Hate to spark a debate

L33TJ33P

But I thought EVERYONE should see this. This is what this country is comming to.

Imagine if you will.

I gathering of 100 Homosexuals get together at a public government owned park to sing "Kumbaya" would they be asked to leave?

Say 200 Hippies gather to play frisbie and talk bad about the government and how bad the president is doing in his job.

Maybe a Rally to say that prejudice is alive and well in the USA and needs to stop?

Would they be asked to leave or have there groups festivities broken up and interupted?

Well, how about this?

As written on CNN.Com

RICHMOND, Virginia (AP) -- The Rev. Todd Pyle thought it was the perfect spot to baptize 12 new members of his church. The river was calm and shallow, and there was a shaded area offshore for people to stand.

"It was a very serene place," he said. "It was special."

But officials at the Falmouth Waterfront Park, a public park just outside Fredericksburg, weren't pleased. They tried to break up the ceremony, claiming it might be offensive to nearby swimmers or other people using the park. Pyle was able to finish the baptism, but then he was asked to leave.

The incident has outraged free-speech advocates.

"These people are being discriminated against because of the content of their speech," said the Rev. Patrick Mahoney, who heads the Christian Defense Coalition. "It's one of the most egregious violations of the First Amendment I have ever seen."

Mahoney's group has threatened to file a lawsuit if the park refuses to allow future gatherings by religious groups, something for which the park admits it has no written policy.

Pyle said he chose to hold an outdoor baptism, still common in parts of the South, because his Cornerstone Baptist Church in Stafford lacks an indoor baptismal pool. He said few people seemed to notice the small congregation during the 30-minute ceremony May 23.

But park officials said religious groups seeking to perform a service in the park still need to apply for a permit or else gather under a shelter or inside.

"We don't want to tread on anybody's First Amendment or constitutional rights," said Brian Robinson, director of the Fredericksburg-Stafford Park Authority. "What we try to discourage is anything not formally permitted that just sort of occurs spontaneously."

John Whitehead, director of The Rutherford Institute, a Charlottesville, Virginia-based civil liberties organization, said that's a clear violation of the church members' constitutional rights.

"Could a church have a picnic in the park and sing hymns? Of course they could," he said. "Parks have been forums since time immemorial to do these types of things."

The American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia also said in a statement: "If the park rules allow people to wade and swim in the river, then they must allow baptisms in the river."

Robinson said the park's board has formed a special committee to examine its policy and to put it in writing. If the church applies for the proper permit, he said it's "certainly possible" they would be allowed to use the river for another baptism.

Meanwhile, Pyle said he will find another place to hold outdoor baptisms.

"We're disappointed," he said. "Every single person that was baptized thanked me afterward, saying [the river] made their experience more meaningful."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/06/02/baptism.ban.ap/index.html

Hmmm, what if 100 hippie homosexuals gathered in a park to talk bad about the government while getting baptized?

That is BULL-CRAP!!!
I am not a religious man, but that is an obviouis infringement on those peoples rights. Gays, Hippies, and Religious folks should ALL be allowed to peaceful gatherings. I am a free speech advocate, and that offends me greatly! Those "officials" who ever they are need to get a grip, and realize this isn't Nazi Germany. You can't pick and choose who get's to benefit from the liberties this great country affords!

I don't think you'll get a debate on this. Seems pretty cut and dry to me. That is just ridiculous.

sounds like someone made a big oops... its one thing if there's a rule that says youneed a permit for any activities, but no clear rule? i dont think so.. I'm not religious but i think someone overstepped their bounds. Of course the press and the religious groups are blowing it all out of proportion...

I think its no big deal..let 'em do there thing, its not bothering anyone. I mean, sure get a permit, its not that hard. In my town if 20 of us went to the local park to play baseball in the baseball field we'd have to get a permit. Just cause its alot of people. Sure its not big deal, takes an extra day to set up. Just people looking for somthing to complain about, some people have nothing better to do.

