new daily driver

Nymisus

Well I have gotten tired of filling up my 20 gallon tank twice a week and want a more, reliable vehicle. So tomarrow I'm going to go look at some mazda3s, anyone have any experience with them?? they are pretty well priced and seem to have a good amount of power with the 2.3L version. I was looking at some kias, but the mazda looks alot better. Anyone got any other suggestions for a new relatively cheap good gas mileage car??

I hope this doesn't mean the jeep is getting the boot. I had an old 89 mazda MX6 that was great on gas. 4 cylinder 5 speed.

there is no way I would ever get rid of the jeep, I want something I can drive to work and when it is raining and not have to worry about hurting my "toy"....I will be heavily modifying it after this purchase....I don't think I could ever get rid of it, I'm addicted to this beast!!

Nymisis-I can't blame you. Due to gas prices and also the constant rain in my area, I've also thought it sure would be sweat to have a little economy beater that I could just drive around town to work and stuff. I would never get rid of the jeep either. I have to wait to buy a car though, since my Jeep is so new. It is definately in the future though when my lease is out and then I will mod heavier too with another car to drive. Good luck on your purchase.

Lady

I have had good luck and good gas mileage with the smaller VWs like a golf or something.

a hybrid jeep?? now that is an idea, I wonder how much actual power you could get in one of those??

We just picked up a civic sedan about 6 months ago. I did a lot of research since getting good gas mileage and reliability was our goal for my wife's daily commute. It boiled down to the Mazda 3 or the Honda Civic. We typically get around 38 MPG from it. It doesn't have as much power as the mazda, but it did cost a bit less as well. The other option is the Civic hybrid which gets ~50 MPG, but I didn't test drive it. Both the Mazda and our Civic are fun to drive, not nearly as much as the Jeep though!!

Also, a note on the VW. We traded a 96 golf in for the civic. The reason, shot transmission. If you do get a VW (and we loved ours) do not get an auto. They are engineered to only last ~80,000 miles, which is exactly when ours went (86,000). Audi uses the same auto, so the same thing for them, as well as some Porsche models. You cannot repair them, they are sealed and a replacement will run you ~$3500-3800 with labor. Hence, the trade in. Ours was going but not gone and my friend who is a service manager at VW Los Angeles told me to trade it in "They won't test drive it.". And when we did trade in, they didn't test drive it. We got away with one there.

well I went and looked at one earlier, I'm getting ready to go test drive it and most likely buy it....I can't wait, its so exciting buying a new car....except when I was getting my jeep I was probally 50 times more excited than I am now....hope all the paper work part goes ok, my dad is going with me so if not he said he would co-sign for me

Hope everything goes well and you get it. Is it the Mazda that you think you'll get?

I get so excited when buying a used vehicle, I can't even imagine what it's like buying a brand new one!!

Rausch Creek - August Oink - August 21st / 22nd

Whatever you do, stay away from the KIA's. Two people on my block had them (past tense). The motor on one shelled at 25k, still under warranty. New motor shelled at 10k. Got that fixed, 2k later the transmission went out. He took them to court and got his money back, and from what I hear, the dealer is walkin' kinda funny, too. The other guy has had so many problems, it's just unreal. Everything from engine to transmission to havin' the doors almost falling off. It's only 9 months old, less than 5k on it, and the doors are drooping so bad they won't latch without lifting up the door while slamming it repeatedly. He paid around $8000 for it new, and no dealership will give him more than $1000 on it for a trade in, even a few said they wouldn't even take it at all.

I drove a '95 Civic for about a year, and really liked it. I got between 40 and 45 mpg in it, and it had a lot of zip for a 4 banger.

well I just got home from the mazda place and bought me a new mazda3.....I like it alot, it is way fast...well compared to my jeep. It's got alot of acceleration for a 2.3...now I can save for my jeep and be able to take my time on all my mods

Congrats.. I'm looking for a possible daily driver too. I've been looking at your usual, civics, jettas, saturns, etc. You can't go wrong with the Japanese eco cars. Sometimes they are a bit over priced though. Have fun, and just think of all the gas money that'll be going into mods for your jeep!

oh I already have a long list of mods for the jeep...although I am going to buy a M1A1 Socom first

I know a girl who just bought a hybrid of some sort or something that gets 60-65 mpg. Can you believe that crap? LOL

I need to hurry up and pay my jeep off, you ain't kidding. Civic's are great, they can be run right into the ground and keep on going. My family had a bunch of them in Texas and they drove city beltways alot, ran great and lasted a long time.

Congrats dude!!! There isn't anything like buying a new car and getting it on the road for the first week or two!

Lady

Back