fire extinguisher

LGR

So, I scored me a free small kiddie dry chem, with the small mounting bracket so i can fit it on my roll bar, now the thing is its a BC, normally I always see ABC. Will this be fine for putting out a small fire i might encounter with the jeep or whatever? I know we got people who can answer this question

Let me say first that all this info I am about to tell you is via my girlfrend. She is very smart!

A,B, and C all stand for something.

A = Ash (wood fire)
B = Barrel (chemical fire)
C = Circut (electrical fire)

So since your fire extinguisher says BC on it, you should be in good shape since you won't be having any wood fires on your jeep! Unless you have those classic wooden bumpers!

Joop

and Joop's GF

I talked to a firefighter about those powder type extinguishers. Bad news, they won't even put out a cigarrette. I recommend you getting the refillable kind.

bryanjeep said:
I talked to a firefighter about those powder type extinguishers. Bad news, they won't even put out a cigarrette. I recommend you getting the refillable kind.

really.... they will put out most small fires with no trouble. I have seen the small Kidde ABC ones put out a fire under a car hood, used one on a tent, campfire - they work great.... if you get it before it gets too big for the amount of chemical it contains.

a personal extinguisher will put out a small fire, but if it gets out of hand get away from the car because so many toxic fumes start coming from under your hood, it could cause some serious injury.

well compared to what a firefighter has at his disposal.... it should do the trick for most of your fire needs... anything that you cant get with it is probably out of control anyway

Tug-n-pull said:
Just drive her into the lake river creek or what ever you have handy hehehehe tug

Yup....cleaning up a water-logged Jeep is cheaper than buying a new one!!

Depending on the size of the fire and the cause, you should be ok with that extinguisher. If it's an electrical fire, there's a good chance it'll spark up again unless you cut the battery cable right away. If it's a fuel line cut that's running gas on a hot header, it'll probably fire up again, too......just be very, very, very careful when you pop the hood to put out the fire. I've seen too many people burned that way. First of all, the hood will channel all that heat directly at you as you start to open it. Second, that extra shot of good, clean air will really get the fire roasting good. If you do have to open the hood, squat down lower than the level of the hood, and open it just enough to get the extinguisher nozzle under it and start spraying and praying! Better to have a toasted Jeep than a toasted Jeeper, so please be safe!!

I herd stories of people having there fire extinguishers set off when they were parked .

Not cool to clean up all that over some joke.

White said:
I herd stories of people having there fire extinguishers set off when they were parked .

Not cool to clean up all that over some joke.

Yes it happens. It happens alot actually. They get stolen alot too.

People have this thing about messing around in Jeeps. Do convertible car owners have to deal with this stuff? If they don't just steal it, they have to play with it. I can't have nice shifter knobs unless I drill and pin them in place. I can't have a radio with knobs unless I want to bust my eardrums or blow a speaker the next time I crank the Jeep. I have to keep a trash bag behind my seat. How do my hood latches keep getting undone? Why is the seat moved forward? Where's my sunglasses? Why is the adjustable redline on the tach and the shiftlight now set at 4,000 rpm?

Makes you just want to commit a felony. :evil:

went to chesapeake city...

Those little extinguishers work pretty well. My Mother had to put out a fire under the hood of her new car years ago, worked like a champ for a $10 Wal-Mart special! The dipstick for the Auto Trans was never installed. First steep grade she went up it leaked out on the exhaust manifold- poof!

As to folks messing with Jeeps, I believe that problem to be secondary to seagulls and pigeons!

yea but be careful squatting down, cause that gets your face down there read to get toasted. i too have heard fire extinguisher stores.. junk pile it sounds like you need a dog.. they protect your stuff and they dont have to even look tough. plus if you get a fairly decent looking one it'll double the female attention your jeep recieves. ladies love to look over at badazz jeeps and see a dog hanging out.

this is a little off topic but how do you keep those things secure. I would think that a fire extinguisher on the roll bar would be stolen pretty quick.

Back