Typical. You can do just about anything in this country, and justify it by saying it's your "right", except of course, be a Christian. That may be offensive to some :x

I am so happy to see that our tax dollars are not wasted on the poor and needy!

what a bunch of nobs! these people need to get a clue or a hobby or something. something to occupy their time, I know how about a Jeep to work on in their spare time.

There has been two masque built in the USA over the last couple of years on national forest land given freely but the christians best not use a stream of a few moments to baptise some new christians. I was just not going to get involved in this one but what the heck! I have gotten good at ticken off the heathen lost. Heck fire someones got to do why not me! Folks enjoy this country and take plenty of mental photos of how things are cause it will be changed forever today, tomorow, and everyday after that till there is no America left. Land of the free and home of the brave will be land of the controled, and home of the sheep! Wait and see. I live in a county, in a state where we pretty much say bit me to politicaly correctness. We have Prayer and it is in abundance. Public prayer, in the schools and at the football games over the loud speakers. As well as many other places that would offend many! Our way of seeing it is "if you do not like it go some place else"! I think about a quarter million or so American Christians ought to get togather and go down there to that park / creek and waller it dry! Stand for something or fall for anything. Tug

Cooper All Country MT

The operative phrase I always see in these articles is "...it might be offensive to someone". It offends me that they can't do it. There is a great website for all this sort of PC BS http://www.tonguetied.us/
This country use to be united, but now the "left wing liberals" have it totally divided. But if there were no division, Rev Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would be unemployed.

Oh well, like I've been saying all along, "free speech, for the dumb".

For the record, I am religious and I PERSONALLY don't see any problems with the baptisms given that it's an open park and no one was being harmed by the baptisms; but I do recognize that this can be problematic. Before I get to the problematic portion, I'll add a few other points...

The country was no more united years or decades ago...there was just one homogenious voice speaking so it presented the appearance of unity if you overlook the nuances. Other voices were just institutionally silenced via segregation, institutional racism, sexism, etc.

It is also a fallacy to assume that "left wing liberals" have divided the country...just as it is a fallacy to assume that "right wing conservatives" want to force their values on every one else. Anytime you try to put such broad, multidimensional issues under a simplistic black or white label...it's misleading, serves no one, and gets no closer the real problem or a real solution...that's why were constantly dealing with some of the same stupid issues.

I'd say fewer than 10% (maybe fewer than 5%) of the people in this country would be completely described by the term "liberal" or "conservative" or "left wing" or "right wing"...yet so many people use those terms as the very anchor of their argument. We tend to have a pack or gang culture where we view political issues as teams...forget thoughtful discussion and comprehension both sides of the issue, you've got to root for your team. Heck, we even have team colors (GOP=Red and Dems=blue).

For instance, let's say one person's beliefs/practices include the following (this person just so happens to be me):

- Religious (and churchgoing)
- Avid environmentalist
- An entrepreneur/responsible capitalist
- Support strong military and defense (but without wasteful spending)
- Support affirmative action (done wisely)
- For Afganistan war/operation agaist Taliban
- Support war on terrorism executed wisely
- Against Iraq war (then and now) given the way it was sold and executed...
- ...but belive that we're committed now and have to see it through
- Strongly support the troops
- Pro-life with exceptions
- Former military (current inactive reservist)
- Support homosexual unions, against homosexual marriage
- Agree with Sharpton/Jackson on some issues, not on others
- Agree with Bush on some issues, not on others
- Agree with Kerry on some issues, not on others

So what does this make me? A Stinking Liberal Who Whats to Take America Apart Brick by Brick? An Evil Nazi-Like Conservative Who Wants Impose His Social Order on Everyone Else? The vast majority of people fall in the grey area between the two extremes and have values that are a mix of the two.

AS FOR THE ISSUE AT HAND, I think what we have here is the officials being very strict in there keying in on the sepearation of church and state (similar to the ten commandments in Alabama), maybe even appropriately so. I didn't have an issue with the ten commandments in the court house (though I wasn't going to go rally for it) and I do think the worshipers should be allowed to baptize in the river. In similar examples, many government offices will not allow you to use those offices for religious activities even after hours (e.g. bible study).

