I'm Back and need help

avyoung

Well I got all moved up to Idaho but I had a little bump in the road. The transmission in my S-10 Blazer went out on the way up here. I am wondering if anyone knows how hard it is to rebuild a 4l60-e. Can I do it myself? I would really like to save $1000 and do it myself if I can because I can not afford a rebuilt one right now.

Anyway aside from my problems with my Blazer things went OK and we moved into a house. I just have to finish remodeling the kitchen for mywife before I can work on my Jeep anymore.

Good to hear from you. That sucks about your truck. So how do you like idaho so far?

Well I like it. Although I work for the state so the pay isn't the best but we got a nice LITTLE house. I went up to a really nice place in the mountains for work a last week but I really have not ventured very far with all the work on the house. It been tough with a new baby, new house, and new job, but I am hoping that as soon as I get the kitchen done hopefully this weekend that I will be able to go exploring.

Ahhh to be young and have a new born! Better you than I my friend. It will get better as time goes on! Not.... hehehehe tug

judging from the fact that you have a 4l60-e, must be a 98+ s-10. I would check a couple junkyards and/or ebay for a good deal. that is an electronic transmission and I have no clue about a rebuild!

front sway bar on TJ need help

Automatics require a lot of specialty tools that would more than likely add up to the cost of a rebuild.
What in particular was the transmission doing? 4L60E's have been known to have problems with the servo valve getting stuck and not letting the transmission shift properly. If that is the case, you can have the servo valve changed and the fluid flushed for about $250-300. A complete rebuild will run you over $1000, unless you know somebody.
There are other options as well. Advance and Autozone have a core exchange where you bring yours in and get a freshly remanned one. It's a lot cheaper than letting a shop do it. I wouldn't trust a trans from them though.
You can go to a junkyard and get one out of a low mileage vehicle for a reasonable price.
You can pull it yourself and have a shop bench build it for you and save on the labor charges for removing and installing. A local shop that I spoke with said he would bench build a th400 for me for $400. You are probably looking at a little more for the 4L60E just because the parts will e more costly.
Good luck with it.

It is a 94. When I hit the gas it speeds up really slowly but will hold OK once I am at speed. It also lost about 4 quarts on the way up and is all over the bottom and back of the Blazer, but has not leaked a drop since I parked it in the garage 3 weeks ago. I am pretty sure that I fried it when I noticed the ATF on the back window. I have looked into the Autozone one. They want $1300 and I had one rebuild in a work truck a few years ago and it cost about $2200. I will call some shops and see what they will charge to bench build one

Thanks If anyone has any other suggestions let me know.

Sounds like the torque converter. The reason it feels fine at speed may be because it has a lock-up converter. I don't know too much about the newer automatics, sorry.

Sorry I can't offer much help on the transmission, but welcome back to Jeepz, and congrats on the new house,job,baby! A buddy of mine bought a manual for a YJ from a junkyard and it's been running for around 4 years now. I'll admit it is kind of a crap-shoot though. Maybe you can find one from a totalled Blazer or something.

Best of luck with it.

Hey Tug - when are those kids of yours gonna be ready to give you some grandkids to sneeze on you? You ready for the second round?

hehehe Grampaw Tug hehehe

I hope all of my good advise will pay off. The main thing I tell em is wear protection till you turn 18 if you can not wait till then. And then go to the doctor and get that thing fixed. The world has enough people now dont add to the list. Tug's words of wisdom "You can have kids or you can have any thing you want but you can not have both" Find a gal you like with a good income get a good income of your own and be DINK's >"Dual Income No Kid's" Then you will have no problems going on them cruises and buying them big ol expencive toys and keeping that house clean and decorated and anything else you want. Leave Toys are Us for the rookies. hehehe tug

The electronic transmissions have a few sensors that are common to go out. When they do go out the transmission usually goes into a limp mode where it is stuck in 3rd gear. Some times they will go into lower gears if you manually select them. This is a problem I have with my 94zj now. put the selector in drive you start off in third gear unless you select 2 or 1. mine turned out to be a pressure sensor $140 bucks. I was able to get diagonstic info by buying a manual specificatly for my trans. they have a manual for your trans according to my manual. try these web sites for your manual www.transonline.com or www.atsgmiami.com. These are informative about diagnostics and parts replacement. fair priced too, my manual cost me 20 bucks. sure beats the stealerships cost of 81 dollars to dianose my problem for me.

Back