Whats the biggest motor seen in a CJ?

ROGLSTUBB

I was going through some pictures of an old Trans am I once had and had remembered I traded it to a guy how wanted to put the 403 Olds powerplant in his CJ. I dont know if he ever got it in there I was in the service at the time and left soon after I traded it. I was just curious what was the biggest motor you can put in a CJ and still close the hood?

As far as the external dimensions of an engine, I'm not sure which one is the biggest. The biggest displacements I have personally seen under the hoods of CJs were a couple of stroked 496cid and a 540cid Chevrolet BB.
I've seen a couple of TJs with Viper V10s in magazines and on the net.

The current JP has a CJ with the V-10 out of a viper .

The biggest I have ever seen was a 454 chevy in a 84 CJ7

Rolling code on '96 Grand Cherokee Homelink

TwistedTJ said:
The current JP has a CJ with the V-10 out of a viper .

The biggest I have ever seen was a 454 chevy in a 84 CJ7

Same here.

The biggest I have seen was a 454 as well (In a CJ5)

It's funny how "biggest" can mean 2 different things - Chevrolet had truck engines (366CID & 427CID) that was a special block they called the tall-deck version - I believe they had a deck height that was 4/10 inch taller than the passenger car engines to accomodate a 4 ring piston design (extreme duty usage in gas powered trucks) - anyway, you can have a 366CID BBC that has the HP of a large B&S mower engine that is physically bigger than a 502CID GM crate engine (regular car block) that will tingle the testies at quarter throttle - the new BBC 572CID crate engines are of the tall deck version because of the increased stroke - so does "biggest" mean what fills the engine cavity the most or what gives the boys their sensation upon demand? For me, it's definately the later!!! LBR

You can make a 2.5l smoke a V8. It's not only the size of the engine, but what that engine can do with it's size. The bigger engine will always win when built to produce power in a similar fashion as the smaller engine it's being compared to. There is an old saying that goes "There is no replacement for displacement". The saying is right, but it can only hold true if both engines are built to their maximum potential. The key to running the smaller engine is to make sure your combo is better matched and tuned than the other guy. Big blocks are scary when you are faced with one, but there is comfort in knowing that not too many guys have both the knowledge AND finances to take advantage of those extra cubic inches.
Also, we are dealing with a short wheelbase here and most of us are lifted on top of it. With my little 8" of lift, big bias belted tires, and built 304 my Jeep can scare the crap out of you during a full throttle upshift to second. I can't imagine trying to deal with an engine that is hundreds of pounds heavier and making hundreds of pounds more torque.

Ya, they can do strange things when stomped on - my 76 has a BBC 461 CID with the M-21 transmission - definately a secondary ride and not a daily cruiser LBR

Well I quess that answers my question then. I was thinking how I had thought at the time it would not have been an easy fit. The Trans am motor looked a little long to fit if I remember correctly. I believe he was looking at putting his radiator in front of the grill if he had to.

hmmm anyone hear the latest rumor? word has it you can bore your jeep either 30 or 40 over and A hemi head, will bolt to the top of the great 2.5!

hmmm anyone hear the latest rumor? word has it you can bore your jeep either 30 or 40 over and A hemi head, will bolt to the top of the great 2.5!

then it will crank out an amazing 150 HP :mrgreen:

well couple it with some headers and a cat back and youll be doing just as well as the I6

Back