Now, if we want to invoke free speech to allow such things, understand that this also means that if a satanic group wanted to have a similar ceremony on public lands, the government would be obliged to allow it. I think many of the same people that are outraged over the baptisms would be similarly outraged if the government allowed satanic rituals to occur on government (i.e. "tax-payer") property. This is just one example of what could and would likely follow.

The whole rule of separation of church and state, as one person put it, is not to protect the state from the church, but rather the church from the state. If you go play by play of what could and would likely happen over years and decades if this rule were not present...you would likely find that centuries, if not decades, down the road, we'd have an government taking overtly religous positions (i.e. a religious government)...you'd just have to hope the government in power at the time is YOUR religion...otherwise you might be SOL. IT'S A SLIPPERY SLOPE that has never failed to cause governments to slide way down toward the bottom throughout the course of human civilization.

Look at how the two major parties (Dems & Pubs) unabashedly redraw districts to favor themselves when they're in power. Politicians have developed a culture where it's considered fair game to do this...even though power switches periodically...hence we have periodic redistricting to done explicitly to favor the "ruling" party. Now imagine this in a religious context.

:)

BIGGER PJ Crusher

bigTlilODD said:
The operative phrase I always see in these articles is "...it might be offensive to someone". It offends me that they can't do it. There is a great website for all this sort of PC BS http://www.tonguetied.us/
This country use to be united, but now the "left wing liberals" have it totally divided. But if there were no division, Rev Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would be unemployed.

Oh well, like I've been saying all along, "free speech, for the dumb".

Let's not blame this... (along with every other issue our country has) on the LIBERAL SCAPEGOAT. I know it's the easy way out, but it's not a logical conclusion. Dismiss this, and I will dismiss the notion that it's all the right-winged facists fault as well.

It isn't a liberal vs. conservative issue. It's a human rights issue, one that both sides support. They (the religious folk in said article) are free to baptise in any river I use, and I am not fond of any belief system. I'm just able to celebrate their freedoms reguardless of what I think of their beliefs because that's the American way.

What happened to them is CRAP and I fully support their ability to worship. Freakin' slack-jawed local government yokels with nothing better to do.

-----------------------------------------
Religion in government on the other hand, is a scary, no-- TERRIFYING notion.

I´ve never been considered a main stream thinker, I rarley fall into a catagory completely. But am generally conservative.
New plans, directions and bright ideas, rarley work out as planned. Like the ecology, the outcome is rarley what was invisioned.
Much of religion, seems to me to be a set of guidelines, identifying the guard rails (so to speak) and warning of the consequences, when wandering to far from the path.
Many of the speeches concerning the moral bankruptcy of the Communist system, were concerning there outlawing of religion. All direction, comes from the government. We all know where that led.
Another example of the communist falacy, was almost total governmental control, over how the children were to be raised. The ideal, being both parents would work in a state owned factory and the children would in effect be a ward of the state, to be trained and educated by the state.
What I´m trying to say, is many of the things that were, in the 50 and 60´s, pointed out to be the fundemental differences between Communism and Democracy and touted as the basic corruption of their system. Seem to be where the U.S. is heading, or are pretty near enough there, that there is little difference. And the outcome will probably be the same.
You take a religion, that has been up and running for a couple of thousand years (give or take), and decide in a generation to throw it all away or to suppress it to the point of extinction. Generally, seems pretty darned arrogant, with a poor sense of history and will probably end in unforseen consequencies. Aids, drugs, Barons (gangs), unwanted pregnancy, abortion as solution to recreational sex. The "whatever feels good" is the objective, the responsibilty is the states, the consequences are the individuals (in the short term), but everybodies in the long term.
I´m not generally anti-government, but would much rather trust the concensus of the first hundred people in any telephone book, than a few bright, atriculate leaders, who are leading us in a direction, I doubt will be fruitfull. Or leaders that are allowing the tail (special interests) to wag the dog (the majority).
To much Law really narrows the possiblities, to little, leads to chaos. Suppressing religion, will probably lead to lack of direction and allow the population/government to the make the same old mistakes in the same old way. A whole lot of abandoned/failed cities and countrys to study around the world. We should probably learn from their mistakes or maybe from some of the authors of the Bible, that tried to explain, how things went wrong and what generally works, to avoid the problems and pitfalls of the past.

