As I type, the words slowly appear

bryanjeep

I don't get it, why do computers have to suck so much? As I type the words take forever to appear. Why is it doing this. I am surprised I havent punched the computer screen yet.

sounds like your puter is working overtime.. If its been on for a while try restarting it. Get a list of all the programs running. If they dont look like the normal one's there most likely Spyware.
Everything running slow or just the typing ?

I just turned it on. Really everything is running slow, the words are just REALLY running slow. I will never buy a computer for lesss than $1000 again. Seems like you need to spend at least a grand to get one that works descent.

Hi,

This would usually be an indication that your system's resources, primarily the RAM (temporary memory) are being used up. The best thing to try first, is to restart the computer. There is free software such as "FastDefrag" which you can download and it will attempt to free up the resources, this usually helps to regain some speed.

Keep in mind that there is no such thing as a perfect piece of computer software. Some software is better (and more stable) than others, but a problem every so often is inevitable.

Here's something worth trying: download a Free copy of Mandrake Linux (one of the many distributions of Linux, an open-source Operating system). I've been using Linux on my main computer for about a year now, and I'll never used MS windows again. Linux is inevitable :p :mrgreen:

Now, so as not to digress in this thread....
-Nick :!:

bryanjeep said:
Seems like you need to spend at least a grand to get one that works descent.

Hmm... I'd have to disagree. There are decent computers out there today selling for less than $1000. There are also shitty computers out there that cost less than $1000. It all depends on what you buy.

One problem is alot of companies advertise computers which have DVD players, CD-Burners, LCD monitors, and other goodies all for free (which is good), but they then cheap it on things like the amount and speed of the RAM, or the speed of the Hard Drive or Mainboard Bus (which is bad); things which they know the average person wouldn't bother looking closely at before they buy a computer.

Anyways, hope you can overcome your computer problems. :mrgreen:

I had all them problems as well. I had an HP and a dell and they jam pack it with all kinds of junk programs i'd never use anyway, that always take up my system resources. I ended up building my own systems for half the price and without all the headaces. You can build a great system for like 500 bucks minus the monitor. Most of the time yer paying for the name. Nice AMD processer and yer good to go(p4 and intel are over rated if you ask me). Lots of Motherboards have onboard sound, video and LAN so it can be cheaper. like XJNick says, linux. you'll never want another OS. Might want to also check for types of spyware and such that might be taking up system resources or working while you are on the internet.

I had all them problems as well. I had an HP and a dell and they jam pack it with all kinds of junk programs i'd never use anyway, that always take up my system resources. I ended up building my own systems for half the price and without all the headaces. You can build a great system for like 500 bucks minus the monitor. Most of the time yer paying for the name. Nice AMD processer and yer good to go(p4 and intel are over rated if you ask me). Lots of Motherboards have onboard sound, video and LAN so it can be cheaper. like XJNick says, linux. you'll never want another OS. Might want to also check for types of spyware and such that might be taking up system resources or working while you are on the internet.

XJNick said:
There are also shitty computers out there that cost less than $1000. It all depends on what you buy.

What kind of computers??? That is so un-MOD of you Nick. Hehehehehee :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

VERY simple Fix dewd.

First make sure all "Spy-ware" and "Ad-ware" is gone.
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Second: defrag your machine.

Sure RAM can be used up but usually not on a "Single thread" OS such as Windows. basically you are using your Processor to it's max with something in the background. Once you find that you can stop it and then you are set.

Don't always just say RAM it is a common mis-conception that has been put out there to make everyone spend more money.

Hi,

Here's the ink to the "Fast Defrag" program I mentioned above. It's a free download, so worth giving a try: http://www.amsn.ro/index.php?action=8

Also, if you are going to scan for Trojans/Spybots, be sure that in addition to the software linked to by L33TJ33P, you also download and use a program called Spybot Search & Destroy from this link: http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

I've found that using Spybot Search & Destroy and AdAware together really ensures you'll clear out any Trojans/Spybots. :mrgreen:

I haven't had that problem, but yesterday I typed a rather lengthy and articulate response for the "Shop at Sears" thread, expressing my dismay at their products and service decline over the past few years. When I hit the "Submit" button, I was taken to the log-in page (I was already logged in). After logging back in, my post was gone, splayed to the four winds, vanished, poof!!!! I was so ticked that I didn't even bother trying to retype what I had just finished typing.....I know that's not related, but I had to vent......

LGR said:
I ended up building my own systems for half the price and without all the headaces. You can build a great system for like 500 bucks minus the monitor. Most of the time yer paying for the name. Nice AMD processer and yer good to go(p4 and intel are over rated if you ask me).

