Super Moderator
Some may remember me mentioning a rockcrawl competition I entered back in March. I blew the rear driveshaft out on the 2nd of three stages, and got it fixed to make the gate of the 3rd stage. It was my first ever competition so it was a learning experience, and a lot of fun.

Posting cuz I finally got pics of the damage. I'm just glad it didn't hurt the transfercase mainshaft. More info on the cometitions at www.rorp.com under events. Check it out if you're in the Midwest, awesome offroad park.
DSCN3519JPG-2.jpg

inside the tailhousing... does the inner diameter stay constant or does it taper like the outter does? if it does keep the same inside diameter.... would it be possible to cut that down to use as your tailhousing for a hack-n-tap SYE? of course, if you do... you will have to either have a seal retainer machined into, or welded around the housing to hold the output seal... just an idea... but now that you have a broken one... it may be something to dump some free time into to see

BH, If you need new parts, I have them left over from my yj, all yours, just pay shipping!

Yep, too much throttle from the 2.5L ;) Actually I was high centered and my rear axle was drooped all the way, so I had very little spline engagement. Probably only about 1" to 1.5" of the splines were engaged. I was idling with the tires spinning, while winching. As soon as the tires caught traction on the rock face, boom. Big mistake. Mental note to let the winch do the work.

Snitty, I've got my SYE in the works using a piece like you describe, but it's a TJ tailhousing. Here's a pic comparing the TJ and TJ tailhousing. The TJ tailhousing allows for a seal that seals against the mainshaft. TJ is on the left, YJ on the right:
DSCN3520JPG-2.jpg

:shock: I hope you ran next door to the neighbors house to snap those pics. No self respecting Jeeper would have a driveway that clean :lol:

Jeep never sits in the driveway, so it stays clean. One of the perks of having a 3-car garage with 8ft doors. I'll be parking in the driveway if I get any more jeep parts in the garage ;)

i wish i had even a 1 car garage with 1ft doors

Back