9 Pics of CJ project

firemanharry

Been down for a few months due to surgery but I'm back and here's my completed (at least together and running) Jeep. Is a Jeep ever REALLY completed? Here's what we did to her. Started with an 83 CJ-7, Stripped down to the frame, swapped on a 91 YJ tub, raised the body and motor mounts up 3" on the frame, dropped in a fuel injected 350 with an SM465 transmission behind it, built a new roll cage, new seats, new top, twin-sticked the dana 300, and dropped in a new CD player. WHEW!!

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

8)

wanted cj7 to chevy v8 motor mounts, radiator

It looks sick dude! You did a great job on it. How do you like the flat skid?

Flat bottom works great. Going to build an exoskeleton to protect the sides and front end a bit and a few small things I need to finish up. Took her up some rocks and through some mud and she's running great!! 8)

Here are links to my imagestation albums if you'd care to see the work as it was in progress.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4286501111
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288863977
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288075579
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287674313

MJ auto transmission help

i like the monster style shifter, at shoulder level... good place to rest the hand

Thanks Snitty. The guys wanted to cut it down and I said "nah, it'll work fine just where it is"......and it IS perfect for hangin' your hand on. Gotta get one of those big lighted skull shifters for the top. :roll: 8)

That shifter is ala Rat Fink! Mean lookin". LBR

firemanharry, i'm just getting started with a tub swap on my 84 cj. i've got a 91 body and frame to work with and was just wondering if there is anything, other than torx bolts that may give me trouble. is there anything i need to watch out for?

i notice that your tailgate hinges down - i'm still undecided about wether or not to leave the side-swing tailgate on my 91 tub. was there any problems with fit-up with the cj gate and the cut-out in the yj body?

i hope mine looks as good as yours when i'm done. btw, mine are both yellow too.
thanks,
yeller

LGR - I'm in the Northwestern corner of Ocean County.

olyeller - The body swap went pretty smooth but I used the '83 frame on mine so i don't know if you'll run into any differences around the front end or not. The tailgate lined right up, just had to make the holes and backing plates for the hinges. I used the warrior corners to cover the old hinge mounting holes and to hide the gas filler hole on the driver's side. 8)

i'm using my 84 frame, just using the tub from the 91. i'm trying to rescue the 91 - it was set up for drag racing. the jeep had been lowered. it had the original motor mounts and front shock mounts cut out and a v-8/automatic in it with a ford 9" rear end with moser axles in it. it was even running nitrous. the fellas who set the jeep up for racing didn't do a very professional job, so i thought that it would be easier to just use my frame.

right now, i'm about ready to set the 91 tub on my frame. i've just got to paint the frame and running gear. while its disassembled as much as it is, i think i'm going to replace the rear frame crossmember with something a little heavier than the formed crossmember that came from the factory. after that, i'll be ready to set the tub into place.

thanks again,
yeller

it was set up for drag racing. the jeep had been lowered. it had the original motor mounts and front shock mounts cut out and a v-8/automatic in it with a ford 9" rear end with moser axles in it. it was even running nitrous.

That's going to be a future project for me. I want a YJ with a 2wd XJ beam front axle and a narrow-track CJ AMC20 rear so I can tuck some monster tires under the back and some little skinnies on the front. Gut it, fiberglass tilt front end, aluminum tonneau cover.....and some serious power between the fenders. :twisted:

Back