LGR, I too always builld my own systems, and always with AMD processors. I find it funny because some people say not to use AMD for this reason or that, but I've never had any problems with one of their processors not to mention the money I've saved. Intel just has an exaggerated reputation. Yes their chips are good, but so are AMDs'. I think this could also be compared to what Linux is going through in the OS market. Too many people are afraid to try it because they see Microsoft as having this great reputation. :?

Mingez said:
What kind of computers??? That is so un-MOD of you Nick. Hehehehehee

Uh-oh the "un-MOD" police are after me :mrgreen: . To answer your question: computers which come with MS Windows on them. :p Ok, just kidding, I promise! < Ducking flames from the windows users >. :mrgreen: The real answer is....

Sparky-Watts said:
I haven't had that problem, but yesterday I typed a rather lengthy and articulate response for the "Shop at Sears" thread, expressing my dismay at their products and service decline over the past few years. When I hit the "Submit" button, I was taken to the log-in page (I was already logged in). After logging back in, my post was gone, splayed to the four winds, vanished, poof!!!! I was so ticked that I didn't even bother trying to retype what I had just finished typing.....I know that's not related, but I had to vent......

I have had the exact same thing you mention happen to me too. it seems the forum times out your login if you stay at a reply for too long. If you do hit submit and it asks you to log in, DO NOT login yet. First, click the BACK button once, which should return you to your post with all the text still there. Highlight all the text and copy it by clicking on edit > copy from your browser's menu OR pressing ctrl+C. Then log in from the homepage, go back to the reply screen, paste the text (Ctrl+V) and submit the reply. This way you do not loose any text :mrgreen:

I think the AMD debate is all but over. They are pretty much proven.

I do want to get a Linux based sytem. Nick, is the Linux you use interfaced with Windows GUI? I am too lazy to learn key strokes and short cuts.

"Un-Mod".... heehehehehehe. That's funny..."Shitty", but funny. :lol: :mrgreen:

mingez said:
I think the AMD debate is all but over. They are pretty much proven.

I do want to get a Linux based sytem. Nick, is the Linux you use interfaced with Windows GUI? I am too lazy to learn key strokes and short cuts.

"Un-Mod".... heehehehehehe. That's funny..."Shitty", but funny. :lol: :mrgreen:

I currently use Mandrake Linux , since it is a very user-friendly distribution, and due to the wide variety of software avaliable for it through the RPM packaging system (which is so much nicer than installing from source). Mandrake, along with the other big distributions uses either KDE or GNOME as the primary Graphical User Interface (GUI), but mandrake ships quite a few GUIs with their version of linux, so you can choose one you like. KDE however, is the most popular and IMO the best looking GUI (lots of eye-candy!). And, No, i don't use (and haven't heard of) a Windows-GUI for Linux. What'd be the point?

The keyboard shortcuts aren't all that different, as Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, Ctrl+A, etc are the same as they are in Windows, so are some of the Function keys such as F5 = Refresh, etc...
There will be some new things you have to learn about Linux, but hey, you once had to learn how to use windows too. If you can use windows, you can use Mandrake Linux.

Also you can "dual boot" windows and Linux meaning you install both OSes then decide which you want to run at boot time, either through the Windows OS selector or LILO (the LInux LOader).. :mrgreen:

Thanks first of all!
To answer your question: I guess the point would be familiarity of the "Windows look", without the BS and inefficiency of Dos. I guess my fear comes from when I took some Unix classes, navigating strictly with keystrokes was cumbersome. I hated it.

I know linux is not like that, but I was just inquiring about the user friendliness of the OS. And from your response, sounds pretty intuitive. So I'll try it. :D

without the BS and inefficiency of Dos

Whoa Whoa Whoa home slice , , , you tell me ANYTHING that isn't a DOS or NOS and I will show you a computer that doesn't work. Pick and choose your DOS (Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, HP-UX, etc etc) but they are ALL DOS.

;) had to catch you on that one dewd. If you want to talk Processors though I will deffinantly have to go with Intel XEON. Blows AMD out of the water.

make sure you have up to date anti-virus software, there are quite a few viruses that will do just that.

I know linux is not like that, but I was just inquiring about the user friendliness of the OS. And from your response, sounds pretty intuitive. So I'll try it.

Just like when you first learned how to use a computer, took a little time but ya catch on. Get yourself the teach yourself linux in 24 hours book. read it at work. Have it by your side when you use the OS, you'll be fine.

If you want to talk Processors though I will deffinantly have to go with Intel XEON. Blows AMD out of the water.

Never really heard anything about the XEON processer. But prolly has nothing on AMDs new 64 bit processer....even though they cost an arm and a leg right now.

Back