The Gospel by, Chuck :D

For the record I am a Christian, veteran, and dedicated husband/father who is petrified for his two sons (3&5) future. It seems anything that has to do with the Christian religions is quickly becoming taboo in our society. I live in Louisiana and recently a coach for a High School football team was condemned for saying a prayer with his team before a game. None of the players objected just someone who was sitting in the stands who thought this was too much for him to witness. The ACLU of course had to get involved and cause a big controversy. It seems that lately if your cause has anything to do with subjects that would have totally repulsed us thirty years ago are worth fighting for and religious values are out.

Most fallen Cities/States (nations) were theocracies... just food for thought. That's a historical fact.

And as far as throwing away religion (which BTW I am NOT a proponent of), which "thousand year old" religion does one deem to be the correct one. It's a common misconception that they all pretty much follow the same guidelines.

Arrogance is to say that one's particular belief system is the one and only. The problem is.. ALL belief systems think this to be true.

BTW- AIDS is not the result of a lack of faith. That's nobodies fault, and EVERYONE's problem to solve.

Seems like "The home of the brave and the land of the free" "One nation under God", is becoming more and more intolerant of Christian, heterosexuals and traditional thinking. They talk of the nation being extremely polarized, small wonder why. They always talk of liberal and conservative, maybe more apt titles would be progressives and traditionalists.
Seems sometimes the progressives, in there crusade for equality, feel it necessary, to suppress somebody elses rights or politically handicap the traditionalists. Seems like kind of a proactive agenda, designed to make a part of the population over in there image. When the communists used to pull the same tricks, it was called subversion.
When the traditionalists start pushing back, it´s usually called intolerance, but is it really? Might it be, reacting against the subversion of there children and community?
I can picture the Romans, requiring a permit, for John the Baptist to do his thing and the Jews supporting them, to promote there own agendas. Just change the names of the participants, the scenerio fits. Making the same old mistakes, in the same old ways, for different reasons.

mingez said:
Most fallen Cities/States (nations) were theocracies... just food for thought. That's a historical fact.

And as far as throwing away religion (which BTW I am NOT a proponent of), which "thousand year old" religion does one deem to be the correct one. It's a common misconception that they all pretty much follow the same guidelines.

Arrogance is to say that one's particular belief system is the one and only. The problem is.. ALL belief systems think this to be true.

BTW- AIDS is not the result of a lack of faith. That's nobodies fault, and EVERYONE's problem to solve.

I´m not buying off on the THIS religion is the one and only, just like I´m not buying off on abberant sexual behavior is a constitutional right.
I listend to an Evangilist in L.A. in 1972, part of his message, was that "free love", "recreational sex" or whatever, was going to lead to a reccurance of thousand year old problems (numerous sexually tranmitted diseases) and/or the appearance of a new and more deadly type (he was about ten years ahead of his time, using thousand year old information). He sited, writtings from the Tora and passages from the Bible both. Wasn´t buying off, on much of what the guy had to say, but parts made too much sense to ignore. So I curbed my rather free wheeling ways, just before the appearnace of HIV and other less deadly but damaging varieties of social diseases. Was one of the near misses that made me relize, following the rules (or guidelines in the bible) wasn´t necessarily a bad thing and the messages in many religions are pertinant to this time and place.
Funny I´d learned almost the exactly the same things, in an animal husbandry class, I was taking at the local community colledge. Same message, different delivery system, both correct.

Back