Operation : Fab Offroad Light Mounts

jeepmaster

i just got 2 500,000 candle power 8" aircraft landing lights. however they do not have a way of mounting them. i plan to make some mounts that also double as rock guards for the front. kind of like a little basket/case thing. anyone got any ideas on what i should use? or know of somewhere i can get pre-made housings for an 8" light. they're not very deep, only about 3". my plan right now is to go to lowe's and wander around and look for things i could possibly use.

I really don't have any ideas. But I know with aircrafts, they are usually not twelve volt systems. I don't know if you know what type of aircraft they came off of, but even most of the smaller planes and jets are 28 volt systems.

thats my two cents

Sure they'll be usable, if its not a 12 volt system it'll work just not 500,000 candlepower. it'll be lower.

jeepmaster said:
it operates at 120 volts

You'll be lucky to get ANY light out of an 120 volt filament at 12 volts... but it is still possible...they'd be pretty dim though!

If you really want to use them you could probably find a DC/DC converter to step up the voltage from 12 volts DC to 120 volts DC, but it is probably not worth it. For one you'll waste a lot of power, and also DC/DC converters of the power capacity which you'd need are not cheap or easy to find.

-Nick :!:

crap.. im gonna go hook them up right on the battery real quick and see if they're worth it and im gonna look on ebay for an invertor

i just went out and wired up the lights to my battery and they're easily twice as bright as my brights if not more, they lit up my garage in broad daylight so im not gonna worry about the invertor and just wire them up. does anyone have the "night vision" package for their surco roof rack?

Hi,

And your sure they're 120 volt lamps? This doesn't sound right if you're getting that much light out of them :?

this is wierd.. i just checked the box and it says 120 volt and a bulb number, but i checked the bulbs and they have a stamp with 28 volt and a diff. bulb number. i looked the new bulb # up online and its got the same candle power. so no im not sure they're 120 lol, im not sure what they are, but they're bright

Hi,

Sounds like the fixtures might have come with 120 volt lamps in them, but now have 28 volt lamps in them. What's the lamp number?

Anyways, it makes sense to be getting light out of 28 volt lamps at 12 volts. :mrgreen:

i would agree. they dont have fixtures, just the bulb..i guess if i was actually using them on a plane, the plane would already have a fixture so im still working on that part

Back